AroundCampus

Updated January 30, 2015
3.5

AroundCampus President John O'Brien
John O'Brien

Pros
  • You really learn a lot about yourself and how hard you work because this is the whole internship (in 14 reviews)

• The training program in Chapel Hill allows you to meet lots of other students from across the country (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • Long Hours: You are required to work 40 hours per week (in 25 reviews)

• In the area I was in it was hard to sell because the product isn't as well known (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Terrible experience

Former Employee - Intern in Ames, IA
    Former Employee - Intern in Ames, IA

I worked at AroundCampus

Pros

Training was effective and an overall good experience.

Cons

Extremely misleading. They talk a fantastic game, but in reality the internship is extremely frustrating and feels as though students are being used in a fruitless environment.

AroundCampus Response

Dec 30, 2012President

Very sorry to hear you did not enjoy your experience with us. We work very hard to ensure we are upfront with our recruiting and paint a realistic picture of the job. We incur significant costs to ... More

Hard internship little compensation

Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative

I have been working at AroundCampus

Pros

Training Program in Chapel Hill was awesome.
    Learn if sales is the place for you
    Decent first internship
    Management is very enthusiastic
    Paid internship
    Work as much or little as you want

Cons

Internship was supposed to end on August 11th we will be working well into the end of august because of our sales deadline
    Training felt like freshman orientation
    Pay is very minimal for amount of work you are supposed to put in
    You are basically there to do the dirty work for the company by making cold calls all day everyday

Compensate the employees more. We are making under minimum wage. Tell us that there will be deals to be offered before they occur, or better yet let us know about all of the deals that will be offered in training.

Do not work here.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Durham, NC
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Durham, NC

I worked at AroundCampus

Pros

You schedule your own work day.

Cons

You are essentially selling ad space in a university planner to local businesses (strictly a sales job, not the marketing and PR job it is presented as). You have to cold call 30 businesses a day and often deal with former clients who have been dissatisfied, as they are rarely happy with their ad's success.

Some of the managers are very good, but others lack organization. My regional manager did not give my sales team the information and paperwork we needed early enough in the internship to give us a chance to make our sales goal. Later in the summer, this manager ended up leaving the company without any warning which was also very disruptive.

Like any Sales Company.. they know how to fool you..

Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Chapel Hill, NC
    Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Chapel Hill, NC

I worked at AroundCampus as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

+ Good training academy
    + Very motivational management team
    + They understand their company and promote it in a very good way

Cons

+ Regional Managers were not very helpful
    + The company's expectations were too high for certain college areas
    + Many local businesses were disappointed with previous years/lack of ROI

Sales Summer Internship

Former Employee - Sales Manager
    Former Employee - Sales Manager

I worked at AroundCampus as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

The training in North Carolina.
    Meeting new people.
    Getting the experience of cold calling.

Cons

Managers not being there at all times. This made it tough because the managers wouldn't be available like they said they would.
    Managers gossiping and getting out to the sales interns. Some of the managers made a rude GroupMe page about the interns and accidentally invited an intern into the group and they told everyone about it.
    How the pay works. You have to sell over $15,000 to even make commission. This is stupid because some schools have a smaller market and smaller goals.
    Also, they tell you that they will help finding a job for after graduation and they DO NOT!

has it's good points if you stick it out, ALOT of drawbacks though

I worked at AroundCampus

Pros

Good experience in sales allows you to really get your hands dirty with how outside sales works meet a lot of people that work around town some may offer jobs if your pitch is really well, a good point on your resume if you work hard you can be very successful. Fun training and good networking opportunities plus a free trip and stay at UNC. Senior management is awesome Johnny O especially!

Cons

Outdated products college students don't use directories anymore and that's the main selling point of the business everything the print ads have to offer can be looked up way easier on your phone. Prices are sky high for print which in my market was more expensive then TV commercials. kinda like scamming businesses out of their money because students don't even know the product exists but you tell business owners that it's a vital part of how students get information. Since managers get commission based on interns sometimes they'll lie to get their way or lie to help make a sale which is never acceptable. Managers play favorites with who they want to work with more often giving others the cold shoulder. A lot of local businesses hate the directory because it doesn't generate any business and are only reached once per year. Pay barely gets you by and isn't taxed they really twist your arm when they say you receive comission on collected payments then tell you to tell business owners they can defer payments for a month or two, you never see the money.

