AroundCampus Reviews

Updated August 17, 2014

3.5

AroundCampus President John O'Brien
John O'Brien

Pros
  • You really learn a lot about yourself and how hard you work because this is the whole internship (in 12 reviews)

• The training program in Chapel Hill allows you to meet lots of other students from across the country (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • No work-life balance, you're expected to put in long hours (in 20 reviews)

• Hard hard hard job, basically no pay, advertising is outdated and hard to sell (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Work you to death...

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at AroundCampus

Pros

I got to make my own schedule as a sales associate, so that was nice. They also match you with a team that compliments your personality.

Cons

They literally work you to death. They wanted me out and selling any time the sun was up, and sometimes when it was down. And cold calling is not fun, but the company won't embrace any other selling methods.

Stop thinking of sales as a numbers game... instead of cold calling, there are other more targeted sales methods that might be more profitable.

Work hard, play hard mentality.

Former Employee - Local Sales Manager  in  Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Local Sales Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at AroundCampus

Pros

Very good training program, fully expenses paid flight to UNC NC plus hotel, food. Very good potential for commission, plus set $200 per week draw paid out weekly. Good opportunity to show responsibility if one finishes in top percentage of sales interns. Company provides plenty of data on your performance (sales revenues, total sales, feedback, team sales, etc)

Cons

Very long days, does not pay for your gas, 40+ hours a week a minimum. If performance is not up to par, commission will not be very good.

Hire more competent sellers by offering higher base pay. A lot of the bad sellers seemed incompetent and thus did not make much and were disgruntled.

Good Experience, Low Pay

I worked at AroundCampus

Pros

It was a really great learning experience. I learned a lot about how to speak to business professionals of all types of businesses. I do much better in interviews now.

Cons

It was a really difficult summer. Store owners could be either really rude or really nice. Rejection is a huge part of sales, especially in cold call sales.

Similar jobs would allow their sales teams to go out together. We ran out of territory about half way through, so had you let us go out together we probably would have made more sales and been able to encourage each other to keep on going. It was really hard to be on my own at times!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

UD

Current Employee - Local Sales Manager
    Current Employee - Local Sales Manager

I have been working at AroundCampus

Pros

Meeting new people...work at your own pace....only 3 months!

Cons

More training....more organized...be more friendly!!

Listen to everyone!!!

Great place to get sales experience

I worked at AroundCampus

Pros

*Great training program and a very good place to receive real world sales experience.
    *The senior management is very encourgaing
    *At training, you have the opportunity to meet people from all over the country

Cons

*Management keeps sales associates very poorly informed about upcoming events. It is almost as if they are trying to hide information.
    *You will be lucky to receive any compensation other than draw payments.
    *The overall corporate environment seems a little shady.

Keep sales associates informed. Don't keep upcoming events, like renewals, a secret. Also, be more clear with the commission process. Make commission reports more clear and frequent.

Great job for someone interested in sales

Former Employee - Local Sales Manager
    Former Employee - Local Sales Manager

I worked at AroundCampus

Pros

Great job for someone looking to enhance your resume, not for someone looking to make a career.

Good commission rate
    Good hours
    Good Managers
    They pay for your training

Cons

Hard to sell the product
    Can be hard on people to go day after day and dealing with angry customers that had a messed up ad from the previous year.

Do less roll playing during training and offer more real life examples of what will happen to you in the field.

Good trial internship to decide whether or not you would like to do sales.

Former Employee - Sales Represntative  in  Fort Collins, CO
    Former Employee - Sales Represntative in Fort Collins, CO

I worked at AroundCampus

Pros

Great training program for internship. Training is very fun (you are with 500 other college students for a week) and helpful in covering sales presentations and product. Good internship to decide whether or not you would like to pursue a career in sales.

Cons

Main product (College Yellow Page Ads) is becoming very hard to sell to businesses. Territories can become unevenly divided among sales reps.

There needs to be a shift in just trying to sell yellow page ads. Initial ad prices should be considered more carefully.

Love hate Relationship

I worked at AroundCampus

Pros

-Great experience
    -Great for resume
    -Learn more about yourself
    -Fly you free of charge for sales training in NC

Cons

-Long hours
    -Tedious training
    -Management can be too harsh at times

-Understand that the interns are college age and are not experiencec sales people. It takes time to learn and develop.

Internship

I worked at AroundCampus

Pros

The training in North Carolina was fun and a great learning experience. Great internship for experience cold calling outside sales.

Cons

Do not expect to be paid well. The sale of a school directory is very hard in the internet age.

The management team is very unmotivated. There are many levels of management and the local sales leader is just your fellow sales person.

University Directories

I have been working at AroundCampus

Pros

The company cares about the growth of our interns. Fun atomosphere to work in! Enjoyed everyday in the field. advancement in company based on pereformace!

Cons

The companys payment of sales reps and full-time employees leaves much to be desired. Bonus structure is far fetched. Need more discipline.

Please don't lose focus on what has made University Direcotories the company it was when I was an intern. Interns are the future of your success

Worked for AroundCampus? Contribute to the Community!