AroundCampus

AroundCampus Reviews

Updated Jul 18, 2014

AroundCampus President John O'Brien

John O'Brien

Pros
  • You really learn a lot about yourself and how hard you work because this is the whole internship(in 12 reviews)

• The training program in Chapel Hill allows you to meet lots of other students from across the country(in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • No work-life balance, you're expected to put in long hours(in 20 reviews)

• Hard hard hard job, basically no pay, advertising is outdated and hard to sell(in 10 reviews)

UD gave me a great introduction into a real, professional, B2B sales environment.

Outside Sales Representative (Former Employee)

ProsGreat training process, UD recognizes that we were the primary driver of revenue and they treated us as such.

My experience gave me the edge I needed to land a very good outside sales job.

Managers were supportive and enthusiastic about what they do.

Entirely responsible for setting your own schedule and making sales calls.

ConsMost people who come into this internship don't have outside sales experience and the high pressure environment (quotas, being told no or "get out of my office", etc) comes as a shock. But this internship really serves as a good eye opener - either you want to do it or you don't.

Pay isn't great, you've got to sell a lot to make more than the measly couple hundred bucks a week.

A great place to learn and practice sales techniques in a real life environment.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Stockton, CA

ProsThe send you to North Carolina and teach you a ton. I refer to what I've learned all the time in my current job and jobs that I have applied for.

ConsThe way you get compensated but it makes sense because if you don't sell anything you shouldn't get paid.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would have liked my regional manager to spend more time in my region because I was a single man team. I would have like a person to bounce ideas off of.

My internship with University Directories increased my work ethic. It was challenging and rewarding.

Outside Sales Representative (Current Employee)

ProsThe week-long training makes you feel completely confident that you have the tools to do a good job out in the field. It was hard work but just as fun as it was challenging.
    You learn that if you push yourself you can reap the benefits of your success in the end, and that if you dont push yourself, it will show in the outcome of your work.
    Your co-workers are positive upbeat hard-working people just like you and thats the reason you were hired.
    Fun talking to many different people everyday

ConsLong days and hard work
    the beginning is rough, but everyone gets through it
    A little hard to stay organized at first until you get the hang out
    more organizational tools would be beneficial

Advice to Senior ManagementThe management is unbelievable. Most of them are still so young, yet so proffessional and good at what they do. They carry out management with positive reinforcement and proffessionalism. Most of them know whats its like to be in the interns shoes, and they still hold back and listen to complaints with a postive response.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The best summer of my life!!!

Outside Sales (Team Leader) (Current Employee) Muncie, IN

ProsI cannot say enough things about this internship program! I grew more in those 3 months as a professional than any other time in my life.
    Great training
    Career preperation
    Unrivaled Culture
    Amazing work experience
    Best support
    Opportunity to travel and get paid for it
    Professional growth
    Career Partners i.e. Carolina Panthers, ADP, Edward Jones
    Nationally recognized internship program

ConsPay wasn't the best, but it is certainly enough to get by on. And what do you expect its an internship
    Long hours
    Better have a great work ethic
    Not much bad to say at all.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what your doing!!! Management is amazing withing this company and that is what makes the culture so awesome!!! John O'Brien is the best!

A very rewarding experience

Intern (Current Employee) Indianapolis, IN

ProsAMAZING one week TRAINING program in NORTH CAROLINA - expenses PAID
    Employers are looking for this internship
    The opportunities after the internship
    The skills that you COULD NEVER learn inside a classroom
    You are able to put forth the amount of effort you want, with a equal return
    Feeling of accomplishment with every sale
    Amount of encouragement from management and reinforcement

ConsWhen looking back I do not think there were any cons, but here are some that some people may think:
    LONG and hard work days, BUT it is what NEEDS to happen for a salesperson to get stronger
    Different territories / unfair comparisons amongst salespeople in other territories, BUT that’s life
    Dedication required, BUT that is needed for every good sales position
    This IS a hard internship, and nothing is handed to you but you WILL benefit from it

Advice to Senior ManagementI think that the management did an amazing job, especially with what they promised would come from this internship. I am just like the majority of the interns that while doing the internship I wanted to quit and hated it at times, but in reality it was the best experience I could have ever went through. I learned so much from this opportunity. I did the internship this past summer and already benefitted immensely. I received a $3000 scholarship from ADP, and have had recruiters calling and e-mailing me for interviews. The whole job processes has turned. No longer am I worried about getting a job, I am more worried about finding the perfect fit for me. I WOULD RECOMMEND this internship to ANYONE who wants a future in sales (70%+ of all business students end up here). Therefore, the management has done an amazing job of getting my information out to employers and helped coach me through sticking with the internship, the two things that were promised to me.

Great Experience & Resume Builder- Def. Would Recommend This Internship

Outside Sales Representative (Former Employee) Cincinnati, OH

ProsI had a great experience with University Directories. My summer with UD has had a huge impact on my life. UD maintains a high standard of sales excellence and taught me so much. Not only did I learn a lot about the fundamentals of sales but I also learned a lot about myself in the process. The management team truly cares about their interns and is there to motivate and coach you all along the way. Immeaditly after my summer with UD I was contacted by several employers looking to interview for full-time jobs. The companies I interviewed with were very impressed by my experience with UD and it has opened many doors for my future. I would absolutely recommend this internship, I can't speak highly enough of what UD has done for me.

ConsThis internship IS challenging, you must work hard at it everyday but the end reward makes it so worth it.

Preparation for success.

Outside Sales Representative (Former Employee)

ProsTraining
    All the advice needed
    The oppurtunities handed to you after the internship
    Your effort directly determines your success
    Unbelievable experiences

ConsI didn't hit goal or the team goal, but still can't think of any cons. The pay wasn't great, but I don't know what else you would expect out of an internship. If you didn't do well, I'll guarentee it was because of some excuse. The internship teaches you that not only during the internship, but in any other job that there will be objections to overcome and how you react will determine your success.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing. You promised everyone a chance to succeed and delivered. Thank you for giving me the attitude neccessary to succeed.

I did the internship with this company, I enjoyed it very much and it taught me so much.

Outside Sales Representative (Former Employee) Memphis, TN

ProsCulture, Management, builds up morale dramatically, great company to work for.

ConsLot of hard work but you have to be motivated to do it.

REAL WORLD EXPERIENCE IN SALES THAT PUTS YOU AHEAD OF YOUR COMPETITION AFTER GRADUATING!!!

Outside Sales Representative (Former Employee) Fargo, ND

Pros*Environment
    *Training (I learned more in 7 days of training than 4 years of college)
    *Management Support
    *Hands On Experience

Cons*Short Selling Season (13 weeks)

Advice to Senior ManagementI had a great experience and would definitely recommend this internship opportunity to anyone who wants REAL WORLD EXPERIENCE from an internship!!

Great internship opportunity!

(Current Employee)

Pros-Great resume builder
    -Motives/awards to work hard
    - Great management support
    -Career partners contacted me weeks after completing the internship with job offers
    -AMAZING vibes and atmosphere from the company
    -Make connections with the local business you work with
    -Week long expense paid training in NC so you feel very prepared for the job

ConsThe days do start to feel very long working 830 to 6 every Monday through Friday and cold calling can get a little frustrating.

Advice to Senior ManagementUnderstand that employees need a few days off in the summer or they will become overworked and unmotivated. Working 40 hours + for 200 dollars a week can be a little frustrating

Worked for AroundCampus? Contribute to the Community!