AroundCampus Reviews

Updated April 27, 2015
250 reviews filtered by

Good Experience

I worked at AroundCampus as an intern

Pros

Wonderful experience in b2b sales, awesome home office environment, great management

Cons

Cold calling on businesses can be difficult, and the pay is low for living week-to-week

Got me on my current career path in sales, this internship is amazing

I worked at AroundCampus as an intern

Pros

Teaches you what it takes to be successful in sales, this is a hard internship and you need to be incredibly self motivated and driven to succeed. If you do succeed, you will be graduating with employers chomping at the bit to hire you, its a pretty great feeling.

Cons

Long hours, low pay, and somewhat fake culture, still some really awesome and intelligent people though.

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

Best learning experience of my life

Former Intern - Sales Representative in Edmond, OK
    Former Intern - Sales Representative in Edmond, OK

I worked at AroundCampus as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

A summer interning with the around campus group will be the hardest summer of your life. You will work harder than you can imagine, but you will learn more than what expected to. I came into this internship really having no idea what I signed up for and ended up loving it. I learned valuable skills that I will use forever, and truly feel sales is a great career path for me.

Cons

This internship will be hard at times. Over most of the summer I didn't make many sales. Yet, I came back and killed it in the end. The pay is low, but it's an internship it's better than nothing. You learn to handle being told NO a lot.

Advice to Management

Don't put your sales managers over to many states where they can't visit you as much. Also put states in Regions that are actually close to each other, and maybe time zone.

How to get a competitive edge over your peers

Current Intern - Outside Sales Representative in Eau Claire, WI
    Current Intern - Outside Sales Representative in Eau Claire, WI

I have been working at AroundCampus as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

The AroundCampus Group offers many pros with their 12 week outside sales internship. Here is a breakdown from someone who just completed the internship.

Training: You cannot be expected to do something well without first being given proper training. The AroundCampus Group flies 750 interns down to UNC Chapel Hill at the beginning of summer. You spend 6 days learning the steps of the sale from high energy staff and regional managers. They give you all of the necessary resources to ensure you learn the product, how to build rapport, present the material, refute objections and close down the sale. You get great meals each day, housing, and the opportunity to bond with your sales team, region, and the entire nation of sales interns! It's a great way to start the summer.

Support: Throughout the entire summer I had the support of upper management, and sales interns alike. Each day starts off with a 15-30 minute webinar with the President, John O'Brien! He gives us some encouraging words, analyzes current trends in the industry and finally, recognizes top reps for their hard work and success each day, 5 days a week, for the entire length of your internship. They encourage you to talk to them directly and they are very easy to get a hold of throughout the entire experience. How many interns can say they talk to their senior management on a daily basis?

Apart from senior management, My Regional Manager, as well as my Area Sales Manager were in contact with us on a daily basis as well. During the first few weeks they went on sales calls with us to help critique or strengths and to help us improve our weaknesses. This was crucial because we were able to take what we learned in training and apply it with the help of a professional who had completed the internship in the past. Our managers would rotate between each market and help us about once every week or two.

Finally, the interns were all very supportive in my region. We used GroupMe to stay in contact with one and another. It was super helpful because we could continuously bounce ideas off of one another. You truly are supported by everyone in the company at all levels throughout your experience.

Real World Experience: You are selling multi-media advertising. This is a real product that you are selling to real businesses. You learn a wide variety of skills including cold calling, building rapport, presentation skills, combating objections, communication, time management, marketing and advertising, servicing accounts and much more. This is everything that employers are looking for in marketing and sales, as well as many other career paths.

Paid Internship: You are paid to do this. Most companies will give you an internship and tell you that the experience that you get is worth more than any amount that they would pay you, and they don't pay you. AroundCampus Group not only gives you a wealth of experience, but also helps you pay rent during the summer. You are given an advanced draw against commission payment of $200/week. This is still a really good rate for a summer internship. You are also able to make 15% commission on collected sales after making up your draw payments. Management also has many sales promotions and contests for the interns. You can win gift cards, TVs, Tablets and other cool electronics for your success. They also have some sales contests that can allow you to receive extra bonuses. My team won an extra $1000 over the course of summer for working effectively. If you are highly motivated and determined, you can expect to make a solid amount of money during the summer.

