Art Van Furniture

Be The First To
Add Photos

Kim Yost

Major nervous train wreck

Sales Consultant (Former Employee)
Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at Art Van Furniture full-time for more than a year

ProsFlexible Schedule. Friendly staff, fun atmosphere, tons of down time while waiting for the guest to come in, some supportive management

ConsYou really don't get paid unless you work 7 days a week. You do receive a weekly "draw" which is owe back to the company. The don't give new people a chance to make it, they start them off in a slow month like June and expect them to pull their weight like they been in the company 20 years. I witness this at GD Rapids, Management takes commissioned sales off the floor to serve pizza, and they told one sales to take his name off the book for 1 hour.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet over yourselves, treat your commissioned sales with respect, they are working for free most of the time. Change the "up" system back. Do away the Pure Sleep dedicated stores. IT"S not working. Give the underdog a chance to make it.

This place is a JOKE

Novi, MI

I have been working at Art Van Furniture full-time for less than a year

ProsNone, bunch of lying thieves to put it mildly

ConsWill screw you on promised commissions , must play their games , manageent will lie to you , to your face , trashy furniture , run away even if customer go to Costco and much better prices on beds and couchesy

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a life

I've inherited friends for life

Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at Art Van Furniture full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat Atmosphere,Great Pay Scale,Great Deals and Events

ConsEarly Morning and Late Night sales that don't work or they attract people who just want something for free;like a gift or food

Your average working experience.

Porter (Former Employee)
Saginaw, MI

I worked at Art Van Furniture part-time for more than a year

ProsFlexible scheduling, good benefits, and friendly coworkers.

ConsNo pay raises, no useful information learned. No room for growth in the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe nice to porters

From "Changing The Game" To "You Have No Name".

I have been working at Art Van Furniture

Pros-Solid company that has stability in the market
-Good benefits and vacation time
-Yearly uniform allotment
-A mostly safe and clean working environment

Cons-Wage increases are far behind inflation rates
-Extremely poor communication from upper management
-Poor communication between the store and the warehouse
-Long and random hours equals little concern for employee's home life
-Many departments are understaffed and over worked

Advice to Senior ManagementArt Van Furniture was once a company that had a "family" type atmosphere and was very satisfying to work for. When that atmosphere started to vanish, it appeared the company attempted to reach out with the "Changing The Game" program. Unfortunately that was dropped like a bad habit once it was milked for what the company needed, and now we are in a time where employment feels like a "do what we say or you will be fired" job.

There is no doubt that in the struggling economy that some sacrifices must be made to maintain stability and market share, but it feels like most of those cutbacks are done at the lower employee level which is the backbone of the business. I can see that employee satisfaction is at an all time low and a key to remedy that is not to crack down with an iron fist but to have MUCH better communication from senior and upper management with an understanding for personal employee needs. That costs Art Van almost nothing but a minimal amount of effort and time.

Great if your a Sales Associate

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Art Van Furniture

ProsUnlimited income potential (sales associates only), really great people many of whom have been with the company for 10+ years, family owned business, Mr. Van is an inspiration, many opportunities when you are "in" , life-long learners can blossom here from all the education and resources made available to the staff.

ConsThe pay is about 10% below market for most positions. The company is completely understaffed with a "do more with less" approach, very little diversity in upper management. Work environment is a little shabby to be a furniture store, no bonuses or rewards and recognition for hard workers that are non sales people.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize the people who work hard to make the "magic" happen at Art Van in areas other than Sales. Retain your winners by focusing on making the company strong at all levels. If you want to keep younger generations, 1 week of vacation is not enough. Pay your people a fair wage.

Can see that Art Van has potential to be a good place to build a career.

Web Designer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Art Van Furniture

ProsBenefits, discounts, friendly people, appears to be financially secure

ConsConfusion amongst senior management, long hours, high-maintenance with confusing direction

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a plan together.

positive

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
Shelby Township, MI

ProsSolid company
Great people
Great merchandise
Great training
Great managers
Leader in industry
Lots of advertising and promotions that do bring in customers
Good business plan and lots of tools for salepeople to utlize for professional development and honing sales skills and product knowledge.
CEO is a mastermind -- if only he coul do everything I'm sure he wants to.
Company is a family business and sometimes families can be a little dysfunctional.

ConsLong weekends and evenings away from family
Cheezy advertising and too many sales that overtake television and radio to the point of annoyance. There is always a better sale around the corner and customers know it. Difficult to create urgency. Better be clever and collect names and numbers and follow up.
Terrible IT -- computers slow, crash often. Archaic database causes much frustration for guests and employees. Internal C2C system for tracking prospects and customers is not user-friendly therefore useless since no one uses it as intended.
Micromanagement is frustrating.
Lots of waste -- plastic bottles are never recyled at corporate or in store locations. Signage, tags and catalogs ordered in excess.
Top performers are shown favortism and management often turns a blind eye to actions that would get any other sales associate reprimanded.
Hours of operation change on whim to meet sales goals wothout consideration of employees desire to balance work and home.
Working retail is very tough if you have a spouse and children.
Hard to make money without working 6-7 days a week as many hours you can handle. This requires a lot of sacrifice to your personal life and your health. Expect problems with your legs, feet, back, hips, etc... Physically demanding job.

Advice to Senior Management-Invest in technology so we can better do our jobs. If the company embraced transaparency, empowered employees, purchased reliable computers with internet access, provided email addresses for all employees, etc.. productivity and sales would soar.
-Take pride in employee work spaces just as you do in the showroom floor.They are dismal.
Create flexible schedules and give employees more empowerment to make decisions and take accontability.
Keep the micromanagement to a minimum.

Run don't walk

Sales Consultant (Former Employee)
Detroit, MI

I worked at Art Van Furniture

ProsIF you can stick it out decent benefit package. Excellent training program.

ConsWhat upper management envisions the company to be and what it actually is once you get to the store couldn't be more misaligned. Very high pressure. Some incompetent management. Very long hours with crazy sales where hardly anyone comes in anyway. No team atmosphere, as a new employee other salespeople actually taunt you and watch for you to fail rather than help. Top producers find themselves coming in 6 or 7 days to keep their status. Different sales that you have to learn several times per week. Earning potential greatly distorted.

Advice to Senior ManagementSome of the store management needs serious revamping. When it is viewed as ok when new employees are treated poorly "thats just the way it is", there is no excuse for that. It starts at the top. I understand crazy sales to draw attention, but the hours are just ridiculous and if there were analysis of sales made during those hours, I doubt that it is worth putting your salespeople through it for meager $$$. Some stores may be having all of the fun but Art Van salespeople sure aren't. They are all very negative and appear to hate their jobs. Kim Yost has some fantastic vision, but it is not being executed on a store level that I can see. I talked to associates at 4 other stores that I knew, that went through the same training as I did and all of the experiences were similiar which lead me to believe that it wasn't only my store but problems within the whole infrastructure.

disatisfied

Sterling Heights, MI

I have been working at Art Van Furniture

ProsBenefits are the best reason to work there.

ConsThe company has the "do or else mentality".

Advice to Senior ManagementGet educated and learn management skills

Worked for Art Van Furniture? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Art Van Furniture reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Art Van Furniture CEO Kim Yost. All 45 reviews posted anonymously by Art Van Furniture employees.