AroundCampus

Updated October 28, 2014
3.5

AroundCampus President John O'Brien
John O'Brien

Pros
  • You really learn a lot about yourself and how hard you work because this is the whole internship (in 14 reviews)

• The training program in Chapel Hill allows you to meet lots of other students from across the country (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Long Hours: You are required to work 40 hours per week (in 24 reviews)

• In the area I was in it was hard to sell because the product isn't as well known (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

EXPERIENCE OF A LIFE TIME

Former Employee - Sales Team Leader/Sales in Ames, IA
    Former Employee - Sales Team Leader/Sales in Ames, IA

I worked at AroundCampus as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Best opportunity I could have ever asked for at a college level. NONE of my friends or classmates have had the experience I have had after completing this internship. Want to put yourself above the average and above all of the others you are competing against? DO IT. Best networking you could ever have a long with a training experience above all others. I had SEVEN companies reach out to me after the internship was over because they appreciate how difficult it is and what kind of person it takes to be successful.

Cons

Hardest thing I have ever done during the first month. Can be emotionally draining but you get used to it after awhile. You will be SO GLAD when you stick it out.

KEEP IT UP! Awesome, positive, relatable, personable, talented, I could go on and on. And OUTSTANDING and sales training!

University Directories Reviews

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Ames, IA
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Ames, IA

I have been working at AroundCampus as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Voted the #1 collegiate media company in the nation, I would recommend this internship to anyone who is interested in building relationships, learning to challenge their limits, and is ready to take the next step in their career path. University Directories not only provides a great sales foundation academy in Chapel Hill, North Carolina for interns across the country, but they provide EXCELLENT management that continues to mentor and push you during the entire summer. As a college senior, I have so many valuable life lessons to take away from this internship and am already being reached out to by partners of the company for full-time positions after graduation. If you want to work at a place that is going to not only help you find a job, but continue to care about you as an individual, University Directories is the way to go! You'll take nothing but memorable experiences, close relationships, and skills you can use to enhance your daily lifestyle!

Cons

The only thing I would change about the internship is getting to know more people from other reasons. Although we had a close-knitted region, I feel people should be given more time to talk with others at training about different cultures and seeing if they would be interested in looking at employment outside of their comfort zones!

Creates the best career path for college students!

Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Winona, MN
    Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Winona, MN

I worked at AroundCampus as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The managers are the best you're ever going to have.
    You learn more in this internship then you do in the classrooms.
    Makes you stand out compared to your classmates for future jobs.
    Connects you with many great businesses that look for interns from this company.

Cons

Hearing "no" can get hard.
    Some businesses see the UD product as useless.
    Frustrating at times when businesses ignore you and you have to keep trying with them.

The managers and upper management make this job one of the best internships ever!

Networking Opportunity of my college career

Former Employee - Sales Team Leader/Sales in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Sales Team Leader/Sales in Richmond, VA

I worked at AroundCampus full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- Outside Sales crash course, gain experience few people have in college for careers
    - CAREER PARTNERS; the career partners of UD are excellent employers to build a career with. working here got me interviews from RVA to LAX
    - Sales staff is nothing but supportive.

Cons

- Not for people that are lazy, youll waste your summer

Keep doing what youre doing

Great and Satisfying Experience

Former Employee - Sales Representative in College Park, MD
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in College Park, MD

I worked at AroundCampus as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

One of the major pros of this internship was the training all interns received at UNC. This was a great time where we really learned about the company and how to be good sales reps. During this internship I not only learned a lot about sales/marketing, but I learned a lot about business in general. I was able to learn a lot and was able to talk with business owners so that we could identify their needs and move forward with the best ad possible in our publication. This internship taught me how hard work will truly pay off, and to always stay positive and persistant. I truly learned a lot and found this to be a very valuable and rewarding summer interning with University Directories. Also the managers are very accessible and are eager to help with any issues you may have. They truly care about developing their interns into the best business people possible.

Cons

One of the cons is that this job can get very frustrating. During training it seems as though sales will be easy but it is not that way out in the field. This can get people very discouraged but in the end being persistant and moving past all the rejections will end up paying off.

Keep doing the morning webinars. I really liked these during our group meetings every morning. Also keep being open and making your interns feel comfortable asking anybody in the company for help or advice.

Career Changing

I have been working at AroundCampus as an intern

Pros

Incredible Experience, Challenging, Will get you out of your comfort zone and give you skills you can use.

Cons

Understanding that it takes time to grow.

Keep it up!

Great Experience! Great Leaders! Hard Work! Big Job Opportunities! Outstanding Internship

Current Employee - Sales Team Leader/Intern Sales Representative in Wilmington, NC

I have been working at AroundCampus as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Management
    Hands on
    Great references
    Resume Booster
    Tons of connections in your town
    Future job opportunities are endless
    Meet hundreds of business owners in your town
    you will be offered so many jobs!
    Great Family like business atmosphere!

Cons

Hard work!
    Long hours!
    Have to learn to be organized
    Mediocre pay but at least its payed whereas some internships aren't
    Need a car with good gas mileage!

Keep up the good work! Love the encouragement and the ride alongs

Rewarding, a life cexperience if interested in sales career

Former Employee - Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Sales Representative

I worked at AroundCampus part-time

Pros

Great relationship between coworkers, managers help you through every step of the process, week training paid in North Carolina, great company.

Cons

not enough weekly pay for amount of travel, long hours.

assist sales intern with every step of the sales process in the beginning.

the experience was a good one for an internship

Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Columbus, OH

I worked at AroundCampus as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The company was great at motivating you during the week long training trip and the daily webinars from the President of the company where supportive and very helpful.

Cons

Guidance from regional managers was hard to come by, but you did get it every once in a while.

Fullfilling

I have been working at AroundCampus

Pros

If you put in the effort, you will get hooked up with post grad jobs, plain and simple.
    You learn about yourself and foster great new skills/

Cons

You have to really work your ass off, sometimes things can be confusing and not all that transparent with regards to how you conduct yourself.