Art Institute of Chicago Reviews

1 Rating

Professional and Friendly

Current Employee - Assistant Teacher  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Assistant Teacher in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Art Institute of Chicago as an intern for less than a year

Pros

- Professional environment
    - Endless resources and large museum
    - Great teachers and Classes

Cons

I did not find anything unpleasant working here.

Great team to work with

I have been working at Art Institute of Chicago

Pros

Great experience to start a career in museum setting.

Cons

The schedule for installation is so tight, as the museum never close to the public.

You might not believe me, but I cannot imagine a better gig.

Current Employee - Faculty  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Faculty in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Art Institute of Chicago as a contractor for more than 5 years

Pros

Freedom in the classroom, support in and out of the classroom, funding for conference travel as well as specialized software, tremendous respect, and just pay. Also, association with an insitute consistently ranked among the top of its kind, phenomenal colleagues, an exhuberant and open-minded student body, and a really cool city to call home.

Cons

Precarity, perhaps. I find this freeing, but others may not feel as I do. SAIC hires masses of contigent faculty, especially in the liberal arts department, with very few tenure lines. You will want to be comfortable signing an annual contract repeatedly if you are to find peace and happiness in this position.

The SAIC Admin is stellar. I cannot fathom better human beings, more sincerely committed to transforming education in ways that are ethical and focused foremost on student well-being and achievement (in the present as well as in the future). If I live 1000 years, I hope to spend the 965 I have left as a part of this community, working alongside of this administration. And if we (the US) ever figure out what it takes to create an educated democracy, I do not doubt that SAIC will have played a key role in that "figuring out" process.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Inspiring and Challenging in the Best Way

Former Employee - Coordinator, Office of Student Affairs  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Coordinator, Office of Student Affairs in Chicago, IL

I worked at Art Institute of Chicago full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The people are amazing, and that is invaluable. The students, the staff and the faculty are working together to revolutionize the art world one student at a time. The vacation and health insurance are top notch. HMO health insurance is through Cigna, and is the best coverage I've ever had.

Cons

Salary was the kicker for me. Staff at this school are really suffering, and ultimately I had to make a choice to pay my rent. I hated leaving, and hated that it came to this. I would go back in a heartbeat if it was a salary that met my needs.

Supportive, creative, flexible

I have been working at Art Institute of Chicago

Pros

Shared creativity, range of activity, access to creative resources. Stimulating educational environment. Supportive community for career as well as artistic pursuits.

Cons

Lack of part time positions and/or ability to work four ten hour shifts. One of the benefits of working at the school is the ability to take one or two classes for free each semester. Without a flexible schedule the classes available are limited.

As most employees are also artists, support 4/10 schedules for staff that would like to attend studio classes.

SAIC is excellent.

Former Employee - Student  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Student in Chicago, IL

I worked at Art Institute of Chicago as an intern for more than a year

Pros

Great professors. Great environment. Some great students.

Cons

Small campus. Accepts a lot of unqualified students.

Be more selective. Elevate the student body to the quality of the faculty.

working hard for art and design

Current Employee - Instructor  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Instructor in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Art Institute of Chicago part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great place if you are a self motivated creative type, if you are not you get set aside quickly. Best place to work in the midwest if you are an artist.

Cons

The "lefty" politics get in the way and are applied upon each other brutally.

Upper management is trying to make the right decisions, and they do most of the time, it seams as though they have a hard job.

Very dynamic institution

Current Employee - Professor  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Professor in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Art Institute of Chicago full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The School side of the Art Institute is a very mobile, dynamic, unpredictable institution that likes to be off the charts. It is one of the world's leading institutions of its type.

Cons

Benefits are excellent in comparison to other institution of its type. In the School part time faculty can obtain health insurance. Promotions are usually handled very carefully although there have been exceptions and departments have too much control over the process, that is, not enough oversight from the administration.

The administration in the School has been minimal. It was originally all faculty (artists) and that made it very disorganized and inefficient. That is changing rapidly and there is now professiornal administration staff. However in my opinion the institution should be careful not to expand too much in that way. The dynamic nature of the institution depends on being artist-run as much as possible.

Great experience working with a small group of students.

Current Employee - Adjunct Faculty  in  Troy, MI
    Current Employee - Adjunct Faculty in Troy, MI

I have been working at Art Institute of Chicago as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Professional growth and friendly environment.

Cons

The institution is still growing, so there are some transitional challenges sometimes.

Establish a mentoring network.

Office Assistant at SAIC Residence Life Office

Former Employee - Office Assistant  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Office Assistant in Chicago, IL

I worked at Art Institute of Chicago part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I was able to work here while being a student at the school. Great communication between departments, supportive of student schedules, working with creative people, and all around fun to be part of the office environment. Some days there was not a lot of activity, so I was able to get homework accomplished while on the job.

Cons

Not too many cons, although some days there was not much to do. Like I stated, I was able to work on homework during these times, but I have heard others complain of boredom.

Worked for Art Institute of Chicago? Contribute to the Community!