AroundCampus

AroundCampus Reviews

Updated Jul 18, 2014

AroundCampus President John O'Brien

John O'Brien

Pros
  • You really learn a lot about yourself and how hard you work because this is the whole internship(in 12 reviews)

• The training program in Chapel Hill allows you to meet lots of other students from across the country(in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • No work-life balance, you're expected to put in long hours(in 20 reviews)

• Hard hard hard job, basically no pay, advertising is outdated and hard to sell(in 10 reviews)

Creates the best career path for college students!

Outside Sales Representative (Former Employee) Winona, MN

ProsThe managers are the best you're ever going to have.
    You learn more in this internship then you do in the classrooms.
    Makes you stand out compared to your classmates for future jobs.
    Connects you with many great businesses that look for interns from this company.

ConsHearing "no" can get hard.
    Some businesses see the UD product as useless.
    Frustrating at times when businesses ignore you and you have to keep trying with them.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe managers and upper management make this job one of the best internships ever!

University Directories Reviews

Sales Representative (Current Employee) Ames, IA

ProsVoted the #1 collegiate media company in the nation, I would recommend this internship to anyone who is interested in building relationships, learning to challenge their limits, and is ready to take the next step in their career path. University Directories not only provides a great sales foundation academy in Chapel Hill, North Carolina for interns across the country, but they provide EXCELLENT management that continues to mentor and push you during the entire summer. As a college senior, I have so many valuable life lessons to take away from this internship and am already being reached out to by partners of the company for full-time positions after graduation. If you want to work at a place that is going to not only help you find a job, but continue to care about you as an individual, University Directories is the way to go! You'll take nothing but memorable experiences, close relationships, and skills you can use to enhance your daily lifestyle!

ConsThe only thing I would change about the internship is getting to know more people from other reasons. Although we had a close-knitted region, I feel people should be given more time to talk with others at training about different cultures and seeing if they would be interested in looking at employment outside of their comfort zones!

Could have done better if I looked more Internships

Outside Sales Representative (Current Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsThe people that you work with are all awesome.

ConsThe pay was not that great. It all depended on what territory you received. The training in North Carolina seems like it will be really fun, yet it is grueling boring and the script they make to learn is hardly used when you’re out in the field. This job was really hard and I would not recommend it unless you are superior at sales and you live in a college town where all the companies rely on kids to buy their products.

Advice to Senior ManagementSome how split of the good companies amoung sales reps so they all have the same chance to succed, once your in a rutt of not making money or selling, you usually stay there.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

You get what you put in

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat introduction to B2B selling and making cold calls
    Potential for pretty good money
    Allows for a lot of independence on a daily basis

ConsEverything you do is based upon making cold calls, ie. walking into a business blindly and immediately starting to pitch. If you're not good at that you're in for a long summer.
    A lot of rejections. Most people are fairly nice about passing up on the product while others are not so nice.
    The way you are paid is once the commission is collected. Some businesses do not pay in a timely manner and in turn you don't get commission for making that sale. There is also a cut off date for you to receive commission meaning that there is a lot of potential for you to miss out on getting paid.
    For as much work as you do, you do not get paid enough. I busted my butt off during the summer and am looking to receive not nearly the amount of money I should be. You get a $200 draw each week and 15% of your sales but until you pay off the draw, you see no money.
    I believe the product will be obsolete in a few years. No one wants to buy print advertising anymore.

Advice to Senior ManagementProduct needs to be reconfigured or will become obsolete soon.
    Easy for interns to slack off and just chill while getting paid.

The internship was exhausting and not worth the stress it caused

Sales Associate (Former Employee)

ProsLooks good on a resume
    Possibilities for networking

ConsMultiple managers breathing down your neck
    Very low compensation
    Long hours and demanding schedules
    Literally drive around all day
    Lasts literally the entire summer
    Being told to work toward unrealistic goals
    They frown upon you if you don't work overtime some nights
    The company relies on interns to make almost all of its profits

Advice to Senior ManagementPay more attention to the advice and insights that the interns are giving you. They are actually out in the field and know a lot more about whether your techniques and methods are working.

Don't make it required for each team to have 2 meetings every day. They become monotonous and just end up costing us more gas to talk about the same things.

Put a LOT more effort into advertising your cruel products. This will make it a lot easier for the interns to get clients interested in buying.

