Art Institute of Houston
www.aii.edu Houston, TX 150 to 499 Employees

Art Institute of Houston Reviews

Updated Jan 30, 2014
Art Institute of Houston – Houston – “4140 SW Freeway”

This is a great place to work. They treat their staff and faculty well and their students even better.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Art Institute of Houston full-time

ProsThe working environment was positive and uplifting. Free covered parking and other employee perks.

ConsThere really wasn't any cons about work at The Art Institute.

Do not work here.

Assistant Director of Admissions (Former Employee)

I worked at Art Institute of Houston full-time for more than a year

ProsBesides a decent salary, there are no pros.

ConsYou are only as good as your last week of production. Management creates a facade that they care about you in the beginning, but that's just to get you to work harder. You will be fired in a heartbeat if you are not producing every single week. The schedule is not good if you have a family and only got worse over the year I worked there, as the number of saturdays we were required to work each month increased. You are pressured to enroll students in to programs they clearly cannot afford, with an unclear return on their investment. I was a very good Assistant Director of Admissions that was consistently ranked in the top 10, but it is not worth it. The job is a dead end.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf I gave advice it would be disregarded by management, so why give it?

Recent Graduate

I have been working at Art Institute of Houston

ProsThe instructors I had were VERY informative and knowledgeable! the courses where designed for the student to set their own pace and if they chose to excel or not!

ConsThe lose of the liquor license I think had a real impact on the future students that are to attend. It's like they almost cut off our nose to spit our face!

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the students no matter how small or large the grievance.

Beware

I have been working at Art Institute of Houston full-time for more than 8 years

ProsStaff and faculty are some of the smartest people anywhere

ConsManagement cannot be trusted and neither can HR

Advice to Senior ManagementStop lying

OK place for teaching part-time

Adjunct Instructor (Current Employee)
Houston, TX

I have been working at Art Institute of Houston as a contractor for more than a year

ProsI enjoy quite a bit of freedom as to how I teach and grade. Students are motivated but often under prepared. Facilities are new and colleagues are friendly. School goes by quarter system so I get to refine the syllabus every 12 weeks. There is free parking and can contribute to 401K.

ConsLike any adjunct teaching, there is not enough money if you rely only on this income. They can cut class any time. There is no office for instructors, just cubicles, which most part-time instructors don't even bother to visit. It's quite hard to feel like you are part of the team when you just go and teach your classes and leave.

Putting kids in debt for 100k

ADA (Current Employee)
Nashville, TN

I have been working at Art Institute of Houston full-time for more than a year

Proslaid back atsmosphere. Pay is pretty good. Get paid holidays and sixteendays of personal time which is good. Good Benefits

ConsPressured into starting students that aren't good canadites. Endless cylce of putting more kids into debt. Finaancial Aid only covers the tip of the iceburg if they can even qualify for grants. Then have to make payments to the shcool plus student loans.

Advice to Senior ManagementLower the price of Admissions.

The problems begin at the top and work their way down to the students

I have been working at Art Institute of Houston full-time

ProsFlexible work schedule and the freedom to teach however you would like to teach. You are required to cover certain course competencies but how you do this is generally all up to you. Some of the students are passionate about their chosen field of study.

ConsAdmissions will let anyone in, and Upper Management's lack of focus on quality education and lack of faculty support drag the overall experience of the faculty and the students down. The low salary range limits the quality of teachers and support people.

Good pay, but stressful environment

Assistant Director of Admissions (Current Employee)

I have been working at Art Institute of Houston full-time for less than a year

ProsCoworkers are fun and the pay is good.

ConsIt's a sales job, but the clients are mostly people who can't afford a $50 application fee and we are selling a 90k education...

Advice to Senior ManagementMicromanaging doesn't make for a good working environment

Awful, all lies, sales job!

Assistant Director of Admissions (Former Employee)

I worked at Art Institute of Houston full-time for less than a year

ProsThe people that work there and the paycheck.

ConsNot what they make it seem like during the interview process, once you are hired then you find out how awful of a place it really is. Sitting in a cube for a period of 8 hours or more calling off canceled lists, inquiries from years dating all the way back to 2000. Managers are awful and disrespect you. They hover over you and try to intimidate you by watching your every move. They will listen in on your phone calls to make sure you are being robotic when trying to convince and coerce a student to come in. Then they make you manipulate a student by telling them that they're getting this amazing education when in fact it is a six figure degree you might as well go to a REAL university. A lot of manipulation and conning I don't know how these people and the Institute still exists. Awful place to work! Do not work here is the advice I would give any person looking for a job desperate or not.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit hovering over your employees they are all doing their jobs, word to the wise, manipulation and conning will come back to you. Being disrespectful to your employees and talking down to them as if they are children, is the main reason why your turnover is so high.

RUN!!! You WILL regret it!!!

Assistant Director of Admissions (Current Employee)

I have been working at Art Institute of Houston full-time for less than a year

ProsThey pay is good, but you're going to work for it! PTO is almost impossible to use because of so many blackout dates. The school is year round, so every weekend there is some "made up event" to get students to enroll happening.

ConsWhere do I begin??? When I first received the news that I had gotten the job at Ai, I was so excited. I thought that I would be helping students accomplish their dreams. This is not the case! Students are numbers here. Every day I am required to call 100 people/prospective students to sell them the “Ai education.” The education here is literally, six figures! This is for ONE degree! ...The hours are long and you'll work most weekends (6 days a week). There is no overtime as the company is on a very strict budget; I can see layoffs coming in the future. If you are married with children or if you have a life in general, this is NOT the place for you.
 Perhaps the most difficult part of this job is that I have been deceived. I was NEVER told that this was a SALES JOB. I wanted this job because I thought the company had a prestigious reputation for helping students achieve artistic careers but, this is not the case. As one of the other reviews mentioned, I know that you may be desperate for a job (especially in this economy) but keep looking. You'll regret, I promise, I do. Every day I have to pray to walk through those doors just to make sure that I can pay my bills and etc. I've never experienced anything like this, I feel like I'm being tortured. I don't trust ANYONE here, mainly the management team. I can't see how they sleep at night.
RUN!!

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to inform others that this is a SALES JOB!

Worked for Art Institute of Houston? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Art Institute of Houston reviews and ratings. All 18 reviews posted anonymously by Art Institute of Houston employees.