AroundCampus Reviews

DONT WORK HERE

Former Intern - Outside Sales Representative
    Former Intern - Outside Sales Representative

I worked at AroundCampus as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

none, literally absolutely nothing, the worst job i have had in my entire life, and I was successful at it too!

Cons

everything: bad pay, little support, long hours, no chance for middle-tier advancement

Horrible Experience-Even for Sales

I have been working at AroundCampus

Pros

You get the opportunity to see a lot of businesses in your college community.
    If you know you want a career in sales, then this would probably be a good option for a summer internship.
    I realized what I don't want to do for a career.

Cons

This was the worst job I have ever had. The training did not prepare me whatsoever for the internship, and all they do is go on and on about how this is going to be the best summer job ever. The pay is horrible. I spent more on gas than what I made each week. The job description itself is fairly vague, and I had no idea of what I was actually doing until the first day of work. And the approach to selling is all wrong. They tell you to question the business owner and find out their needs, but they tell you to say the same thing to each owner, regardless of their specified needs. Also, the prices are ridiculously high for reaching such a narrow market. Most business owners will realize that this is a horrible way to actually reach the students and will (wisely) realize that this would be an utter waste of their money. I felt so sleazy the entire time I was trying to sell.

Tell your interns what they will actually be doing, and set realistic goals. Selling is based on catering to the customer, not throwing them a memorized pitch that doesn't even relate to the business' needs.

Terrible experience

Former Employee - Intern in Ames, IA
    Former Employee - Intern in Ames, IA

I worked at AroundCampus

Pros

Training was effective and an overall good experience.

Cons

Extremely misleading. They talk a fantastic game, but in reality the internship is extremely frustrating and feels as though students are being used in a fruitless environment.

AroundCampus Response

Dec 30, 2012President

Very sorry to hear you did not enjoy your experience with us. We work very hard to ensure we are upfront with our recruiting and paint a realistic picture of the job. We incur significant costs to ... More

Hard internship little compensation

Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative

I have been working at AroundCampus

Pros

Training Program in Chapel Hill was awesome.
    Learn if sales is the place for you
    Decent first internship
    Management is very enthusiastic
    Paid internship
    Work as much or little as you want

Cons

Internship was supposed to end on August 11th we will be working well into the end of august because of our sales deadline
    Training felt like freshman orientation
    Pay is very minimal for amount of work you are supposed to put in
    You are basically there to do the dirty work for the company by making cold calls all day everyday

Compensate the employees more. We are making under minimum wage. Tell us that there will be deals to be offered before they occur, or better yet let us know about all of the deals that will be offered in training.

Do not work here.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Durham, NC
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Durham, NC

I worked at AroundCampus

Pros

You schedule your own work day.

Cons

You are essentially selling ad space in a university planner to local businesses (strictly a sales job, not the marketing and PR job it is presented as). You have to cold call 30 businesses a day and often deal with former clients who have been dissatisfied, as they are rarely happy with their ad's success.

Some of the managers are very good, but others lack organization. My regional manager did not give my sales team the information and paperwork we needed early enough in the internship to give us a chance to make our sales goal. Later in the summer, this manager ended up leaving the company without any warning which was also very disruptive.

7. Easy work but inefficient

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at AroundCampus as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

-Good work-life balance
    -Young office culture is very friendly

Cons

-Interns frequently ran out of work to do and were sent home early
    -Management doesn't seem to know what they want to do with the product, so there is unnecessary work

Hire fewer interns so work can be distributed more evenly.

Figure out what to do with the web/mobile products.

Outside Sales Internship will help you in the long run

Former Employee - Sales Team Leader
    Former Employee - Sales Team Leader

I worked at AroundCampus

Pros

This internship helped me thicken my skin when it came to outside sales. I loved how they had full trust in their interns, you were put in your territory and expected to bring in good numbers. Many career partners that look to hire you out of the internship, but most are staffing/recruiting companies, which I am not personally interested in. Management is very approachable and friendly. Met all of the higher-ups during week-long all expenses paid training camp down in Chapel Hill.

Cons

You only get commission on what they collect before a certain date. You may sell a certain amount, but doesn't mean that you will collect the commission that you earned. I budgeted out expecting to get about $5000 in commission and received about 200 bucks on top of the $200 weekly forward you are given all summer. There is no proof of how much was collected before a certain date after the internship is over so I guess you are expected after the internship to act as Collections as well. However, in the long run this helped me because I am not as easily tricked by "salary" when applying for jobs,.

9. Good for personal development

I worked at AroundCampus

Pros

Learn a lot about yourself, learn how to speak to people, learn how to work hard, learn how to deal with difficult situations

Cons

No one liked the product. If they bought it in the past, they were not buying it again. No student actually knows what it is.

Spend some time and resources on advertising to the students

10. Like any Sales Company.. they know how to fool you..

Former Intern - Outside Sales Representative in Chapel Hill, NC
    Former Intern - Outside Sales Representative in Chapel Hill, NC

I worked at AroundCampus as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

+ Good training academy
    + Very motivational management team
    + They understand their company and promote it in a very good way

Cons

+ Regional Managers were not very helpful
    + The company's expectations were too high for certain college areas
    + Many local businesses were disappointed with previous years/lack of ROI

11. Sales Summer Internship

Former Intern - Sales Manager
    Former Intern - Sales Manager

I worked at AroundCampus as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

The training in North Carolina.
    Meeting new people.
    Getting the experience of cold calling.

Cons

Managers not being there at all times. This made it tough because the managers wouldn't be available like they said they would.
    Managers gossiping and getting out to the sales interns. Some of the managers made a rude GroupMe page about the interns and accidentally invited an intern into the group and they told everyone about it.
    How the pay works. You have to sell over $15,000 to even make commission. This is stupid because some schools have a smaller market and smaller goals.
    Also, they tell you that they will help finding a job for after graduation and they DO NOT!