Arrow Electronics

Updated December 18, 2014
2.9

Arrow Electronics President, CEO, and Director Mike Long
Mike Long

Pros
  • Flexibility, and can work from home 2 days (after a year) (in 10 reviews)

• Some management willing to work with the employees to find a work life balance (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Depending on the team, hours can get crazy, work-life balance isnt exactly ideal (in 10 reviews)

• Terrible middle management and upper management is disconnected from employees (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Mixed Reviews

Former Employee - Sales Operations Specialist in Alpharetta, GA
    Former Employee - Sales Operations Specialist in Alpharetta, GA

I worked at Arrow Electronics full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits. Ability to work from home. Open door policy. Relaxed dress atmosphere. Free coffee. Long tenur among employees.

Cons

Promotion opportunities very limited. LONG hours. Management does not change much. No flexibility allowed in job role. Work-life balance is almost non-existent.

Management Upload

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Arrow Electronics full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits, opportunity for growth,

Cons

Frequent changes in higher level management and direction of company

stick with a program long enough to let it work, work out the bugs

Some good, some bad.

Former Employee - Brand Sales Specialist
    Former Employee - Brand Sales Specialist

I worked at Arrow Electronics full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good people overall. Executive leadership and direction were good.

Cons

Poor middle management. Poor systems, processes and tools.

Address the cons through direct interaction with lower leveled employees. They are your backbone, not middle management.

Disappointing

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Alpharetta, GA
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Alpharetta, GA

I worked at Arrow Electronics full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexibility, and can work from home 2 days (after a year)...co-workers are nice (mostly - there's always one or two who aren't team players)( ... but overall good working atmosphere....high cubicles, but not much privacy.
    Maybe a good place to get your foot in the door in this industry --- but a cheap company with lack of focus on running it like a real company/corporation. At first it seems nice but then you start to experience the issues mentioned in the cons.

Cons

Cheap company: You will not get rich at Arrow. No raise in three years. I knew of at least three people who left the company in order to get a raise (one after 10 years, another 3 years). Only select few get a raise.
    Management : Some good some bad.. Buddy system and lack of training. My mgr was new and was terrible at listening, never took his team's side, and totally missed the boat ... when I was changed to another manager, he was great. The company also is not ran like a typical corporation. They have no support, no administrative support -- managers have a lot on them. Some try to help you and support you, but it's not good overall.
    Training: Tthere is no central training or person -- and just poorl training all around. I was trained by another new employee who had been there 2 weeks! When I moved to a new area -- I had to lean on my co-workers to learn my new job. They were busy and didn't really have the time, but that is just the way it's done there. This goes for management as well. Really lacking!
    Commission Structure: They changed it ... If you meet your quota (which is all relative to your mgr and accounts - not really based on how hard you work).... by quarters. If you meet it and get paid the first month, and again in the second month - but fail to meet it at end of qtr (3rd month) -- you have to pay it all back to the company. Yikes! A veteran employee ended up having to do this -- and he said in all the years he had been there they had never had it set up this way.
    HR: Lack of HR presence --- do not support or push advancement. No jobs are posted internally, and moved up if you know the right person. Closely involved with upper mgr, managers --- not so not going to be on your side.

Pay your people. You have hired good, talented people -- really this is the one shining spot about Arrow -- but you don't pay them... and keep wanting them to do more and take more away. Restructure -- corporate policies and central training/person at each location. Focus on solutions versus blaming .... and when an issue arises internally in the office -- managers should not assume but welcome all sides to the table to discuss and resolve.

Fortune 150 does not indicate they are the best

I worked at Arrow Electronics full-time

Pros

Good brand name, great pay, overall corporation consistently profitable, and understands its core business.

Cons

Outside the core business it struggles with acquisitions and following a playbook through the mergers. Some of the purchased divisions are losing critical management talent while the business struggles to get on its feet. In 3 years time I saw massive turnover of staff within the divisions and the top management. At the parent level, it is impossible to get the simplest administrative task performed. Tons of red tape.

Stop wasting your time thinking all the problems are with the systems. Most of the problems are caused from poor operational management. Figure out how to buy and merge small businesses successfully -- otherwise, stick to your core business.

Arrow Review

I have been working at Arrow Electronics full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good support for selling with aggressive support from credit group which is unusual for a broad base distribution company.

Cons

Lip service only wrt caring about people that work for the company. Extremely poor job in embraced acquired companies.

Listen to the experts who are closer to the problem. Only reason there has been growth is due to inertia. You are missing opportunities.

Intern

Current Employee - Intern
    Current Employee - Intern

I have been working at Arrow Electronics as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

This place makes you feel at home. They really do have a family like atmosphere.

Cons

There are not many cons working at Arrow Electronics. Maybe that there are so many smaller companies within Arrow which makes it confusing to understand at first.

Great experience into Corporate America coming out of college

Current Employee - Human Resources Systems Analyst in Melville, NY
    Current Employee - Human Resources Systems Analyst in Melville, NY

I have been working at Arrow Electronics full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Process oriented, well organized company, providing career growth opportunities. Everyone I worked with has been friendly and collaborative, not too much politics involved. If you have the ambition to press forward and take on more projects even if they fall out of your JD, more power to you!

Cons

Depending on the team, hours can get crazy, work-life balance isnt exactly ideal. Again, there are certain teams that work very well together and the workload is spread. Within certain departments, there are cycles when weekends may need to be sacrificed in order for operations to continue steadily.

Make sure to align well with senior leadership

Very satisfactory job with constant movement within ones daily duties.

Current Employee - Product Manager in Englewood, CO
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Englewood, CO

I have been working at Arrow Electronics full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Wonderful work life balance. Managers are friendly and overall easy to work with. Atmosphere at work is comfortable and generally stress-free.

Cons

Very little movement up the corporate ladder. Unless you transfer departments you will most likely stay within $2k to $5k of your current salary range.

Create more opportunities for communication between the sales teams and the corporate product managers.

Arrow Electronics summer internship program offers challenges and invaluable experience.

Current Employee - Social Media Intern in Englewood, CO
    Current Employee - Social Media Intern in Englewood, CO

I have been working at Arrow Electronics as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

I benefitted most from the networking opportunities and hands-on experience I received. The people at Arrow are some of the nicest I've ever met and they genuinely care for one another. The internship program is very structured but still allows you to exercise freedom in your work. I got especially lucky with the team I worked with, which I think is what really made this internship such a good experience. Definitely a great place to intern!

Cons

The required intern group projects were pretty time consuming and got in the way of every day work. We were all happy to present our projects and be done with them. Communication within the company also seems to be somewhat lacking, but they are such a large company that this is to be expected.