Art Institute of Washington

CEO

Adjunct Professor at Dulles Campus

Former Employee - Adjunct Professor in Dulles, VA
    Former Employee - Adjunct Professor in Dulles, VA

I worked at Art Institute of Washington part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

All of the professor were very professional and cared about their students. The advisers are great and really try to work with your schedule when giving you classes to teach. Small class size (max 25 students).

Cons

Very low enrollment so classes I had planned/prepared to teach were cancelled one week before class started. Because most professors are adjuncts you really don't interact with them. There are not very many groups/organizations for students.

Need more emails/noticed about what the school has to offer so professors can tell their students. Wish there was more interaction between other Art Institutes.

Reeled in by Job Security, Work-Life Balance, and Opportunity for Growth... NOT POSSIBLE!!!

Former Employee - Assistant Director of Admissions in Arlington, VA

I worked at Art Institute of Washington full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Compensation. Learning how to train yourself and run your own "business". Working with the interesting students. Meeting great colleagues.

Cons

Toxic Work Environment due to management, Very Numbers Driven, Employee Retention is very low. Students are just a number. If you don't reach your goals, you're out of a job. No opportunity for growth within the same location. POOR WORK LIFE BALANCE.

Listen to your employees, Recognize the employees that have been with the company for more than a year. The least you can do is provide free coffee for the amount of pressure you put on your employees.

Employees are treated fairly.

Former Employee - Assistant Director of Admissions in Arlington, VA

I worked at Art Institute of Washington (less than an year)

Pros

Excellent pay and benefits. Flexible hours.

Cons

Different like the group interview. No room for growth.

Be fair to employees.

Great starter job

I have been working at Art Institute of Washington

Pros

Competitive salary, professional environment, nice facilities.

Cons

High turnover, no job security, benefits package.

In a no commission sales environment, employees really need to be supported by their leaders if you want them to stay motivated. Support means being helpful, assertive, and showing appreciation. Not dismissive, disrespectful and ungrateful.

Lack of resources for both students and staff for expensive prices

Current Employee - Assistant Director of Admissions in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Assistant Director of Admissions in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Art Institute of Washington full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There is flexibility but you will find yourself working alot. even on holidays and weekends.

Cons

training, goals, resources, attitudes of staff. and the health insurance plan is not the best plus you have to pay high prices to park at work.

"What have you don for me lately" I have heard managers actually say that. Turn over is extremely high.

AWESOME!!!!!!!

Former Employee - Receptionist Office Work in Frederick, MD
    Former Employee - Receptionist Office Work in Frederick, MD

I worked at Art Institute of Washington full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I never took my job for granted!!! It was such a fun and creative atmosphere. I met both new and current students and staff. There was always someone, who needed SOMETHING from our office. I loved my co-workers and honestly, I regret constantly that I had to leave there..

Cons

No down time!!! We were always busy, but more so during registration periods. This job can and did get very overwhelming to the wrong person.

All of my supervisors and management were truly awesome and always helpful.

Good training but hard core pressure...

Current Employee - Recruiter in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Arlington, VA

Pros

There was flexibility with time off but if you are not hitting quota it was very frowned upon to ever take a day off. If you did hit it you would take days off but only to find out you were now behind and had to catch up.

Cons

There was way to many clicks, to much pressure to produce and not much trainign. I feel they need to relax on the quota and focus omore on the students and what they need.

None.

Lack of communication

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Art Institute of Washington full-time

Pros

The love of teaching goes a long way to remaining positive for many.

Cons

Increased expectations without raises comparable to cost of living, lack of communication, pressures from the economy, state of higher education, and the government.

Communicate goals clearly and seek buy-in from the ground up rather than all top-down. The lack of communication creates a culture of distrust that is noticed by the consumers.

Too big to fail for-profit education that keeps stockholders happy with earnings and grad success samples.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at Art Institute of Washington full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Hard working colleagues are many and interfacing with students is exhilarating and endless.

Cons

Compensation matches industry standards, but professional development and human capital management is non existent. Annual layoffs is business as usual. Tenured associates not likely to warm up to replacements

Keep doing what works cause respect is coming.

run away

Former Employee - Assistant Director of Admissions in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Assistant Director of Admissions in Washington, DC

I worked at Art Institute of Washington full-time (less than an year)

Pros

none, literally, there is nothing positive to say about this place, unless you like vindictive managers and scamming people of low economic status' out of money

Cons

Scam, no ethics, no respect for students or their welfare, on top of that, it's falling apart, mail stacked to the ceiling, out of date computers that break down constantly, you literally have to bring your own pens and paper because it isn't provided