AroundCampus Reviews

Reset
2.0
AroundCampus President John O'Brien
John O'Brien

Pros
  • You learn a lot about yourself in this position (in 14 reviews)

• AroundCampus provides college students with a nationally recognized sales training program that help prepare them for a career in sales (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • No work-life balance, you're expected to put in long hours (in 25 reviews)

• In the area I was in it was hard to sell because the product isn't as well known (in 11 reviews)

1. Better than Nothing

I worked at AroundCampus as an intern

Pros

Work at own pace team-driven Training week in Chapel Hill

Cons

No office during summer High expectations and low overall success rate of interns Severely underpaid

Advice to Management

Better pay scale: Majority of interns make below minimum wage

Selling print advertising

Pros

Strong sales academy with a good sales foundation

Cons

Selling a media platform nobody wants.

3. Outside Sales Internship

Current Intern - Sales Team Leader/Sales
    Current Intern - Sales Team Leader/Sales

I have been working at AroundCampus as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

You develop good interpersonal skills with business owners and your team members if you choose to emphasize the importance of relationship building. You also learn to accept failure, and move past it to improve yourself and your team. Good learning experience.

Cons

Interview: The turn around process is so quick, that you never really feel like you have time to think things over, before knowing if it's a good fit. They treat the interview process in the same way as making a sale. They have to "sell" you on the internship. By stressing urgency, it made it seem like you had to make the decision right then and there, and it is was also early in the internship application process, eliminating all other internship possibilities. My interviewer was very excited about speaking with me, which made me feel special, but not I realize the modem behind the facade. They were building up the value in the "product," which was working for them. I just wish I had more time to make my decision before taking this internship. However, I understand why they didn't give me time. They were "closing the deal". Training: The entire week of training feels very Disney Land-esque. Since this is a SALES internship, this company knows exactly what to do to make you feel like you are important, and motivate you to like their company and their product. Everything said is very scripted and rehearsed (you can tell you are being taught by salespeople). However, It did not however feel genuine, and they did not prompt you on the reality of the internship. The script served as a good base to start, but they encouraged staying up late nights memorizing it, after over 12+ hours of training already that day. And if you didn't spend that extra time, you were criticized. They also spent way too much time, on the best case scenario, which we would soon realize would be about <1% of our sales calls. Overall, the training got everyone very excited to start, with a lot of motivational videos and hype, but that soon ended when the reality of the internship hit everyone how hard it would be. It's almost as if the company itself knows that its products are outdated, non-user friendly, and not beneficial to the customers, so they feel the need to over hype and glamorize everything, in order for the interns to not see the reality of the product. Outside Sales internship: The actual internship itself has has been very good life experience, teaching you to work with many different individuals and assessing and fulfilling the needs of businesses. This company is EXCELLENT at selling a less than adequate product. Very good at spinning (valid) objections into manipulating the business to spend (a lot of) money, on an ad that blatantly does not help them whatsoever. After visiting past customers, I received very little positive feedback. The reality is that there are so many better marketing techniques than the AroundCampus product. Instead of improving the actual product, the company focuses on manipulation skills, making promises, without achieving tangible results. Also, throughout the internship there was never full validation for completing a goal, or achieving a benchmark. It was always "good" job, never "great". Always something to improve, and constantly bombarded as not good enough. This caused a very high burnout rate, to continue putting in high sales call numbers. Not only on my team, but also with the other teams in the region, when discussing with the others in my position. Also, during training, it was stated that the focus would be on hard work, not numerical results. This was not the case. During the first few weeks, it was focused on high call numbers, but if you did not make a sale right away, then you were immediately criticized as not working hard enough. Even if you did put in the numbers they wanted you to, you were criticized for not working overtime. Even after hours, the managers are constantly texting and calling to check up on how you are preparing for the next day. There is absolutely no work/life balance. You are expected to work overtime, but are never compensated for it. You are expected to do more calls than they ask, or will be criticized. You are expected to make this internship your sole focus, deeming all family, academic, and personal issues as unimportant, not matter WHAT they are. This process seems very dehumanizing, belittling everything that may be important to you outside of the internship, to mold and create AroundCampus robots with tunnel vision. The constant pressure and competitive atmosphere is motivating temporarily, but is NOT feasible to sustain morale throughout the summer. Overall impression: The AroundCampus group employees are expert salespeople (sharks). They know what they want, and how to get there. However, they should not brand it as a paid internship, unless guaranteeing minimum wage, for hours worked. There should be less interns hired, with better compensation. By hiring so many interns so sell their product, they can get away with treating them like a herd of cattle, and exploiting them. As a full time internship, this company can at least afford to compensate their interns, and validate their hard work.

Advice to Management

The president of the company, John O'Brien is an incredible human being. He single handedly gives me faith in the fragile future of this company. Although he as the highest position in the company, he is humble and makes himself available to all of the interns. His approachable and earnest nature represents what the company should be. He seems to be one of the only people that truly cares about the people that are working for him, and not just logistics of sales and numbers. He also genuinely seems to want to address criticisms, rather than brushing them off, which shows how much he truly cares about the company. Jeff Stencil is the same way, really seeming to care about the work that he does, and the people that work for him. John values his employee's hard work, and Jeff gives the motivation to continue. The AroundCampus group is lucky to have them. I do think that The AroundCampus group needs to work on hiring better quality of managers because they all seem to be scripted, inflexible, and uninterested in building relationships with their interns. The managers are solely competition and results oriented, to make themselves look good rather than what is best for the region or team as a whole. They model success with numerical results and individual rankings, and nothing in between. Overall, I think that this company needs to seriously re-work and re-vamp their product, to make the interns not only excited to sell it, but fully believe in what they are selling. The company needs to get with the times, and completely re-strategize the focus of their products. Also, I think there needs to be more emphasis on the AC Brand championship because I do not think that enough students know about the app, which could actually have potential. My biggest piece of advice to management, is practice what you preach. With so much criticism constantly given to interns to overwork themselves, this company needs to listen and accept constructive criticism as well. The interns have valuable input and perspective that should not be shunted. The company needs to get out of the 70's and spend money to actually create a worthwhile and valuable product.

