AroundCampus

Updated December 11, 2014
3.5

AroundCampus President John O'Brien
John O'Brien

Pros
  • You really learn a lot about yourself and how hard you work because this is the whole internship (in 14 reviews)

• The training program in Chapel Hill allows you to meet lots of other students from across the country (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • Long Hours: You are required to work 40 hours per week (in 25 reviews)

• In the area I was in it was hard to sell because the product isn't as well known (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Good Experience

I worked at AroundCampus as an intern

Pros

Wonderful experience in b2b sales, awesome home office environment, great management

Cons

Cold calling on businesses can be difficult, and the pay is low for living week-to-week

I'd do the internship again.

Former Employee - Project Design Specialist in Chapel Hill, NC
    Former Employee - Project Design Specialist in Chapel Hill, NC

I worked at AroundCampus as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

If you're like me and were tragically born missing a trust fund, it's nice to work over the summer to get some money and job experience. As far as opportunities go, I think this is probably one of the more legit ones.

* They won't have you selling knives that can cut pennies in half (you don't need one anyway, you don't have a trust fund, remember?) and you even get your own cubical if you're a Project Design Specialist.
    * You get an hour paid lunch. You might end up working through it most days during the July rush, but that's more of a personal choice then a hard requirement.
    * The company makes a real effort to have a fun culture. I think they genuinely enjoy having students from as many college as possible. There are college emblems everywhere.
    * The supervisors all seemed like very kind person. You don't have to fear having an impersonal slave driving boss(wo)man.

Cons

* As deadline season (July) approaches, things many get a little intense. I can not emphasises enough that no one is ever required to stay past standard working hours (8:30-5:30, with flexible 1 hour paid lunch break) though you will probably have teammates who are staying late, and this may make you feel a little obligated to chip in extra too. In a good way though I suppose.
    * Pay is a little low.
    * Computers are riddled with issues, especially for design based jobs.
    * This is a (generally attractive) female dominated internship. Sounds pretty cool for the guys, at least at first, but if you're more of an introvert like me, and can be hard to make and keep work friends with so few guys in your bro-mediate area. It's still possible if you can friends in other departments however.

Get some new computers. I specially advised that mine should be thrown into a volcano when my internship ended.
    When you talk about opportunities to be brought on full time, make sure you mention the actual job probably won't start until the start of the following summer. This makes the internship only valuable as a "foot in the door" to those who still have a year left of school if they want a job to graduate to.

While I may have learned many skills in regards to sales, the company itself was awful to work for.

Former Employee - Sales Team Leader
    Former Employee - Sales Team Leader

I worked at AroundCampus as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

- Learned valuable sales skills
    - Gained confidence to talk to any business owner

Cons

- If you have a question, DON'T expect to get the right answer. Every single person you ask will direct you to someone else.
    - You're paid next to nothing
    - You'll be burnt out after 3-4 weeks (it's a 12 week internship)
    - You're selling a product that realistically does not help any businesses. You're basically lying to business owners, many small business owners, and it morally feels wrong

Bad Product, High Price

Former Employee - Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Sales Representative

I worked at AroundCampus as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Teaches you how to approach others and be persistent.

Gives a good training environment in Chapel Hill, and connects you with other interns from across the nation.

Cons

Horrible product being sold. Must rely on puffery to sell product.

Management is at times unprofessional and in my experience, will lie to business owners to get a sale.

I felt bad after every sale knowing that the product would not help the customer.

Great workplace environment, positive and productive

I worked at AroundCampus as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great leadership, awesome people to work with every day. Experienced a lot of personal growth throughout the workdays and entire summer

Cons

Not too many cons. Was quite time consuming for the wage, however the internship is geared towards personal and career growth.

Include more balance in the training program, build more value to the products offered.

Got me on my current career path in sales, this internship is amazing

I worked at AroundCampus as an intern

Pros

Teaches you what it takes to be successful in sales, this is a hard internship and you need to be incredibly self motivated and driven to succeed. If you do succeed, you will be graduating with employers chomping at the bit to hire you, its a pretty great feeling.

Cons

Long hours, low pay, and somewhat fake culture, still some really awesome and intelligent people though.

Keep it up!

Summer Sales Internship

Former Employee - Sales Team Leader in Fort Myers, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Team Leader in Fort Myers, FL

I worked at AroundCampus as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Free trip to North Carolina , that experience alone is worth the whole summer. I meet the most amazing people for all over the US, worked all day and partied all night, this is a fast pace "work hard,play hard" internship. It's like a mixture of spring break and finals week. Meet some amazing connection here. It's paid!

Cons

After "challenge accepted", you have the responsibility of going business to business ( 40 businesses a day with your own vehicle&gas) and sell advertising . You need to learn to be a people person if you're not already. This is a pro and con but more a con, the company started from an intern and every employee in the company started where you did, the down side is that no one is an expert, when you call the home office sometimes they know about as much as you do.

paper may not be dead, but the app is really where it's at. keep improving.

Unfortunate

I worked at AroundCampus as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great resume builder, most companies require internships or some work-related experience. Training is the best part, it's where you get like 3 hours of sleep a night but it's fun because all of the interns are there.

Cons

Long hours and the pay is basically $4 an hour. The $200 weekly they pay you will be spent on gas. They say you make commission after $2400 but you actually have to sale over $16,000 to get 15% of sales after that (which most people don't do) they also didn't pay us the full $2400. Managers are nice at first then get really pushy and mean.

Stop letting inside sales sale so much, you're taking away from the hard-working interns who are out in the heat working hard and burning gas.

Great opportunity

Former Employee - Territory Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Territory Sales Representative

I worked at AroundCampus as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Training is top notch but very tough. Will learn lots of skills that will help you further your career. If you are very successful the job can be very lucrative. You will get out what you put in.

Cons

Very tough when you actually begin selling in your market. Some customers will pretty much downgrade you to the point of depression. Many objections are hard to overcome.

Keep it up. Its not easy to train 600+ college students every summer and still be successful.

Best learning experience of my life

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Edmond, OK
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Edmond, OK

I worked at AroundCampus as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

A summer interning with the around campus group will be the hardest summer of your life. You will work harder than you can imagine, but you will learn more than what expected to. I came into this internship really having no idea what I signed up for and ended up loving it. I learned valuable skills that I will use forever, and truly feel sales is a great career path for me.

Cons

This internship will be hard at times. Over most of the summer I didn't make many sales. Yet, I came back and killed it in the end. The pay is low, but it's an internship it's better than nothing. You learn to handle being told NO a lot.

Don't put your sales managers over to many states where they can't visit you as much. Also put states in Regions that are actually close to each other, and maybe time zone.