AroundCampus Reviews

1. Intern experience

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Richmond, VA

I worked at AroundCampus

Pros

Good experience. You get a feel of what working in an actual sales job will be like. Learn how to talk with businesses and find their needs. My people and business skills definitely improved by working here

Cons

The week long training while slightly entertaining, was a bit uneccessary. It was 90% pep talk and motivational speeches that got old, FAST. Maybe it was just me but I saw right through it from the beginning. The reason they do it because this job is so demotivational. They set totally unrealistic sales goals. Expect you to visit at least 30 businesses a day and regional managers are always on your back about "going out there and getting into businesses and meeting DMs and making presentations". Some of the managers are okay, but most gave a very fake vibe and it was annoying. They make commission off your sales so of course they are always trying to push you. As a sales intern you only make commission AFTER you've reached 10,000 in sales, which is rediculous because for the average intern that is a it how much you will make in sales. And the 200 a week draw is going to be used plenty on gas. The product your selling is also behind in the times. Print advertising that literally no businesses are interested in. Not to mention their prices are too high especially for the area I was in. Prepared to get a lot of hard NOs. The worst part is that when you do make sales, you feel like you ripped businesses off, you know they arnt getting more value in the product than they are paying. And you often stretch the truth to make a sale, my RMs when they would work with me often did the same thing. It's disgusting. With everything they ask of you, working 40+ hours a week is almost expected. After making 30+ calls and meeting with your team twice a day, they also want you to enter all of your prospects and standards online. Which serves absolutely no purpose except for performance reviews which directly benefit, again your regional managers. Oh plus calling and emailing all of your potential clients which I was told don't count as calls.. Looking back on this job everything about it irritates me.

Advice to Management

You need to reevaluate your business model top to bottom. Make the training more worthwhile. Your whole business model should not be based off taking advantage of interns. At least compensate them better. Until your mobile platform takes off, your product is totally obsolete.

Hard internship little compensation

Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative

I have been working at AroundCampus

Pros

Training Program in Chapel Hill was awesome. Learn if sales is the place for you Decent first internship Management is very enthusiastic Paid internship Work as much or little as you want

Cons

Internship was supposed to end on August 11th we will be working well into the end of august because of our sales deadline Training felt like freshman orientation Pay is very minimal for amount of work you are supposed to put in You are basically there to do the dirty work for the company by making cold calls all day everyday

Advice to Management

Compensate the employees more. We are making under minimum wage. Tell us that there will be deals to be offered before they occur, or better yet let us know about all of the deals that will be offered in training.

Horrible Experience-Even for Sales

I have been working at AroundCampus

Pros

You get the opportunity to see a lot of businesses in your college community. If you know you want a career in sales, then this would probably be a good option for a summer internship. I realized what I don't want to do for a career.

Cons

This was the worst job I have ever had. The training did not prepare me whatsoever for the internship, and all they do is go on and on about how this is going to be the best summer job ever. The pay is horrible. I spent more on gas than what I made each week. The job description itself is fairly vague, and I had no idea of what I was actually doing until the first day of work. And the approach to selling is all wrong. They tell you to question the business owner and find out their needs, but they tell you to say the same thing to each owner, regardless of their specified needs. Also, the prices are ridiculously high for reaching such a narrow market. Most business owners will realize that this is a horrible way to actually reach the students and will (wisely) realize that this would be an utter waste of their money. I felt so sleazy the entire time I was trying to sell.

Advice to Management

Tell your interns what they will actually be doing, and set realistic goals. Selling is based on catering to the customer, not throwing them a memorized pitch that doesn't even relate to the business' needs.

5. Work you to death...

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at AroundCampus

Pros

I got to make my own schedule as a sales associate, so that was nice. They also match you with a team that compliments your personality.

Cons

They literally work you to death. They wanted me out and selling any time the sun was up, and sometimes when it was down. And cold calling is not fun, but the company won't embrace any other selling methods.

Advice to Management

Stop thinking of sales as a numbers game... instead of cold calling, there are other more targeted sales methods that might be more profitable.

