AroundCampus

Updated December 11, 2014
3.5

AroundCampus President John O'Brien
John O'Brien

Pros
  • You really learn a lot about yourself and how hard you work because this is the whole internship (in 14 reviews)

• The training program in Chapel Hill allows you to meet lots of other students from across the country (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • Long Hours: You are required to work 40 hours per week (in 25 reviews)

• In the area I was in it was hard to sell because the product isn't as well known (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

has it's good points if you stick it out, ALOT of drawbacks though

I worked at AroundCampus

Pros

Good experience in sales allows you to really get your hands dirty with how outside sales works meet a lot of people that work around town some may offer jobs if your pitch is really well, a good point on your resume if you work hard you can be very successful. Fun training and good networking opportunities plus a free trip and stay at UNC. Senior management is awesome Johnny O especially!

Cons

Outdated products college students don't use directories anymore and that's the main selling point of the business everything the print ads have to offer can be looked up way easier on your phone. Prices are sky high for print which in my market was more expensive then TV commercials. kinda like scamming businesses out of their money because students don't even know the product exists but you tell business owners that it's a vital part of how students get information. Since managers get commission based on interns sometimes they'll lie to get their way or lie to help make a sale which is never acceptable. Managers play favorites with who they want to work with more often giving others the cold shoulder. A lot of local businesses hate the directory because it doesn't generate any business and are only reached once per year. Pay barely gets you by and isn't taxed they really twist your arm when they say you receive comission on collected payments then tell you to tell business owners they can defer payments for a month or two, you never see the money.

Re work the product to be more up to date and less costly. Have better customer service, periodic check ups on customers to see if there's any improvements that can be made in your service to them. Ensure that managers are honest and don't twist arms to get their way and they spend an equal amount of time with each school. Better pay and compensation for Gas. Flexible schedule for those taking summer classes

Awesome Sales Experience

Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Cedar Falls, IA
    Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Cedar Falls, IA

I have been working at AroundCampus as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

The best thing about working for AroundCampus is the experience and relationships you gain throughout the summer. AroundCampus provides college students with a nationally recognized sales training program that help prepare them for a career in sales. The experience you gain throughout the summer is priceless. I went from an average college students with an average resume to a college student that is being contacted by about two recruiters every week. AroundCampus has set me up to have a very successful career in sales.

Cons

I believe the only people who see negative things in the AroundCampus internship are people who do not succeed in sales. Yes, sales is tough, especially door-to-door cold calling. There will be some days where you won't come close to closing a sale but it is all worth it in the end. You have to be committed, organized, passionate, and patient if you want to be a successful sales rep for AroundCampus.

Hard work but worth it

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Memphis, TN
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Memphis, TN

I worked at AroundCampus as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The overall experience was super challenging but it also helped me to gain some real world work experience. The training week was so fun but still prepared me for the job. Taught me a lot about how to conduct myself in business meetings and my interview skills really benefited.

Cons

Its a hard hard job. Also they don't allow you to have any vacation days (which in the summer is kinda a big deal for family time) and the pay was not explained as well as it could have been.

Try to understand that towards the end of the summer, you've almost run out of businesses to talk to and in some areas a "Hard No" can't be turned into a yes.

Toughest Internship Out There...but Beyond Worth It

Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Memphis, TN

I have been working at AroundCampus as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Extensive training in Chapel Hill, NC. As a marketing major, I learned more during this week than in most of my classes.
    I set my own schedule. Management comes to town weekly to provide coaching but I'm allowed the freedom to go out and schedule my own meetings and be my own boss.
    I wasn't left on my own, though, after training because I could call my manager anytime (day or night) and he helped me out.
    Really useful getting to meet different business owners and get to know how they run their businesses.
    Daily webinar with the president of the company.
    The Career Partners reaching out with job opportunities (or if you find a job with someone else your manager will help you get a job)

Cons

Rejection is tough...I had to meet with businesses 5-6 times before they would say yes.
    When I heard my sales goal, it seemed impossible...but once we broke it down among my teammates and the days/weeks of the summer...it became clear just how possible it was.
    All of the career partners are sales jobs

Internship ONLY for sales people

I have been working at AroundCampus as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Yeah, if you are a sales person, this is the perfect internship for you. They treat their interns very well. They will pay all expenses during internship training.

