AroundCampus

AroundCampus Reviews

Updated Jul 7, 2014

AroundCampus President John O'Brien

John O'Brien

Pros:
  • "You learn a lot about yourself in this position"
    in 12 reviews
  • "The training program in Chapel Hill allows you to meet lots of other students from across the country"
    in 20 reviews
Cons:
  • "Long long hours and it is not as easy as it seems to make a sale"
    in 19 reviews
  • "Product you are selling can be expensive and hard to sell"
    in 9 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

This was a great place to intern.

Outside Sales Representative (Former Employee)

ProsYou get to work by yourself for most of the day. Management was very helpful. Really looks good on a resume. Team bonding was very strong. Opportunities to move to a new market when you're done with the current one. All expense paid trip to NC. You get out what you put in.

ConsCompensation is low. You put a lot of miles on your car, and it gets really hot.

Advice to Senior ManagementMaybe up the compensation or do something to help with gas

One of the most life changing, incredible, challenging and rewarding experience I have ever done.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros-Fun, young, energetic management team
    -All of the sales managers and the President himself have done the internship, so they know exactly how to coach and mentor us
    -Hands on, real life sales experience that you can't find at any other internship
    -Great support system throughout the summer, the Regional Managers visit you in each market and do ride alongs and go on sales calls with you
    -Career Partner Network with great companies who actively seek to hire our interns, I had 5 companies reach out to me to discuss full time opportunities after I completed the internship
    -Morning webinar led by the President every single morning to fire up the teams

Cons-It definitely comes with it's challenges but interns that put in the time and effort will see success throughout the program

Advice to Senior Management-Don't change a thing, I still keep in touch with my regional manager and he is responsible for a large amount of personal and professional growth over the summer and my last year as an intern

Career Enhancing Opportunity

Muncie, IN

ProsGREAT outside B2B sales experience
    Fantastic training program
    Career opportunities
    Cold and Warm calling experience
    Networking
    Management (top to bottom)

"Being an outside sales intern with UD was the best decision I've made in building my professional career. The Sales Foundation Academy is an unmatched training program. The real world sales experience is eye-opening and allows you to get a taste of the industry. The coworkers, managers, and clients you are able to network with over these 3 months are connections that can benefit you over a career. If you work hard, get organized early and stay persistent, you have the opportunity for a memorable summer!"

ConsNo gas or meal reimbursement
    Pay slightly lower than you expect

If you aren't willing to go "all in" and commit to a long, hot, and tough summer, then this may not be for you. It will require 110%, but is WELL worth it when you push through it!

Advice to Senior ManagementThe directory is great for the faculty, but the students don't use it. Keep investing in the planner and AroundCampus mobile app. Work on developing new and innovative platforms to continue connecting college towns to their markets.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I gained so much experience and received great support every step of the way!

Outside Sales Representative (Former Employee)

ProsGreat, happy, fun people in a team environment. I couldn't believe they sent us to a week-long training program, I knew nothing little about sales before taking this internship but have a career in it now. I made great friends here, even with my manager who gave great support along the way.

ConsIt was a challenging experience, and I made a decent amount but wouldn't do it for the money.

Advice to Senior ManagementThank you!

Means well..lacks organization

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsLearned management and communication skills. Helped me to be more upfront and courageous to confront businesses.

ConsInvested a lot of time, money and effort to something that wasn't really rewarding. Experience would have been better with a more organized regional manager.

Lacked goals

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
    Tampa, FL

ProsGood training and builds character

ConsRipped off businesses, bad rep

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more honest

An internship for future benefits

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat experience to have going forward.

ConsReally tough at the time, sales numbers are unrealistic and most markets have horrible customer retention.

UD/Around Campus

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat preparation if interested in sales and marketing, training is extensive and people are great

ConsIntense day to day grind with outside sales and cold calling. Pay is limited for hours put into summer and lack of commission gained after internship

Advice to Senior ManagementEmphasize how to gain money from clients worked with

Long, hot summer.

Sales Representative (Former Employee)
    Saint Louis, MO

ProsGreat sales experience, teaches you communication and perseverance.

ConsCan be difficult depending on market conditions and territory assigned.

Advice to Senior ManagementBase pay should be increased.

Not worth it and kind of a scam

Sales Team Leader/Sales (Former Employee)

ProsFree sales training (though the training week is exhausting and the constant parties/drinking get on your nerves)
    Meet lots of business owners and students from other schools

ConsLong hours with little pay (less than $4 an hour on a "commission" basis for 40 hours a week when you do the math)
    B2B sales that involves chasing down clients on your own gas (and most of the time they don't buy)
    A lot of pressure for not a lot of reward
    Product you are selling can be expensive and hard to sell
    Very few actually make commission

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove the product and app (broken app) and pay your interns higher commission or at least minimum wage.

Flag Review
    AroundCampus President responded to this review Jan 12, 2014 EditDelete
    I'm sorry the program did not meet your expectations. We certainly work hard to create the right expectations during the recruiting process. My hope is you'll see the value of the training and ... More

Worked for AroundCampus? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at AroundCampus reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for AroundCampus CEO John O'Brien. All 184 reviews posted anonymously by AroundCampus employees.