5. Mixed Bag

Former Intern - Sales Representative in New York, NY
    Former Intern - Sales Representative in New York, NY

I worked at AroundCampus as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

So I worked for Around Campus Group as a Sales Intern in 2014. I was the Sales Team Leader in a region, it has its positives. I really like my sales team and I felt it was really good to get to know them. It has flexible hours, they expect you to be working a full 8 hours from 9 to 5 but if you are a good sales team you can honestly make your calls and be effective with less. It all depends on effectiveness and the area you are in. There were a few days I just didn't work but I still was very successful. Also the app is a good app if they can get out there to more people. Also have good relationships with a lot of companies who will interview you based off your experience here and it isn't always in a sales role. You can learn a lot from this experience, if you are able to stick it out.

Cons

This is a horrible product you are selling ad space in planners which is a dying breed but if you can sell paper in this day and age you are a decent seller and they do a good job of teaching you how to sell it. When you are selling the product you feel like you are robbing innocent people cause you know they will rarely see ROI and if they do its not due to the product. Also the Managers can be restrictive and you can feel constricted if they are consistently in your sales territory. Also the pay is horrible. like horrible.

Advice to Management

Good idea, find a way to improve the app and make it your main goal to improve that. Sell the planner to if you want to stay true to the roots of company but find a way to make the app your cash cow.

6. Only for those who LOVE sales

Current Intern - Sales Representative in Chicago, IL
    Current Intern - Sales Representative in Chicago, IL

I have been working at AroundCampus as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

You get to create your own schedule.

Cons

There isn't enough supervision. Door to door sales gets old.

Advice to Management

Good luck

If you don

Pros

They give you all the tools to sell their product, lots of useful information for salespeople. Positive and motivating culture

Cons

Pay is bad, long hours, you're pretty much on your own the whole time. Getting rejected by store owners 20+ times a day gets old. Culture seems a little fake sometimes. Competition probably has a better product

Advice to Management

Work with people who are struggling on how to deal with the stress of the job and give them information on how to realistically approach sales pitches

8. Intern

Pros

it served as good experience for future jobs and i can use it in interviews but thats about it. pay is bad, managers are friendly though

Cons

it was really tiring and the interns were underpaid and overworked. sales were hard to make because the market is not in demand

Advice to Management

i would suggest more pay, less hours, less demanding, and more understanding of the interns' situation. it was hard to keep up with all the things we needed to do

Summer Sales Intern Position

I worked at AroundCampus as an intern

Pros

I gained experience in engaging with business-owners that I usually would not connect with.

Cons

I felt something was wrong/ off the second I landed for training. Throughout my interview process I was led to believe this was a competitive program/something to be proud of, so I was shocked when I got on the bus with the other interns and was surrounded by a lot of younger students (freshman in college) who lacked basic grammar skills and acted like they had never been in a professional setting before. The week of training I contemplated leaving many times, there were moments when I would get caught up with what they were teaching us and think "I can do this!" and then I would realize the whole place had a freaky cult-like mentality. Many people I talked to said they applied and got the job immediately, which explained the people that I was at training with. You're paid $200 a week without gas reimbursement (that money is supposed to go towards that), however they don't take taxes out so expect to be paying for it in April. You're forced to go into local businesses and recite the script they teach you (PS you don't "finish" training until you've gone through multiple simulations of this script, another very weird experience). They also don't mention that there isn't a home office in your city, we literally had to come up with a meeting place to come together every morning and evening. My manager forced me to go into seedy motels (prostitutes and all, no joke), sketchy gas stations, and drive him all over the city. If you don't start making sales right away the managers ( they travel, they're with you physically very little) start calling and leaving you voicemails about your "strategy" and "why this is happening" at all hours. It's literally a weird cult-like mentality throughout the whole summer, don't buy into it. If you want to intern at a company with some prestige go elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Make your hiring process more rigorous to weed out people, compensate for gas, shorten the length of training.

Outside Sales Internship will help you in the long run

Former Employee - Sales Team Leader
    Former Employee - Sales Team Leader

Pros

This internship helped me thicken my skin when it came to outside sales. I loved how they had full trust in their interns, you were put in your territory and expected to bring in good numbers. Many career partners that look to hire you out of the internship, but most are staffing/recruiting companies, which I am not personally interested in. Management is very approachable and friendly. Met all of the higher-ups during week-long all expenses paid training camp down in Chapel Hill.

Cons

You only get commission on what they collect before a certain date. You may sell a certain amount, but doesn't mean that you will collect the commission that you earned. I budgeted out expecting to get about $5000 in commission and received about 200 bucks on top of the $200 weekly forward you are given all summer. There is no proof of how much was collected before a certain date after the internship is over so I guess you are expected after the internship to act as Collections as well. However, in the long run this helped me because I am not as easily tricked by "salary" when applying for jobs,.

11. Easy work but inefficient

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at AroundCampus as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

-Good work-life balance -Young office culture is very friendly

Cons

-Interns frequently ran out of work to do and were sent home early -Management doesn't seem to know what they want to do with the product, so there is unnecessary work

Advice to Management

Hire fewer interns so work can be distributed more evenly. Figure out what to do with the web/mobile products.

RSS Feed </> Embed