Cons

They say this internship help all majors. It's a big lie. If you are marking or PR, run. Companies will start contacting you only for sales. They will ignore the rest of your experience in your resume.

Life Changing Opportunity!

Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at AroundCampus as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

-network with local business in your campus community
    -learn the resposibilities and gain knowledge of operating a local business
    -real world experience that you cannot get anywhere else
    -learn how to become a salesperson and gain marketing skills
    -immense personal growth through this internship, regardless of success
    -strong community and support system built within team work
    -paid internship, guaranteed salary and beyond this is up to you how much you make (based on sales)
    -you can control how much time (i.e. success) you want to put into the summer

Cons

-challenging and demanding at times
    -emotional highs and lows of the sales process
    -requires strong organization skills, strategy, persistence, and personability
    -sales is not always a natural process for all, can be much harder for others

DO NOT DO THIS INTERNSHIP!!!!!

Former Employee - Intern in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Intern in Austin, TX

I worked at AroundCampus full-time (less than an year)

Pros

nothing. you get yelled at, turned down, and made to feel like you are underperforming constantly.

Cons

DO NOT DO THIS INTERNSHIP IF YOU EXPECT TO HAVE A FUN SUMMER. THIS WAS A HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE.
    You will take home $200 a week, which will pay for the amount of gas you use to get around in a single week. You will essentially make nothing for sweating your butt off and getting denied from thousands of businesses. There is no real office. You must pick a location like Starbucks to meet at every morning and night and watch videos from the CEO. This is not beneficial to you solely because most days are spent walking around outside in your business clothes lying to businesses that the AroundCampus ads in the school planner and mobile app are beneficial for their business. That amount of money is out of reach for businesses that aren't intelligent enough to know that their money is best spent somewhere else. You will feel guilt for trying to convince business owners of this. The leaders are very aggressive and always blow up your phone. If your team is underperforming then they will come to your city more often and become forceful with you and business owners.
    Also, the training in North Carolina sounds like a fun time, but it was by far the worst week of my life. They make you stay up until 1am in the morning "practicing" your sales pitch and require you to be downstairs by 8am fully dressed and ready for endless hours in conference rooms. There is NO free time to go do anything, even go explore for dinner and night time activities.
    You cannot do this internship and school at the same time. You will not have any down time for a social life. When you get home from work, they expect you to email all the businesses that you visited that day, which can take up to another hour.
    Over half of the team I was on quit over the summer because they realized that the internship wasn't worth the blood, sweat and tears it is. You will not gain school credit for this internship either. Lines on your resume are more worth doing something else, BELIEVE ME.

AroundCampus Response

Nov 20, 2014President

I was sorry to read about your experience with us this summer. Of course our program is not for everyone and we work hard to ensure we put students in a position to learn, earn and grow. It seems ... More

Incredible Internship Opportunity

Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Slippery Rock, PA
    Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Slippery Rock, PA

I have been working at AroundCampus as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Learned a lot from training
    Great job experience
    Received a lot of help/encouragment from management
    Looks great on a resume

Cons

Internship, not a lot of pay
    Sometimes its a tough sell and you need to stay motivated

Keep up the great work

Summer Intern Experience

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at AroundCampus as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The training program is a five day extensive sales academy that prepares you as best it can for the business to business cold calls you will be preforming on a day to day basis all summer. The training and then implementing it helped me grow personally and professionally.

Cons

The AroundCampus Product could use some work. I didn't believe in the product I was selling.

Find a way to improve the product, so that the companies using it actually see results.

Good first internship, lots of hardwork

Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Ann Arbor, MI
    Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Ann Arbor, MI

I worked at AroundCampus as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Not micromanaged, lots of freedom, improve confidence, expand network

Cons

Under paid, long hours, business owners were generally disinterested