AroundCampus

AroundCampus Reviews

Updated Jul 7, 2014

AroundCampus President John O'Brien

John O'Brien

Pros:
  • "You learn a lot about yourself in this position"
    in 12 reviews
  • "The training program in Chapel Hill allows you to meet lots of other students from across the country"
    in 20 reviews
Cons:
  • "Long long hours and it is not as easy as it seems to make a sale"
    in 19 reviews
  • "Product you are selling can be expensive and hard to sell"
    in 9 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

You get what you put in

Sales Team Leader (Former Employee)

ProsMeet some of the most amazing people, extensive training in sales, if you are self-motivated you are able to succeed.

ConsHard hard hard job, basically no pay, advertising is outdated and hard to sell

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement was amazing! No complaints.

Excellent learning experience

Sales Team Leader (Former Employee)
    Fresno, CA

ProsOutstanding management and they are constantly striving to uplift the interns in times of low productivity. In the few months of this internship you will learn more than an entire year in the classroom.

ConsGas is going to kill you! Although it is a paid internship, it doesn't do much to offset all the miles you will put on your car.

Around campus Internship

Sales Representative (Current Employee)

ProsLearn to have confidence in going into different stores

ConsEverything. Managers can be rude, and pressure interns. Instead of trying to create a learning enviornment where interns are learning, managers pressure them to sell.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop being so mean to interns. They are trying hard. Just because you made a ton of sales when you were an intern, does not mean that you can bully others. Stop making interns feel bad if they don't make a sale.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

You get out of it, what your willing to put into the program.

Outside Sales Representative (Current Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsThe experience as well as confidence you get from making so many calls each day.

ConsNot many people have heard of this company, so credibility. Also it is very time consuming.

Advice to Senior ManagementOrganize the training better so that the interns are really prepared to sale.

Good experience

Sales Representative (Current Employee)
    Chapel Hill, NC

ProsWorking as an intern is amazing experience if you want to delve into the wold of sales, if not than do not take the job.

ConsCompensation for sales and weekly pay is very low in my own opinion.

Advice to Senior Managementcreate better communications with your employees

Negative Internship Experience

Outside Sales Representative (Former Employee)

ProsI had a great team that I worked with every day. We got along fairly well by the end of the 12 weeks. The training in NC was pretty fun too.

ConsFirst of all, even though the training was in a fun location, it was very time intensive. You were expected to put in overtime and stay up until 3 am despite a usual 6 am wake up time- all would be fine, but the training was without pay. Next, I felt like management promoted lying to any potential customers to get any sort of sale, which I took negatively. The market I worked in didn't quite take to the product but they would not take no for an answer. Also it was essential to put in more time after our allotted 9 hours a day, without any overtime being paid. The weekly base pay also was not nearly enough because of all the money spent on gas and other things. I essentially made no money last summer and this internship was a mistake in my opinion.

Best experience

Pittsburgh, PA

ProsLearned abouts sales more than any other company/class could teach. Found a job right out of college because of this opportunity. Employers practically beg for an interview with the alumni.

ConsHard work. Not for someone lazy.

Advice to Senior ManagementDoing an amazing job. Loved the excitement that happened when i made a sale.

Sales Rep

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat learning experience and had a lot of opportunities after with career partners

Conslow pay, product is tough too sell, poor communication with the home office.

A Summer to Remember

Orlando, FL

ProsYou learn a lot. You learn to be independent and to step outside of your comfort zone. You learn how to deal with people (clients) and how to be more professional. Training at North Carolina was a fun experience.

ConsIt was not for someone who is weak and easily breakable. you experience so much frustration in this job. actually, it would be an everyday thing.

Advice to Senior Managementpromote your product better to its users. the students don't even know what it is.

Beware of AroundCampus, formally known as University Directories

Sales Team Leader (Current Employee)

Prossales experience, good resume builder but only for saying how you overcame challenges

Conshorrible compensation, no benefits, drive around city all day don't compensate for gas, unprofessional managers

Advice to Senior ManagementI would really note all the positive and negative comments on here. If this internship was as good as some of the reviews are saying, there wouldn't be nearly as many negative reviews as on this page. I would be very careful when applying to this internship because while interviewing they keep it very general so you don't know what you're getting into. Almost more than half my team quit before the internship was over. So make sure to keep ALL reviews in mind

Worked for AroundCampus? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at AroundCampus reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for AroundCampus CEO John O'Brien. All 184 reviews posted anonymously by AroundCampus employees.