AroundCampus Reviews

It Is a SCAM!!!!!

Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Chicago, IL

I worked at AroundCampus

Pros

$200/week & good food downtown (that's it)

Cons

They lie to you about everything. The commission does not work the way they explain. They told me after I sold $2,400 in advertising, I would start making commission (before the internship) THEN they told me after that I had to sell $16,000 to start making commission. We were their puppets/pawn in their game. We made their money. If we didn't make sales they wouldn't encourage us, they would just brag about their top sellers. It was really disheartening and I hated every second of it.

AroundCampus Response

Mar 1, 2015President

I was sorry to read about your experience. We work hard to ensure our students are well aware of the compensation prior to acceptance to the program. Our RMs include the compensation conversation ... More

2. Clients Relations Associate

Former Intern - Customer Relations Associate in Chapel Hill, NC
    Former Intern - Customer Relations Associate in Chapel Hill, NC

I worked at AroundCampus as an intern

Pros

The managers are all very young and laid back. Made the interviewing experience go very smoothly.

Cons

not willing to negotiate pay

Terrible - Do Not Intern

Former Employee - Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Sales Representative

I worked at AroundCampus

Pros

None - honestly. Good sales practice but just find a more reputable company to intern at

Cons

Terrible pay, horrible product, try to get you to work overtime for free. Walking and driving around all day by yourself

5. Sales Summer Internship

Former Intern - Sales Manager
    Former Intern - Sales Manager

I worked at AroundCampus as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

The training in North Carolina.
    Meeting new people.
    Getting the experience of cold calling.

Cons

Managers not being there at all times. This made it tough because the managers wouldn't be available like they said they would.
    Managers gossiping and getting out to the sales interns. Some of the managers made a rude GroupMe page about the interns and accidentally invited an intern into the group and they told everyone about it.
    How the pay works. You have to sell over $15,000 to even make commission. This is stupid because some schools have a smaller market and smaller goals.
    Also, they tell you that they will help finding a job for after graduation and they DO NOT!

Good Internship - Tons of job opps after completetion

I have been working at AroundCampus

Pros

Good career partners good training
    good management. great friendships.
    still keep in touch with over 40 people i met acrross the us

Cons

hard sales
    cold calling
    hot summer in NC
    wasn't at the beach with my friends.
    long hours.

my manager was awesome and is still a close friend/mentor

has it's good points if you stick it out, ALOT of drawbacks though

I worked at AroundCampus

Pros

Good experience in sales allows you to really get your hands dirty with how outside sales works meet a lot of people that work around town some may offer jobs if your pitch is really well, a good point on your resume if you work hard you can be very successful. Fun training and good networking opportunities plus a free trip and stay at UNC. Senior management is awesome Johnny O especially!

Cons

Outdated products college students don't use directories anymore and that's the main selling point of the business everything the print ads have to offer can be looked up way easier on your phone. Prices are sky high for print which in my market was more expensive then TV commercials. kinda like scamming businesses out of their money because students don't even know the product exists but you tell business owners that it's a vital part of how students get information. Since managers get commission based on interns sometimes they'll lie to get their way or lie to help make a sale which is never acceptable. Managers play favorites with who they want to work with more often giving others the cold shoulder. A lot of local businesses hate the directory because it doesn't generate any business and are only reached once per year. Pay barely gets you by and isn't taxed they really twist your arm when they say you receive comission on collected payments then tell you to tell business owners they can defer payments for a month or two, you never see the money.

Re work the product to be more up to date and less costly. Have better customer service, periodic check ups on customers to see if there's any improvements that can be made in your service to them. Ensure that managers are honest and don't twist arms to get their way and they spend an equal amount of time with each school. Better pay and compensation for Gas. Flexible schedule for those taking summer classes

Awesome Sales Experience

Current Intern - Outside Sales Representative in Cedar Falls, IA
    Current Intern - Outside Sales Representative in Cedar Falls, IA

I have been working at AroundCampus as an intern (more than a year)

Pros

The best thing about working for AroundCampus is the experience and relationships you gain throughout the summer. AroundCampus provides college students with a nationally recognized sales training program that help prepare them for a career in sales. The experience you gain throughout the summer is priceless. I went from an average college students with an average resume to a college student that is being contacted by about two recruiters every week. AroundCampus has set me up to have a very successful career in sales.

Cons

I believe the only people who see negative things in the AroundCampus internship are people who do not succeed in sales. Yes, sales is tough, especially door-to-door cold calling. There will be some days where you won't come close to closing a sale but it is all worth it in the end. You have to be committed, organized, passionate, and patient if you want to be a successful sales rep for AroundCampus.

9. Hard work but worth it

Former Intern - Sales Representative in Memphis, TN
    Former Intern - Sales Representative in Memphis, TN

I worked at AroundCampus as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

The overall experience was super challenging but it also helped me to gain some real world work experience. The training week was so fun but still prepared me for the job. Taught me a lot about how to conduct myself in business meetings and my interview skills really benefited.

Cons

Its a hard hard job. Also they don't allow you to have any vacation days (which in the summer is kinda a big deal for family time) and the pay was not explained as well as it could have been.

Try to understand that towards the end of the summer, you've almost run out of businesses to talk to and in some areas a "Hard No" can't be turned into a yes.

Toughest Internship Out There...but Beyond Worth It

Current Intern - Outside Sales Representative in Memphis, TN
    Current Intern - Outside Sales Representative in Memphis, TN

I have been working at AroundCampus as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Extensive training in Chapel Hill, NC. As a marketing major, I learned more during this week than in most of my classes.
    I set my own schedule. Management comes to town weekly to provide coaching but I'm allowed the freedom to go out and schedule my own meetings and be my own boss.
    I wasn't left on my own, though, after training because I could call my manager anytime (day or night) and he helped me out.
    Really useful getting to meet different business owners and get to know how they run their businesses.
    Daily webinar with the president of the company.
    The Career Partners reaching out with job opportunities (or if you find a job with someone else your manager will help you get a job)

Cons

Rejection is tough...I had to meet with businesses 5-6 times before they would say yes.
    When I heard my sales goal, it seemed impossible...but once we broke it down among my teammates and the days/weeks of the summer...it became clear just how possible it was.
    All of the career partners are sales jobs

11. Internship ONLY for sales people

Current Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Current Intern - Anonymous Intern

I have been working at AroundCampus as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Yeah, if you are a sales person, this is the perfect internship for you. They treat their interns very well. They will pay all expenses during internship training.

Cons

They say this internship help all majors. It's a big lie. If you are marking or PR, run. Companies will start contacting you only for sales. They will ignore the rest of your experience in your resume.