Re work the product to be more up to date and less costly. Have better customer service, periodic check ups on customers to see if there's any improvements that can be made in your service to them. Ensure that managers are honest and don't twist arms to get their way and they spend an equal amount of time with each school. Better pay and compensation for Gas. Flexible schedule for those taking summer classes

Good first internship, lots of hardwork

Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Ann Arbor, MI
    Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Ann Arbor, MI

I worked at AroundCampus as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Not micromanaged, lots of freedom, improve confidence, expand network

Cons

Under paid, long hours, business owners were generally disinterested

"Only take this internship if you don't have any other paid internship options"

Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative

I worked at AroundCampus as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Training
    - You get trained at UNC-Chapel Hill for a whole week. They teach some valuable info. about sales. There are hundreds of interns from all across the country that attend. I made a lot of friends from other schools in my region, who I still talk to six months later. The training probably made it worth it to do the internship. The first and last nights of training are basically a big party.

People
    - There were three other interns at my school. We all got along extremely well. By the ended of the summer, we were more of friends than co-workers. We continuously made fun of the underachieving product together.

- If you are going to start your career in sales, you will get some good experience from this. It will give you stories to tell in future interviews.

Cons

Pay
    -The pay is very low. $200 per 40 hours a week, you do the math. You can make 15% commission on top of that, but only a selection few will ever hit the type of numbers to start making commission. You also have to pay for your own gas. You can't afford this internship unless your parents give you good financial support. I'm very fortunate to have been lucky enough that. Overall, the pay is better than Campus Special though.

Product (Where do I start?)
    Usage:
    - Students don't use, or know about the mobile app. Also, they don't use the coupons in the planner. I talked to plenty of past customers. EVERY person who had a coupon/ coupons in the planner in the past had single digit redemption. ACG teaches you to counter these rejections by telling them to make a coupon with a better deal. How do I tell them this when their coupon was giving away free stuff? Overall, this is just in my college town (20,000 students. Other markets that depend on college students for business could be different).
    Distribution: At least at my school, the student organization that distributes the product doesn't even pass out all of the planners. I still see them laid out in the College of Business, untouched months later.
    Mobile App:
    - I showed all these local business owners this newly updated mobile app coming out this school year. Today, it's almost November and it's still not out.
    Perception: Any established business owner already knows the company and hates the product. Almost every sale my co-workers and I had was to a new business, who hadn't heard of the product before. They also give you accounts from the year before that inside sales couldn't resign. Yeah, those don't really go too well.
    Prices:
    The prices of an ad are outrageous. In my market, a quarter page ad in the consumer guide was $1,000. What kind of college student uses a consumer guide? You're obviously just going to google it.

Management
    - Management will lie to customers to make a sale. Also, the office in NC is extremely unorganized. They don't really know what they're doing. I'm not going to get specific with that.

- You really need to make an effort to gain exposure to the product. At least in my market, no one knows about it or uses it.
    -I felt like I ripped off any business owner I sold to. 99% of them will not benefit from buying the product.
    - Hurry up and update the mobile app. It's sad that it was a main selling point over the summer and it's not even updated yet.
    - If you paid interns more, they might be more motivated. When interns find all of the new customers for the company, you should compensate them for that.
    - The ACG needs to make some serious changes if they want to be successful. Campus Special already had a higher market share in my territory at least. Now that Chegg bought them and will re-brand them as "Chegg Campus Deals", the ACG will probably lose more of their market share.
    - Most of these crazy good reviews on Glassdoor are definitely written by the company
    - Johnny O is the man though.

AroundCampus Response

Nov 20, 2014President

Thanks for taking the time to post such a thorough review. I'm sorry the summer did not play out the way you would have hoped. Reading through other reviews your experience seems to be isolated ... More

Work the interns extremely hard. Great cold calling sales experience.

Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Dallas, TX

I worked at AroundCampus as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

- resume help at end of internship
    - you get to work in your college town most the time
    - job fair at training that helps you network

Cons

- long days; work after you go home
    - no official meeting place
    - not a great product for all cities
    - training is in the middle of finals/graduation and is EXHAUSTING
    - pay is "15% of all collected sales" so if your accounts don't pay in full, then you get no commission
    - $200 a week barley pays for gas

They want to help you succeed, so they are completely invested in you.

While I may have learned many skills in regards to sales, the company itself was awful to work for.

Former Employee - Sales Team Leader
    Former Employee - Sales Team Leader

I worked at AroundCampus as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

- Learned valuable sales skills
    - Gained confidence to talk to any business owner

Cons

- If you have a question, DON'T expect to get the right answer. Every single person you ask will direct you to someone else.
    - You're paid next to nothing
    - You'll be burnt out after 3-4 weeks (it's a 12 week internship)
    - You're selling a product that realistically does not help any businesses. You're basically lying to business owners, many small business owners, and it morally feels wrong