AroundCampus

AroundCampus Reviews

Updated Jul 18, 2014

AroundCampus President John O'Brien

John O'Brien

Pros
  • You really learn a lot about yourself and how hard you work because this is the whole internship(in 12 reviews)

• The training program in Chapel Hill allows you to meet lots of other students from across the country(in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • No work-life balance, you're expected to put in long hours(in 20 reviews)

• Hard hard hard job, basically no pay, advertising is outdated and hard to sell(in 10 reviews)

Sales Intern

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFun week in NC
    Majority of Sales Managers are good
    John O is the coolest guy you'll ever meet-it's unfortunate you don't see him often (excluding morning meetings on skype)
    you learn everything about sales-and can talk about it in future interviews

Conscold calling- completely unrealistic/dangerous in large city settings
    no office - walk around in 90+ degree weather all day alone
    Sales managers are unreliable- mine actually told me he would go to a meeting with me and 20 minutes before never answered his phone
    make under 4 dollars an hour if you calculate it-pretty much lose money for the summer
    commission is almost impossible to make

Advice to Senior ManagementJohn needs to check in on sales managers more, or ask for reviews from the interns during the internship-ours was completely unreliable and not encouraging

A good experience that I would never want to repeat

Outside Sales Representative (Former Employee) Notre Dame, IN

ProsThis internship does provide good experiences concerning sales and time and territory management. The outside sales associate will improve presentation skills and networking.

ConsThe compensation for the hours put into the job is ridiculously low. My biggest issue was that the support from management was severely lacking. After the internship is over, the company will not return calls or emails in order to address questions, concerns or requests. Several times I had sales prospects email me after my internship was over with questions. I tried to refer them to my sales manager or ask the company directly for a response to a question. I never received a response.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe management needs to be more open to communication with the interns.

Emotionally and physically draining

Outside Sales Representative (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsFun training week in NC and you get to work in a team of interns throughout the summer. If you like sales, this will help you for future jobs

ConsBe prepared to be outside all day on sales calls
    No office
    Getting customers to buy from you is almost impossible, depending on your territory
    Unrealistic sales goal, problems with previous clients making renewals a pain
    You get a stipend which comes down to less than 4 dollars an hour

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Cluttered culture, lack of compensation

Sales Representative (Current Employee)

Prossome friendly people
    people are willing to lend a hand

Consmany employees seem to be unable to perform their jobs.
    some incompetence
    low pay
    interns are relied on too heavily

Advice to Senior Managementmake sure employees receive proper training and know their jobs completely
    pay better

Interesting Experience

Sales Team Leader (Former Employee)

Pros-Week training session in NC
    -Learn a lot about yourself
    -Meet new people in your college area

Cons-LOW pay
    -Extremely hard to hear NO all the time
    -Felt guilty selling the ads to customers
    -Management barely helps out
    -Drive around all day place to place and spend all your income on gas
    -Very hard to sell in a non-college town setting

Advice to Senior Management-Help each university as much as possible
    -Employees should not have to go home at the end of the day and work on their sales prospects, time should be given for planning and desk work each day
    -Use database to track past customers and prospects from previous years

It is what you make it.

Sales Representative (Former Employee) Huntsville, TX

Pros- Training in North Carolina was great.
    - Met some great people, including my boyfriend (;
    - Worked own schedule.

Cons- VERY underpaid for the work you do.
    - when talking to the "decision makers", they did not like UD at all.
    - sold in a very small, very budgeted market which made things thirty times harder.

Advice to Senior ManagementPAY THE INTERNS MORE FOR THEIR WORK! Too much hard work for too little pay.

AroundCampus President responded to this review

Dec 30, 2012

Thanks for your feedback. In regards to compensation, we review the program each year and routinely find the compensation is on par with other internship programs. Naturally, we have to factor in ... More

depends on your territory

Outside Sales Representative (Current Employee) Evanston, IL

Prosdecent experience
    fun training
    chance to make friends

Conshorrible compensation if sales are low
    print media dying, hard to sell ads
    management not transparent
    no offices near territories

Advice to Senior Managementhave a base salary and then add a smaller commission instead of giving advances on commission only

AroundCampus President responded to this review

Dec 30, 2012

Glad you enjoyed the training and believe the summer program was a good experience for you. We review the compensation each year to ensure we're competitive. Your feedback is appreciated.

Summer Internship

Outside Sales Representative (Current Employee)

ProsIf you're self-motivated it's a great job. Great for those who are interested and like selling. The week long training is great, and you get to learn a lot.

ConsIt is all cold calling and the product is not easily sold in most markets.
    Long hours and days with little pay.
    High expectations of sales goals
    Very hard to stay motivated when hearing "no" all day.

Try if you really really really didn't get an offer anywhere esle

Sales Team Leader (Former Employee) Madison, WI

ProsIt helped me get a great job after college, but I really just needed any business experience to make my resume look good. I was sufficient in leadership categories and needed this job to help me get recognized after college.

ConsI lost money on the whole summer. The sales experience is not enjoyable and the product is not very marketable. The stated rates were ridiculous to ask for print advertising that had such small distribution. Competition had a better proposition with more salesmen flexibility on pricing. I did not learn much from this job experience.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive salespeople a better opportunity to have control over pricing. You need to close the sale in the first trip for a successful summer.

Good internship if you're looking to go into sales, bad otherwise

Sales Representative (Former Employee) New Brunswick, NJ

ProsFree one week trip to North Carolina for job-training
    You work by yourself and make your own schedule for setting appointments with clients
    They provide you free housing if needed

ConsThey expect you to work long hours and the you are not given much territory with which to work with
    Selling print ads is becoming increasingly difficult and the work itself can get very boring
    You have to pay for your own gas and other expenses and there is very little compensation unless you sell very well (which, honestly, is based on the territory you are working with)
    The "managers" are people who are mostly in their mid-20s who are not genuine and will tell you what you want to hear so that you are motivated to make sales

Advice to Senior ManagementOverall, I was disappointed by the internship because, while the initial job training was outstanding, the entire internship was boring and often times impossible to deal with. I worked in a territory that was extremely poor and where businesses were barely surviving - they had no intention to buy over-priced print ads. I did not think the managers were helpful at all, and were very keen on "firing people" if they thought those people were not making enough sales (even though this was mostly due to the bad territory we were given). I also wish you would have been more up-front about compensation and how renewal ads worked, because what was said in training and what we actually had to do were two totally different things. I felt that employees kept a lot from the interns, and that really disappointed me.

Worked for AroundCampus? Contribute to the Community!