Employment Opportunities: The AroundCampus Group has over 20 business partners with companies like ADP, Tom James Company, AT&T, Enterprise, Tek Systems, Edward Jones Etc. These companies want to and end up hiring many interns each summer upon completion of the internship. The AroundCampus Group gives you the experience you need and the necessary connections to land a solid sales and marketing job by the end of the summer!

Cons

This job is not for everyone. They tell you that the whole way through and try to be as clear as possible on that during the interviewing process. Keep in mind that any of these cons can be overcome with a positive attitude and strong work ethic. Negativity is your biggest enemy. Avoid it.

Self Starter: You have to be able to work independently throughout the course of the summer. Management will be there to help you but you don't have someone babying you through the entire process. You need to accept responsibility and be able to motivate yourself. Some people cannot handle that.

Long Hours: You are required to work 40 hours per week. Often times I spent 50-60, especially during the first few weeks. Some people do not see the value in this. Sales requires more work than a lot of other career paths. It can seem like too much at times but in the end it is worth it.

Rejection: Sales requires people who are mentally and emotionally strong. You WILL receive rejections and objections. This does not mean that you won't succeed. Sales requires a thick skinned person who is not easily offended and discouraged when they hear no multiple times per day. There were many days that I did not get any sales at all. You just have to stay positive and work through the bad times to get to the good times.

These are all typical cons of a sales job. The company offers many promotions and prizes, as well as a hotline and continuous support to help you overcome all of these.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. I have never had a more positive experience with management. You have an excellent program and I know I will be reaping the benefits from this experience in the near future.

My only advice is to keep NetSuite Consistent. Most categories were unorganized and had different totals. This is being nit picky.

Best experience

Former Intern - Outside Sales Representative in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Intern - Outside Sales Representative in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at AroundCampus as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Learned abouts sales more than any other company/class could teach. Found a job right out of college because of this opportunity. Employers practically beg for an interview with the alumni.

Cons

Hard work. Not for someone lazy.

Advice to Management

Doing an amazing job. Loved the excitement that happened when i made a sale.

Great Future Career Opportunities

I worked at AroundCampus

Pros

personal growth, management, future career opportunities

Cons

pay could be increased for amount of travel

Sales Associate

Former Employee - Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Sales Representative

I worked at AroundCampus full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Company gives you great training and you will receive a lot of opportunities from their corporate partners. Lots of opportunities to move up within the company.

Cons

Can be discouraging when you first get out into the field and begin working. Product is considered over priced for many of the businesses.

Advice to Management

Needs more price fluctuation

Advertising Sales Rep

Former Intern - Sales Representative
    Former Intern - Sales Representative

I worked at AroundCampus as an intern

Pros

Expense paid trip to training at UNC-Chapel Hill
    Met a lot of new friends from all over the country
    Great experience
    You get out of it what you put in

Cons

A lot of work and time
    Not easy
    Be ready for rejection
    Have to cover your own expenses

Regional Manager

I have been working at AroundCampus full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very hands on lots and lots of real world experiences for young people. Great internship, great company, I would do it all over in a second!

Cons

Feeling over never having an ending point in a task. It however is a great challenge at the same time.

Great resume builder

Former Intern - Outside Sales Representative in Fairfax, VA
    Former Intern - Outside Sales Representative in Fairfax, VA

I worked at AroundCampus as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

- Get to meet with new and interesting people everyday
    - You determine your success
    - Great training program
    - Awesome career partners, leading to many job opportunities
    - Team based approach

Cons

- Low compensation
    - No mileage or gas reimbursement
    - Long days
    - Not enough tools provided to effectively track prospects

Advice to Management

- The training program is tremendous, keep it up
    - If the correct tracking tools are used, sales would be doubled at a minimum