AroundCampus

Updated October 17, 2014
3.4

AroundCampus President John O'Brien
John O'Brien

Pros
  • You really learn a lot about yourself and how hard you work because this is the whole internship (in 13 reviews)

• The training program in Chapel Hill allows you to meet lots of other students from across the country (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Long Hours: You are required to work 40 hours per week (in 24 reviews)

• Hard hard hard job, basically no pay, advertising is outdated and hard to sell (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

It is what you make it.

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Huntsville, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Huntsville, TX

I worked at AroundCampus full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- Training in North Carolina was great.
    - Met some great people, including my boyfriend (;
    - Worked own schedule.

Cons

- VERY underpaid for the work you do.
    - when talking to the "decision makers", they did not like UD at all.
    - sold in a very small, very budgeted market which made things thirty times harder.

PAY THE INTERNS MORE FOR THEIR WORK! Too much hard work for too little pay.

AroundCampus Response

Dec 30, 2012President

Thanks for your feedback. In regards to compensation, we review the program each year and routinely find the compensation is on par with other internship programs. Naturally, we have to factor in ... More

depends on your territory

Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Evanston, IL
    Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Evanston, IL

I have been working at AroundCampus as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

decent experience
    fun training
    chance to make friends

Cons

horrible compensation if sales are low
    print media dying, hard to sell ads
    management not transparent
    no offices near territories

have a base salary and then add a smaller commission instead of giving advances on commission only

AroundCampus Response

Dec 30, 2012President

Glad you enjoyed the training and believe the summer program was a good experience for you. We review the compensation each year to ensure we're competitive. Your feedback is appreciated.

Summer Internship

Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative

I have been working at AroundCampus as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

If you're self-motivated it's a great job. Great for those who are interested and like selling. The week long training is great, and you get to learn a lot.

Cons

It is all cold calling and the product is not easily sold in most markets.
    Long hours and days with little pay.
    High expectations of sales goals
    Very hard to stay motivated when hearing "no" all day.

Try if you really really really didn't get an offer anywhere esle

Former Employee - Sales Team Leader in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Sales Team Leader in Madison, WI

I worked at AroundCampus as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

It helped me get a great job after college, but I really just needed any business experience to make my resume look good. I was sufficient in leadership categories and needed this job to help me get recognized after college.

Cons

I lost money on the whole summer. The sales experience is not enjoyable and the product is not very marketable. The stated rates were ridiculous to ask for print advertising that had such small distribution. Competition had a better proposition with more salesmen flexibility on pricing. I did not learn much from this job experience.

Give salespeople a better opportunity to have control over pricing. You need to close the sale in the first trip for a successful summer.

Good internship if you're looking to go into sales, bad otherwise

Former Employee - Sales Representative in New Brunswick, NJ
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in New Brunswick, NJ

I worked at AroundCampus

Pros

Free one week trip to North Carolina for job-training
    You work by yourself and make your own schedule for setting appointments with clients
    They provide you free housing if needed

Cons

They expect you to work long hours and the you are not given much territory with which to work with
    Selling print ads is becoming increasingly difficult and the work itself can get very boring
    You have to pay for your own gas and other expenses and there is very little compensation unless you sell very well (which, honestly, is based on the territory you are working with)
    The "managers" are people who are mostly in their mid-20s who are not genuine and will tell you what you want to hear so that you are motivated to make sales

Overall, I was disappointed by the internship because, while the initial job training was outstanding, the entire internship was boring and often times impossible to deal with. I worked in a territory that was extremely poor and where businesses were barely surviving - they had no intention to buy over-priced print ads. I did not think the managers were helpful at all, and were very keen on "firing people" if they thought those people were not making enough sales (even though this was mostly due to the bad territory we were given). I also wish you would have been more up-front about compensation and how renewal ads worked, because what was said in training and what we actually had to do were two totally different things. I felt that employees kept a lot from the interns, and that really disappointed me.

pretty

I worked at AroundCampus

Pros

You get to work your own schedule and dont have to much interference from management. If you are lucky enough to have a good team it can be bearable

Cons

it is a terrible product that is hard to pitch because you actually feel like you are taking money from the businesses and not helping them.

The only redeeming factor was a boost to my resume

I worked at AroundCampus

Pros

Get to work without someone watching you at all times
    Paid based on performance
    Get to work with business owners
    Good for the resume

Cons

Paid like crap
    Selling print ads that no one ever read
    No ones ever heard of the website or will ever use it
    Pretty much every business has heard the same sales pitch the past 10 years and are still not buying it

Don't spend a full week teaching a sales pitch no one will ever actually use

You get the experience that companies are looking for, but it is 13 weeks of torture!

I worked at AroundCampus

Pros

Learn A LOT about yourself, and what you want out of a career
    Valuable Experience
    Looks good on a resume (Forbes Top 10 Internships in the US)
    The North Carolina training camp is great

Cons

100% COLD CALLING
    the product is good in theory, but painfully outdated
    VERY hard to sell
    forget getting any time off, which sucks because it takes up your whole summer
    paid less than $5/hr for 40+ hrs/week of HARD work

This job is definitely the dirty work. I mean it's a smart business model for the company, but the Sales Reps are made to feel like their minions. I would suggest focusing more on marketing the website and mobile application. The hardest thing about this product to sell besides it being a print ad, is the fact that NO ONE knows what aroundcampus.com is. Spend what your not paying your interns on marketing the product so at least they will have some chance in hell at selling it.

OH! And stop making the job sound like it's a "Marketing and Sales" Job. There is absolutely no marketing involved. This is strictly COLD CALLING. end of story.

This internship is grueling (as are most sales job) and I found very little personal satisfaction.

Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative

I have been working at AroundCampus

Pros

Free paid training in North Carolina
    Team spirit/pride
    Easy application process
    Self-management (you control how your day goes)
    Potential to make greater compensation
    Networking opportunities at training

Cons

Cold-call sales is a difficult job- you face a lot of rejection
    Bad compensation for the average intern- $200 a week for the hours you are working is less than minimum wage!
    Company does not reimburse gas/travel
    Expected to work outside of the 8:30-5:30 work hours
    Lack of motivation as the internship progresses
    Product does not work

Pay your interns more
    Put less emphasis on training (the top seller in my region only went to training for two days)
    Make the product better! Print is so hard to sell and your website does not receive nearly enough traffic to warrant how much you are charging businesses to get online

Good Sales Experience, Questionable Company

Former Employee - Sales Team Leader
    Former Employee - Sales Team Leader

I worked at AroundCampus

Pros

- Learn whether sales is the right path for you
    - Looks good on a resume. But only if you do really well
    - Paid training in Chapel Hill, NC.
    - Meet a lot of great interns along the way

Cons

- Campus directories and planners are a thing of the past. Companies are moving away from print advertising
    - I sold in the top 15% out of all 700 interns and got ZERO dollars in commission. The system is set up to screw you. You are expected to collect money within two months otherwise you don't get commission. AND you only begin to get commission when you sell over $10,000 in Ads.

Quit being so cheap! Most outside sales jobs pay $300-400 in car reimbursements alone, not even including salary or commission. You pay $150/week with no other pay besides the unpromising commission structure? That's ridiculous. I understand this is an internship, but this should not be slave labor. Try AT LEAST offering respectable rewards during the sales contests. Offering a $25 gift card to Jimmy Johns for someone who sells 5 grand in Ads for the week is like a kick in the face. I could bearly pay for my coffee at 8am.