Arrow Electronics

Arrow Electronics Reviews

Updated Jul 9, 2014

Arrow Electronics President, CEO, and Director Mike Long

Mike Long

Pros:
  • "Good compensation, independent work environment, challenging and satisfying work"
    in 15 reviews
  • "Work life balance is great, office culture is laid back"
    in 8 reviews
Cons:
  • "Upper management places no more value on their employees than they would a copy machine"
    in 10 reviews
  • "Career advancement is extremely difficult"
    in 8 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

It's Who You Know Not What You Know

ProsFirst half of my career Arrow taught me a lot and challenged me strengthening my skills. I felt proud to be part of the team the first few years.

ConsDownhill fast since 2009. Never seen so many layers of Directors and V. P. titles and less employees doing the hard work with no recognition . Leaders promoting inner circle leaders.

Advice to Senior ManagementShare the wealth of opportunity to all those that got you to the top. Stop using those hard working individuals as a step on your ladder. Promoting within is great as long as it's an opportunity for all not just the inner circle.

Run Forest, run.

Sales and Marketing Representative (Current Employee)
    Wallingford, CT

ProsDescent benefits, stable work, good people.

ConsOver worked and under paid. I have never been so busy overseeing one account. Quotes, change orders, order entry, drawing reviews, expedites. You could work 24-7 and still not be caught up and then get grief from management. Compensation does not equate to the amount of work done daily.

Advice to Senior ManagementTalk more frequently with your employees, listen to what they say and build from it.

Traditional big company with glass ceiling and earnings limitations on employees

Inside Sales Representative (Former Employee)
    Englewood, CO

ProsJob stability, training offering, had a good Sales Manager

ConsPersonal growth, leadership, stagnation in market

Advice to Senior ManagementBecome a modern company, focus on

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

ARROW Field Sales Review

Field Sales Representative II (Current Employee)

ProsGood compensation and benefits, fair budgets, good training and management

Cons"Performance based compensation" will limit the amount of money you will make

Good opportunity, but you will have to work for it.

ProsGood opportunity for career advancement.

ConsWorkforce has been cut to the bone. Doing more with less.

Advice to Senior ManagementEventually, the bare bones workforce will produce diminishing returns.

Great company .. lots of opportunities

Supervisor (Former Employee)
    Englewood, CO

ProsThe people are great to work with and for

ConsFast moving, a bit stressful

Would not recommend a career here

ProsCo-workers are good people, and flexibility - can work from home 2 days a week - plus others work remote. Benefits are okay -- they do have some of the extras -- but your main insurance is good if you go to your primary doctor - otherwise, it's like not having insurance when you go to a specialist. Would prefer a co-pay so I can go to all doctors I need to see.

ConsCheap company. They start you off at low salary base/commission and do not give raises (except to very few). Three years without a raise even though I've done everything the company has asked -- plus I know 3 other talented, experienced employees who had to leave for this reason - the only way to increase their income was to leave. Departments are getting more separated and management is not promoting customer service internally. Training is done by new employees in my area and they do not have a central training person or dept. Company keeps acquisitioning and boasts fortune 150 company - yet doesn't pay the employees who are helping make them a success. Coming from more real corporate environments - this company does not work the same way- managers are overloaded with no assistants, little support, little training - etc. They also do not post openings when they become available (internally). Overall disappointed.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo a better job - give raises, promote within, work with new managers, change insurance so we can go see specialist w/ co-pays, get rid of the new commission structure - the 3rd month pay back if you miss quota (even though you may have hit 100% in the 2 months prior -- this is the most moral killer, along with no raises (not even cost of living)....love the work from home - I personally end up working more (start earlier and work late at night).... It has not hurt my productivity, and has helped me be more available when needed by my accounts.

Reliable paycheck vs. your stamina for no leadership.

(Current Employee)
    Reno, NV

ProsReliable paycheck until commitments start faltering and the layoffs begin.
    The intent of keeping as much out of the landfills as possible is a noble tenet.

ConsLiving wage not found here. Hiring from within without decent pay increases. People in positions of authority that have no business being there. Mandatory extra hours, everyday? Mandatory weekends, every weekend? Are we slaves? Arrow is the most hostile work environment, I have experienced, from the management, to the upset employees, to the stupendous lack of teamwork, to the HR that disregards every real problem, to the upper location management that are more disconnected from the environment than their upper management. It's nifty that MBAs know the breaking point of the number of individuals it takes to complete a certain task before redundancy. But, with Arrow, it's the same problem seen with most degree professionals of Biz Admin (MBA) I have known - No Leadership! Join the military and stay in until at least E-6 or O-4 and you will know what leadership is all about (set the example for yourself, first and everyday -woops, gave away the secret). Or, better yet, hire those ex-military upper leaders to lead your people to profits. $7.5 million take home for Mike Long in 2012 with only a Bachelor's degree from U. of Wisconsin? No pay increases seen for the employees. New reverse logistics software has a negative effect on clients - get it fixed asap.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe best leader is the best follower. Don't know what I mean? You cannot manage people: stop trying. You have to >LEAD< people. Learn some leadership and start applying it. Or, hire the proven or even potentially good managers / leaders and you will see everything change for the positive; stop promoting people with huge attitudes to positions of authority and that have no training. Review your current managers, from the top down and you will understand (know thyself).

Good company to work for if you are not located in NY

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Melville, NY

ProsCan't think of anything to say

ConsAdvancement opportuntiies were slim. Positions were being relocated out of NY to CO.

Advice to Senior ManagementOnce the current CEO was appointed, he never once stepped foot in the Melville NY office. We all knew our fate was sealed.

heading in the right direction

Marketing Manager (Former Employee)
    Denver, CO

ProsIt is a big ship to steer and many of the typical obstacles a large company faces are present at Arrow, but upper management seems to be moving in the right direction. Good stable company if that is what you are looking for.

Consyou are better off coming in with expertise than expecting Arrow to provide guidance and training, I hear that they may be addressing some of that.

Worked for Arrow Electronics? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Arrow Electronics reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Arrow Electronics CEO Mike Long. All 238 reviews posted anonymously by Arrow Electronics employees.