Art Institute of Houston Reviews

2.4
CEO

1. Decent

Current Employee - Assistant Director of Admissions in Houston, TX

I have been working at Art Institute of Houston full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Friendly creative people, they made the job bearable. We had fun and accomplished goals. it's definitely not for those who get stressed easily.

Cons

Monotony, expectations were very high for pay at the time. It is very much a sales job and you have to be comfortable with that. The numbers are not a recommendation.

2. Good but not good.

Former Employee - Assistant Director of Admissions in Houston, TX

I worked at Art Institute of Houston full-time (more than a year)

Pros

You get to meet families and students, and you get to help them through their admissions process.
    Co-workers are awesome people and fun to work with.
    Pay is great.
    Benefits are really good, medical, dental and vision, and life insurance.

Cons

Micromanagament especially if you dont make your application goals.
    Hours are bad for people that have families.
    Needed to work some saturdays each month.
    Sales job in the end, can be frustrating when you cannot get the customers you need.

Maybe less micromanaging would help employers work more on their own and feel more confident in doing their job.

Great co-workers, but horrible job design for admissions.

Former Employee - Assistant Director of Admissions in Houston, TX

I worked at Art Institute of Houston full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great co-workers and free food whenever breakfast/lunch was catered.

Cons

Job design. They say it is not a "sales" job, but you are required to start a certain number of students per quarter, regardless if they were a good fit for the school or not. The last year I was there, they said they couldn't give any raises for the following year due to financial cuts, etc. Low employee morale.

Do not work here.

Former Employee - Assistant Director of Admissions in Houston, TX

I worked at Art Institute of Houston full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Besides a decent salary, there are no pros.

Cons

You are only as good as your last week of production. Management creates a facade that they care about you in the beginning, but that's just to get you to work harder. You will be fired in a heartbeat if you are not producing every single week. The schedule is not good if you have a family and only got worse over the year I worked there, as the number of saturdays we were required to work each month increased. You are pressured to enroll students in to programs they clearly cannot afford, with an unclear return on their investment. I was a very good Assistant Director of Admissions that was consistently ranked in the top 10, but it is not worth it. The job is a dead end.

If I gave advice it would be disregarded by management, so why give it?

6. OK place for teaching part-time

Current Contractor - Adjunct Instructor in Houston, TX
    Current Contractor - Adjunct Instructor in Houston, TX

I have been working at Art Institute of Houston as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

I enjoy quite a bit of freedom as to how I teach and grade. Students are motivated but often under prepared. Facilities are new and colleagues are friendly. School goes by quarter system so I get to refine the syllabus every 12 weeks. There is free parking and can contribute to 401K.

Cons

Like any adjunct teaching, there is not enough money if you rely only on this income. They can cut class any time. There is no office for instructors, just cubicles, which most part-time instructors don't even bother to visit. It's quite hard to feel like you are part of the team when you just go and teach your classes and leave.

7. Good pay, but stressful environment

Current Employee - Assistant Director of Admissions in Houston, TX

I have been working at Art Institute of Houston full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Coworkers are fun and the pay is good.

Cons

It's a sales job, but the clients are mostly people who can't afford a $50 application fee and we are selling a 90k education...

Micromanaging doesn't make for a good working environment

Awful, all lies, sales job!

Former Employee - Assistant Director of Admissions in Houston, TX

I worked at Art Institute of Houston full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The people that work there and the paycheck.

Cons

Not what they make it seem like during the interview process, once you are hired then you find out how awful of a place it really is. Sitting in a cube for a period of 8 hours or more calling off canceled lists, inquiries from years dating all the way back to 2000. Managers are awful and disrespect you. They hover over you and try to intimidate you by watching your every move. They will listen in on your phone calls to make sure you are being robotic when trying to convince and coerce a student to come in. Then they make you manipulate a student by telling them that they're getting this amazing education when in fact it is a six figure degree you might as well go to a REAL university. A lot of manipulation and conning I don't know how these people and the Institute still exists. Awful place to work! Do not work here is the advice I would give any person looking for a job desperate or not.

Quit hovering over your employees they are all doing their jobs, word to the wise, manipulation and conning will come back to you. Being disrespectful to your employees and talking down to them as if they are children, is the main reason why your turnover is so high.

RUN!!! You WILL regret it!!!

Current Employee - Assistant Director of Admissions in Houston, TX

I have been working at Art Institute of Houston full-time (less than a year)

Pros

They pay is good, but you're going to work for it! PTO is almost impossible to use because of so many blackout dates. The school is year round, so every weekend there is some "made up event" to get students to enroll happening.

Cons

Where do I begin??? When I first received the news that I had gotten the job at Ai, I was so excited. I thought that I would be helping students accomplish their dreams. This is not the case! Students are numbers here. Every day I am required to call 100 people/prospective students to sell them the “Ai education.” The education here is literally, six figures! This is for ONE degree! ...The hours are long and you'll work most weekends (6 days a week). There is no overtime as the company is on a very strict budget; I can see layoffs coming in the future. If you are married with children or if you have a life in general, this is NOT the place for you.
     Perhaps the most difficult part of this job is that I have been deceived. I was NEVER told that this was a SALES JOB. I wanted this job because I thought the company had a prestigious reputation for helping students achieve artistic careers but, this is not the case. As one of the other reviews mentioned, I know that you may be desperate for a job (especially in this economy) but keep looking. You'll regret, I promise, I do. Every day I have to pray to walk through those doors just to make sure that I can pay my bills and etc. I've never experienced anything like this, I feel like I'm being tortured. I don't trust ANYONE here, mainly the management team. I can't see how they sleep at night.
    RUN!!

You need to inform others that this is a SALES JOB!

10. It's not horrible

Current Employee - Assistant Director of Admissions in Houston, TX

I have been working at Art Institute of Houston full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great co-workers, creative atmosphere, meeting new people all the time with great stories and talent

Cons

No pay for performance. In the end it becomes more work with the same pay.

Value the people that help build value in the school. Hard work and going beyond the limits should be rewarded with more than recognition. It takes more than that to keep good people.

11. Enjoy time with my students, struggle with the profit-first mentality of corporate management.

Current Employee - Instructor Design in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Instructor Design in Houston, TX

I have been working at Art Institute of Houston full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Most students willing to advance. Good place to start in academia or moonlight.

Cons

For-profit institution. More concerned about the bottom line rather than the academic advancement of students.

Compete to be one of the best academic and art schools in the nation, then the money and fame will follow.

Art Institute of Houston Photos