Art Institute of Chicago

Updated September 12, 2014
4.2

Douglas Druick
1 Rating

love the students, hate the admin

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Art Institute of Chicago full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Students are great. Some of the best and most talented in the country.

Cons

Administration is a nightmare, especially the admissions department. Constant bickering between departments and no coordination with the museum of the same name. Wasteful spending of students already outrageous tuition. Out of touch with reality of art. Only care about $$$.

End the silos and departmentalization, lower tuition.

repotism rules, might makes right...Old boys network persists...

Former Employee - Professor  in  North Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Professor in North Chicago, IL

I worked at Art Institute of Chicago full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

where are your connections? Does your spouse need a job? We'll give slide your spouse into a partime position if you take on a tenure track....

Cons

Your secrets are safe with us. Transparency is a myth.

Look at your legacy. Consider your karma. Find your humanity. Look within.

A nightmare

Former Employee - Adjunct Assistant Professor  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Adjunct Assistant Professor in Chicago, IL

I worked at Art Institute of Chicago

Pros

Exciting place to be and work because of the museum.

Cons

Administration needs an overhaul -- male dominated: bullies and tough guys...age of darkness paradigm as a necessity for personal advancement among administrators...this place ruins lives. no compassion. Work there at your peril. If you are an instructor or an adjunct you are in deep trouble and your days will be numbered.

Find your heart, soul, humility and compassion. Get off your high horse. Look at the websites and jaundiced links of your staff.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

They never tell you prior to taking the job that you will automatically be the Director of SFS but without the pay

Former Employee - Associate Director of SFS
    Former Employee - Associate Director of SFS

I worked at Art Institute of Chicago

Pros

They provide lots of food but also expect you to work long hours

Cons

only focused on enrollments and very little employee appreciation

no comment

Graduate Student Assistant

Former Employee - Graduate Student Assistant  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Graduate Student Assistant in Chicago, IL

I worked at Art Institute of Chicago part-time for less than a year

Pros

If you are in school at SAIC, this is a great way to work in close proximity to classes, faculty, and resources. Also, AIC is an incredible place to have at your fingertips.

Cons

The high level of bureaucracy at a large institution like this one makes it difficult to make changes in practice or policy, even when obviously necessary. There is a lot of pushing paper that sometimes seems needless.

Good hours but slow and boring

Former Employee - Summer Intern  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Summer Intern in Chicago, IL

I worked at Art Institute of Chicago as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Very good hours and work life balance. Everyone in the office was very personal and open to getting along. The wage was very reasonable as well.

Cons

The office was very slow moving at time and I found myself getting very bored at times. The projects also weren't the best that said I was working there during the summer which is their slow season.

Two words... Pinball machine.

Very dynamic institution

Current Employee - Professor  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Professor in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Art Institute of Chicago full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The School side of the Art Institute is a very mobile, dynamic, unpredictable institution that likes to be off the charts. It is one of the world's leading institutions of its type.

Cons

Benefits are excellent in comparison to other institution of its type. In the School part time faculty can obtain health insurance. Promotions are usually handled very carefully although there have been exceptions and departments have too much control over the process, that is, not enough oversight from the administration.

The administration in the School has been minimal. It was originally all faculty (artists) and that made it very disorganized and inefficient. That is changing rapidly and there is now professiornal administration staff. However in my opinion the institution should be careful not to expand too much in that way. The dynamic nature of the institution depends on being artist-run as much as possible.

Great experience working with a small group of students.

Current Employee - Adjunct Faculty  in  Troy, MI
    Current Employee - Adjunct Faculty in Troy, MI

I have been working at Art Institute of Chicago as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Professional growth and friendly environment.

Cons

The institution is still growing, so there are some transitional challenges sometimes.

Establish a mentoring network.

Office Assistant at SAIC Residence Life Office

Former Employee - Office Assistant  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Office Assistant in Chicago, IL

I worked at Art Institute of Chicago part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I was able to work here while being a student at the school. Great communication between departments, supportive of student schedules, working with creative people, and all around fun to be part of the office environment. Some days there was not a lot of activity, so I was able to get homework accomplished while on the job.

Cons

Not too many cons, although some days there was not much to do. Like I stated, I was able to work on homework during these times, but I have heard others complain of boredom.

Overall a nice, comfortable and at times fun place to work. Great staff.

Current Employee - IT Specialist  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - IT Specialist in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Art Institute of Chicago full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Prestigious, world-famous. Staff are all very professional, and the curators are world class. Get to see exhibits 'behind the scenes' and is an amazing experience if an art lover. Really cool history to be part of, one can't help but gather a sense of purpose. Awesome benefits, especially long vacation time off.

Cons

It is a non-profit, unless you are in upper-management, you aren't going to make great money. It's okay pay, but not great, and there generally isn't a lot of upper mobility. People generally stay where they are hired at, so not a great place for ambitious climbers, generally, unless someone retires, moves on or dies.

Sometimes forget to remember the little folk. Pay could be a bit better.

Worked for Art Institute of Chicago? Contribute to the Community!