Art Van Furniture

Updated October 16, 2014
Updated October 16, 2014
2.7

Kim Yost

Pros
  • Dental, Medical and Vision are good benefits (in 5 reviews)

• There are some great people that work at this company (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Too many long hours and not enough pay for the hard labor you do (in 7 reviews)

• Sales people are treated like "worker bees" and given no respect whatsoever (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

This is a great company to work for, with an exciting environment and lots to learn.

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Art Van Furniture full-time

Pros

Good benefits, great people, fun, exciting, fast and every changing environment, and very talented people on staff.

Cons

Most of the time you will only be a shell of who you really are. Long drives combined with long hours and poor planning, which includes up to four managers opening the store on the same day, all driving long distances and some working 14 hour days, which shows a lack of concern, consideration and care from upper management. The company SOP for work hours needs to be changed to address managers driving longer distances. Fix it!

Great leadership includes a duty to lead and a duty to care. Your managers are leading people who feel sorry for them - that's a bad situation. You are aware of the negatives that surround sleep deprivation, yet you show no concern for your managers and their ability to stay fresh; you will never be great leaders until you correct the problem.

Work Hard - Get Paid

Current Employee - Assistant Sales Manager in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Assistant Sales Manager in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Art Van Furniture full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great workplace environment that supports constant and never-ending self-improvement. Willing to create additional titles for those who provide additional value to the company.

Cons

Long hours, no 401k matching...

Managerial scheduling should be revised...shorter hours would help balance work/personal life and keep managers from burning out.

Great opportunities, but you must dedicate your life to this job if you want to thrive.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at Art Van Furniture part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The company is working to give itself a more positive image than it has had in the past due to pushy sales people. There are good opportunities to make good money here. Its hard work but you are rewarded with the commission you earn if you work hard enough.

Cons

This job is all commission and long and late hours. The managers definitely show almost unfair favoritism to top performers, I suppose that's how things work. Also, if you can not manage to sell above a certain point you will loose your job in less than 6 months. The pay structure is on a monthly draw system.

Dear Management,
    the store does not need to be open past 8 on any day; people will come when we're open and the late hours is ruining the morale of the staff. Also the frequency of sales will eventually ruin any urgency there is left. The habits of the sales and management are training the customer to demand free everything and is ruining the value of the brand. I still believe this is a great company though; I believe this company has room to grow, but will eventually be the largest furniture store in the nation.

Lost me at Dirty Windows

I worked at Art Van Furniture

Pros

Wouldn't know. 7 days through training was asked to go home and think about it.

Cons

They put you in a training course that is best described as schizophrenic. Apparently this is to see if you can cut it. So along you go subject changing every 30 min. Locked in 9 straight hours. Trainer repeating phrase over and over speed wins, speedwins,. Old dos system that takes a patient person to teach properly. No accomodation of different learning styles. Just rapid fire info. jumping from one subject to another meant to keep you off balance. You are informed aout 4 days into training you are not being trained for the job you arebeing assessed. Day 1 instructor tells you they are BETTERr and GRANDER than all the mom and pop shops. These shops are referred to as "DIRTY WINDOWS" repeated many times through out course of day. DISGUSTING organization. EVERYTHING that is wrong with the world today. I consider myself lucky in dodging this bullet. I recieved job offer from dirty windows..Better pay, shorter hours, and RESPECT. (something that does not appear to be in this comany's business moodel.)

Roller coaster ride With MANY dips

Current Employee - Customer Pick-Up Associate in Toledo, OH
    Current Employee - Customer Pick-Up Associate in Toledo, OH

I have been working at Art Van Furniture full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Many different jobs/tasks to do stay busy

Cons

Do the most work of anybody in store but get paid the less. Management bends the rules to fit their way to what they want, regard company policies/rules.

Maybe if they stop spending all this money on free food, cookies for v.i.p. days and pay there people more it might be worth it.

A Scheister outfit, what a shame

I worked at Art Van Furniture

Pros

Location , president concept.
    pig has pretty lipstick.

Cons

Sneaky tactics manager's are trained to do to keep the commission payouts low overall, once Art gets repaid draw...

it's starts at the top. dont bother.

loved this job!

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Muskegon, MI
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Muskegon, MI

I worked at Art Van Furniture full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I got to meet and talk to a lot of people in my position in customer service. Unfortunately, I moved from Michigan & had to leave my position.

Cons

the only thing I didn't like was our work area had too many people in it. Not only 4 of us but, others in different positions. I know it was remodeled after I left but, it's still the same.

Amazing Company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Warren, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Warren, MI

I have been working at Art Van Furniture full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

With Art Van Furniture I have found: tons of opportunity, a company committed to your growth, I get to work with many people who have become best friends, and a company that loves to win. Every day I am proud to work for such a philanthropic entrepreneur.

Cons

Retail is tough. You have to be great at time management.

Do Not Recommend.

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative

I have been working at Art Van Furniture part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

At the store level, you will feel as if you are part of a family.

Cons

Retail hours, hit-or-miss management, unprofessional leadership, little recognition. Hours are to be expected with retail but hours have been consistently getting worse since I've started with this company. Opening earlier, closing later, and if there's a single customer browsing in the store you are at their mercy. It's a growing company but unfortunately this year it seems as if they've tried to grow too fast and keep trying to find ways to gain more sales and cut costs. To go further in this company, you have to be pretty cutthroat, as exemplified by the cold upper management.

Recognize positives at least as much as negatives.

A lot of hard work will definitely pay off here.

Current Employee - Home Furnishings Consultant in Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - Home Furnishings Consultant in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at Art Van Furniture full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The draw is nice because you still get a check every week. Benefits like health insurance, paid vacations, profit sharing, life insurance.

Cons

Being 100% commission there is always some serious competition and not everyone is always friendly and truthful.

Try not to manage by use of intimidation.