Good internship if you're looking to go into sales, bad otherwise

Former Employee - Sales Representative in New Brunswick, NJ
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in New Brunswick, NJ

I worked at AroundCampus

Pros

Free one week trip to North Carolina for job-training You work by yourself and make your own schedule for setting appointments with clients They provide you free housing if needed

Cons

They expect you to work long hours and the you are not given much territory with which to work with Selling print ads is becoming increasingly difficult and the work itself can get very boring You have to pay for your own gas and other expenses and there is very little compensation unless you sell very well (which, honestly, is based on the territory you are working with) The "managers" are people who are mostly in their mid-20s who are not genuine and will tell you what you want to hear so that you are motivated to make sales

Advice to Management

Overall, I was disappointed by the internship because, while the initial job training was outstanding, the entire internship was boring and often times impossible to deal with. I worked in a territory that was extremely poor and where businesses were barely surviving - they had no intention to buy over-priced print ads. I did not think the managers were helpful at all, and were very keen on "firing people" if they thought those people were not making enough sales (even though this was mostly due to the bad territory we were given). I also wish you would have been more up-front about compensation and how renewal ads worked, because what was said in training and what we actually had to do were two totally different things. I felt that employees kept a lot from the interns, and that really disappointed me.

7. It is what you make it.

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Huntsville, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Huntsville, TX

I worked at AroundCampus full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Training in North Carolina was great. - Met some great people, including my boyfriend (; - Worked own schedule.

Cons

- VERY underpaid for the work you do. - when talking to the "decision makers", they did not like UD at all. - sold in a very small, very budgeted market which made things thirty times harder.

Advice to Management

PAY THE INTERNS MORE FOR THEIR WORK! Too much hard work for too little pay.

AroundCampus Response

Dec 30, 2012 – President

Thanks for your feedback. In regards to compensation, we review the program each year and routinely find the compensation is on par with other internship programs. Naturally, we have to factor in ... More

NOT the Internship they Portray it to be

Former Employee - Intern
    Former Employee - Intern

I worked at AroundCampus full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Public Speaking Experience Free trip to North Carolina Sales Job Opportunities after if you do well

Cons

NOT a MARKETING internship Full time hours with part time pay Walking business to business all summer Cult like culture

Advice to Management

When recruiting interns be honest about what the position entails. Don't promote it as a marketing or business internship it is a SALES internship.

AroundCampus Response

Jan 12, 2014 – President

While we've never been shy of our sales internship, marketing by definition is "the action or business of promoting and selling products or services, including market research and advertising." ... More

has it's good points if you stick it out, ALOT of drawbacks though

I worked at AroundCampus

Pros

Good experience in sales allows you to really get your hands dirty with how outside sales works meet a lot of people that work around town some may offer jobs if your pitch is really well, a good point on your resume if you work hard you can be very successful. Fun training and good networking opportunities plus a free trip and stay at UNC. Senior management is awesome Johnny O especially!

Cons

Outdated products college students don't use directories anymore and that's the main selling point of the business everything the print ads have to offer can be looked up way easier on your phone. Prices are sky high for print which in my market was more expensive then TV commercials. kinda like scamming businesses out of their money because students don't even know the product exists but you tell business owners that it's a vital part of how students get information. Since managers get commission based on interns sometimes they'll lie to get their way or lie to help make a sale which is never acceptable. Managers play favorites with who they want to work with more often giving others the cold shoulder. A lot of local businesses hate the directory because it doesn't generate any business and are only reached once per year. Pay barely gets you by and isn't taxed they really twist your arm when they say you receive comission on collected payments then tell you to tell business owners they can defer payments for a month or two, you never see the money.

Advice to Management

Re work the product to be more up to date and less costly. Have better customer service, periodic check ups on customers to see if there's any improvements that can be made in your service to them. Ensure that managers are honest and don't twist arms to get their way and they spend an equal amount of time with each school. Better pay and compensation for Gas. Flexible schedule for those taking summer classes

10. Good for personal development

I worked at AroundCampus

Pros

Learn a lot about yourself, learn how to speak to people, learn how to work hard, learn how to deal with difficult situations

Cons

No one liked the product. If they bought it in the past, they were not buying it again. No student actually knows what it is.

Advice to Management

Spend some time and resources on advertising to the students

Outside Sales Internship will help you in the long run

Former Employee - Sales Team Leader
    Former Employee - Sales Team Leader

I worked at AroundCampus

Pros

This internship helped me thicken my skin when it came to outside sales. I loved how they had full trust in their interns, you were put in your territory and expected to bring in good numbers. Many career partners that look to hire you out of the internship, but most are staffing/recruiting companies, which I am not personally interested in. Management is very approachable and friendly. Met all of the higher-ups during week-long all expenses paid training camp down in Chapel Hill.

Cons

You only get commission on what they collect before a certain date. You may sell a certain amount, but doesn't mean that you will collect the commission that you earned. I budgeted out expecting to get about $5000 in commission and received about 200 bucks on top of the $200 weekly forward you are given all summer. There is no proof of how much was collected before a certain date after the internship is over so I guess you are expected after the internship to act as Collections as well. However, in the long run this helped me because I am not as easily tricked by "salary" when applying for jobs,.

RSS Feed </> Embed