Good internship, terrible company

Sales Representative (Current Employee)

Pros+Develop yourself professionally
    +Receive great sales training, and great sales experience
    +Basically this internship is great if you plan on pursing a career in sales. Just be prepared to literally sacrifice your entire summer and deal with an awful company (harder than it sounds, trust me)

Cons- Volume Sales - UD would rather make 10 sketchy sales than 1 legit sale
    - Witnessed management lie to make a sale
    - Was lied to by management
    - UD lied to business in my market about distribution, causing most renewals to be unhappy
    - Only pay commission on a very small number of your sales, they don't cover your gas, in the end you make little to no money
    - Product is worthless, advertisements do not benefit local businesses. Company makes money by using interns to do the majority of the labor while keeping all profits at the top - Multi Level Marketing
    - Mobil App didn't even work half the time
    - Distribution has been messed up on my campus for years
    - UD home office is worthless, they are slow and unorganized and provided little to no help at all
    - Felt like I was ripping off the local businesses rather than selling them a legitimate product that will help them
    - sales training week is really good, BUT DON'T TAKE EVERYTHING THIS COMPANY SAYS TO HEART, I have had additional B2B sales experience with a much larger and more reputable company, and I now realize that UD has a lot of flaws in their sales approach and business model

Advice to Senior Management- Dont lie to interns
    - Cut all the cheesy motivational tips and outrageous sales goals and get with reality

Career Changing

ProsIncredible Experience, Challenging, Will get you out of your comfort zone and give you skills you can use.

ConsUnderstanding that it takes time to grow.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up!

It's okay if you want to work for $4/hour

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI worked for this company for two summers in their internship and yes companies do like the experience you get from the sales training and cold calling sales you do.

ConsBEWARE OF THE INTERVIEW AND HIRING PROCESS!!! The regional manager will interview you promising the world and how great your life will be with this internship. THEY ARE SALES PEOPLE!!!! They do nothing else other than manage you in the summer and spend the rest of their time finding stupid people all other months of the year to do this internship and make ridiculous promises. The company makes all of its revenues during the summer on the backs of YOU! They send you to do a week long "sales training" in Chapel Hill but anyone with brains can see its just a pep rally to get you hooked into their scheming ways. They pay you $200/week and expect you to work 40 hours per week at least (do the math). They promise you commission but for the two summers I worked there were only a handful out of a hundred who actually had a chance to earn more than that $200. They base it on if they pay or not which you will find out when you get "renewals" that this company has a hard time getting their companies they scam to pay. They talk about how their platform is "top of the line". No, you ask companies for hundreds of dollars for a tiny ad in the back of a student planner that they can see no return from whatsoever. I was also in an organization who had to hand out the thousands of planners they promise to the businesses but that never happened. We would throw away boxes of those planners and still get paid by this company to "hand them out". After working their for two summers I can honestly say that they force their top sellers into doing these positive reviews. The pressure from top management during the summer is unbearable at times. If you want to work for basically nothing asking people for money all day then go ahead and get your "internship". They prey on people just looking for an "internship". If I can get just one person not to do it I would be able to sleep better at night.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you pay your people more then they would have more incentive to stay out all day selling and go to those stupid morning and afternoon meetings that accomplish nothing

A Crash Course in Outside Sales

Sales Representative (Former Employee)

Pros• Experience: If you want/need sales experience you can’t get a much better test-run than you will during your summer with UD. This is an outside sales internship, you are expected to drive around your set territory for 8 hours a day and walk into every business that crosses your path. Any emailing and/or calls must be done on your own time; you will get a stern “talking to” if you’re caught emailing businesses during the day rather than walking in their doors, even if the former is more effective.
    • Training: It’s tedious and lasts all day every day, but you should leave with a good grasp of the sales process and some new friends. The week of training, two if you’re a Sales Team Leader, is held at UNC in Chapel Hill; a nice university to say the least. A lot of the important monetary information is shoved into the last day of training; meaning that upon writing up your first couple contracts you may be drawing a blank.

Cons• Bad reputation: A smile and good pitch are only going to get you so far. Besides UD selling an obsolete product it seems that many of their more successful interns haven’t let a thing like honesty get in their way when making sales, and have sullied their successors’ credibility. On top of this UD’s creative dept is deplorable, if a business doesn’t get artwork into corporate their ad will look horrendous, which equals an unhappy customer.
    • Luck of the draw: Outside of hard work and dedication, your success or failure is entirely dependent upon your school, territory, and number of renewals; which are doled out “randomly.” Initial speed and success are key to getting preferential treatment with renewals, those who lag and/or struggle out of the gate will find profitable renewals few and far between.
    • Pay: You’ll be receiving a couple hundred dollars draw, against your assumed earnings, per week; which equates to $5/hour. If you work for 10 weeks you won’t make any commissions unless you’ve COLLECTED roughly $15k in sales.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake recruitment more competitive and be honest with applicants, the internship will end up costing a lot of students more than they get out of it.

An experience I'd never do again

Outside Sales Representative (Former Employee)

ProsPositive atmosphere
    Management is encouraging
    Independent work
    Training is an absolute blast
    It's a great resume booster.

ConsTo be successful the job goes well beyond 8:30-5:30
    Selling print advertisement for a directory or planner
    Independent work (It's easy to take that long lunch or slack)
    Work/life balance isn't good. Job is always on your mind.
    You have to be annoying/persistent to make sales.
    Pay is $200 a week for 10 or 12 weeks depending on your market. Once you hit a certain

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement did all they could. The product is the problem, not management.

Worked for AroundCampus? Contribute to the Community!