Art Institute of Chicago

Updated November 17, 2014
Updated November 17, 2014
4.2

Douglas Druick

Easily the best employer I've had

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Art Institute of Chicago full-time

Pros

Asides from being a dream employer (if you're education and professional experience is in the arts), AIC is an amazing place to work. Staff is supportive, creative, flexible, and willing to try new things. Gone is the office place drama associated with working for a faceless corporation.

Some of their perks/benefits are posted on their main website. They include: admission to just about every museum in the city (plus other attractions) for FREE with guests, benefits similar to 'member benefits for the AIC, generous retirement savings plans, a full month (30 days) of PTO for new employees that you can use right away (yes, a full month!). Discounts galore with companies throughout the city and with wireless carriers, pre-tax transit plans, being able to walk the galleries during lunch breaks (you can't do that in your corporate cafeteria, can you?) A warm and welcoming work environment with co-workers to match, and a company you actually want to come to work for every day vs. dreading it.

Even if you're speciality isn't in the arts, there is so much more to AIC than just being a museum and school. Check out their open positions and apply, it's definitely worth considering if you're looking for a career field change.

Cons

Hard to say. Since it is a non-profit, their salaries generally are slightly lower than the same job in the for-profit world. But benefits, work environment and morale make up for that in my opinion.

If you're not used to working on MACs you may have a hard time as for the most part, everyone uses MACs and there is very little PC support. Which again, I would consider a good thing.

For some items there is little in terms of planning. The attitude of 'we have to do this because we've always done this' can be present with a few groups. Though each day we're working towards a stronger strategy in all aspects of our work.

Keep up the great work. The AIC is an amazing place to work with great benefits, awesome coworkers and more. So long as those all stay in place, quality of work will continue to be top-notch.

A supportive, challenging and many times a chaotic environment

I have been working at Art Institute of Chicago

Pros

Have been given many opportunities to push myself and learn to work with many different personalities.

Cons

Casual but very productive work atmosphere.

Say thank you just a little bit more

Creative, nice enviroment

Current Employee - Graphic Designer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Graphic Designer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Art Institute of Chicago as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

This review is for the Media production Bureau of the School of the Art Institute. Out clients are internal and varied. Not a fast paced environment allows for personal projects and experimentation. There are many opportunities to learn new tools and technologies. Is a good place to work if one is looking for interesting projects to work on, but no for get a high salary

Cons

Since the institutional nature of this place, a lot of red tape needs to be dealt with in order to get new projects approval and/or support. There are many department that don't always communicate well with each other. This can cause delays and double efforts. New full time positions are rarely available,

Loved it

Current Employee - Guest Services in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Guest Services in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Art Institute of Chicago full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Met many interesting people. Beautiful working conditions. Very supportive and kind supervisors

Cons

None. It was one of the most enjoyable jobs I ever had.

Graduate Student Assistant

Former Employee - Graduate Student Assistant in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Graduate Student Assistant in Chicago, IL

I worked at Art Institute of Chicago part-time (less than an year)

Pros

If you are in school at SAIC, this is a great way to work in close proximity to classes, faculty, and resources. Also, AIC is an incredible place to have at your fingertips.

Cons

The high level of bureaucracy at a large institution like this one makes it difficult to make changes in practice or policy, even when obviously necessary. There is a lot of pushing paper that sometimes seems needless.

Very dynamic institution

Current Employee - Professor in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Professor in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Art Institute of Chicago full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The School side of the Art Institute is a very mobile, dynamic, unpredictable institution that likes to be off the charts. It is one of the world's leading institutions of its type.

Cons

Benefits are excellent in comparison to other institution of its type. In the School part time faculty can obtain health insurance. Promotions are usually handled very carefully although there have been exceptions and departments have too much control over the process, that is, not enough oversight from the administration.

The administration in the School has been minimal. It was originally all faculty (artists) and that made it very disorganized and inefficient. That is changing rapidly and there is now professiornal administration staff. However in my opinion the institution should be careful not to expand too much in that way. The dynamic nature of the institution depends on being artist-run as much as possible.

Professional and Friendly

Current Employee - Assistant Teacher in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Assistant Teacher in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Art Institute of Chicago as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

- Professional environment
    - Endless resources and large museum
    - Great teachers and Classes

Cons

I did not find anything unpleasant working here.

Great experience working with a small group of students.

Current Employee - Adjunct Faculty in Troy, MI
    Current Employee - Adjunct Faculty in Troy, MI

Pros

Professional growth and friendly environment.

Cons

The institution is still growing, so there are some transitional challenges sometimes.

Establish a mentoring network.

Great team to work with

I have been working at Art Institute of Chicago

Pros

Great experience to start a career in museum setting.

Cons

The schedule for installation is so tight, as the museum never close to the public.

Office Assistant at SAIC Residence Life Office

Former Employee - Office Assistant in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Office Assistant in Chicago, IL

I worked at Art Institute of Chicago part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I was able to work here while being a student at the school. Great communication between departments, supportive of student schedules, working with creative people, and all around fun to be part of the office environment. Some days there was not a lot of activity, so I was able to get homework accomplished while on the job.

Cons

Not too many cons, although some days there was not much to do. Like I stated, I was able to work on homework during these times, but I have heard others complain of boredom.

Art Institute of Chicago Photos