Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. Reviews

Updated March 29, 2015
236 reviews filtered by
2.9
Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. Chairman, President, and CEO J. Patrick Gallagher Jr.
J. Patrick Gallagher Jr.

Pros
  • Some areas offer remote work from home opportunities (in 6 reviews)

• Good Environment, Best Work Life Balance (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Some areas of the company do not have a good work/life balance (in 8 reviews)

• No personal growth, very low pay increases unless your one of the chosen few (the pets they are called there) (in 5 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Great Company

Current Employee - Client Service Associate in Glendale, CA
    Current Employee - Client Service Associate in Glendale, CA

I have been working at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Best employer I've had thus far. I can listen to music at my desk. They paid for my licensing expenses.

Cons

Getting a raise is hard. Yearly self-performance review you have to write. Provided Health Insurance isn't the best.

Promote more often, give higher raises and bonuses.

Professional company, Highest standards in the industry BUT Humanly impossible to perform your assigned work.

I worked at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great Benefits, Professional atmosphere, They Motivate staff with Perks. the cream of the crop employees in the Industry, Pay for all licensing, Technology top notch

Cons

Designed to fail The work load that is required of you daily would and is not humanly possible unless you are a robot. Due to there Ratings they are strict and require you to perform responsibilities that would be impossible unless you worked 16 Hours a day and you are paid for 8. There are no excuses for not getting the job done. managers are so overworked they do not have the time to even help with problems. Their main objective is acquisitions of small companies. These small companies have not managed or maintained the policies that you are now responsible for.. The clients are not given any warnings that the producer/ Client service manager that they were dealing with at the "mom & pop" agencies for years and years can no longer help them with new Business needs or questions on current policies., they are referred to a toll free number in a different state where they are speaking to a client service Manager that has no idea of who they are, what there needs are or any contact information. This is exceptionally frustrating for the customer and for the client service Manager that has to satisfy the client and make sure the clients needs are meet. the Insurance companies the clients have been written with are foreign to the AJG and you cannot access the companies by internet or Phone due to the writing company does not acknowledge you as the producer. You chase your tail all day. your required to produce, process, sell and service the accounts. Maintain the business you have been assigned and deal with the politics and understaffing. The Managers are over worked and not knowledgeable when you have a problem to help you fix it. the Producers at the inception of the policy were more interested in the sale then the needs of the clients. There are giant "holes" in the policy that now becomes your problem. Policies have to be re-written, reviewed and maintained in accordance to AJG very strict policies. You are audited and written up if you make a error. having 20 years of experience in Commercial insurance I realized that what is required of you is impossible. stress levels are like no other profession. You are cleaning up the errors and laziness of prior Producers and customer service Reps. Taking a day off is not a option as when you return that work load awaits you and just compiles. its literally a nightmare... most frustrating place to work and you are just a Employee Number at the end of the day. sitting in a cubicle feeling like you need medication to deal with the anxiety. And VERY "clicky" Catty woman and backstabbing, gossip ridden. You can not say a work, mind your own business and yet the amount of viciousness is the icing on the cake.

More training and more management, Employees cannot get answers to crucial questions as they are not trained or have no knowledge. Employees should not have to ask five managers a basic question to get a answer to a customers question

3. Former Admin

Former Employee - Administrative in Itasca, IL
    Former Employee - Administrative in Itasca, IL

I worked at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Co-workers, managers, salary, varied work and exposure to multiple departments

Cons

Amt of work expected to be accomplished could not be done without overtime hours/pay, which was to be pre-approved which could be difficult to predict.

It's a Little Different

Former Employee - IT Specialist in Itasca, IL
    Former Employee - IT Specialist in Itasca, IL

I worked at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co.

Pros

Growing like the dickens.
    Peers were great to work with.

Cons

I'm sure it depends on the department one works in.
    Salary is way less than industry average for position\time in position.
    Trying to get by on the cheap in IT salary-wise, for keeping an old system afloat.

Except for a few good guys, 70's style management. No-one sees the boss or the boss's boss etc....
    How about relying less on email and going back to "Management By Walking Around" ?
    Being a self-starter with minimum supervision is not the same as no direction.
    CIO is semi-clueless. Tone deaf with a tin ear.
    Don't fall too much In love with Indian off-shore resources.
    Start looking to the Philippines to save even more money.

6. It was ok

I worked at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co.

Pros

Nice People
    Ability to move in the company

Cons

Not very good with internal communication.

When you have different departments involved in a project. Communication is key, I found a lot was duplicated because the information was not being shared.

7. Not the best experience

Former Employee - Summer Intern in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Summer Intern in Houston, TX

I worked at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co.

Pros

- Intern conference in Chicago was a good experience
    - Good way to look at the insurance industry from the brokerage perspective
    - I got to meet Pat Gallagher (CEO) at the intern conference. He is a very interesting person who had great advice and who I believe truly wants the best for his employees.

Cons

I think my cons have to do more with the insurance industry/culture itself than Gallagher specifically. The industry seems to foster a certain culture of that I can't really put my finger on.. the only thing I can think to say is that there seems to be a lot of snootiness and unhappiness.

There were a few times coworkers would take me out to lunch and openly trash the company/management etc in front of me - and I was an intern! It was just a weird environment.

Caveat Emptor

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Nice office. Good location. Friendly and committed staff.

Cons

Only thing that counts is new business, not profitability or client satisfaction. No raise is 6 years despite above average performance reviews. Terrible and impersonal online performance review system. Employee morale low priority as witness by millions spent on "Power of Gallagher" obscene extravaganza. Salesmen get all the perks and support staff that makes things happen get little of nothing.

Beware: the economy is changing and you will (finally) have to pay attention to your employees, compensate them equitably and treat them with respect rather than cogs in the wheel.

9. Very family oriented company

Current Employee - Account Coordinator in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Account Coordinator in Houston, TX

I have been working at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co.

Pros

Great management style, family like atmosphere, teamwork inspired

Cons

Many family members work here, favoritism can be a problem

10. Learned Valuable Lessons

Former Employee - Website Marketing Specialist in Itasca, IL
    Former Employee - Website Marketing Specialist in Itasca, IL

I worked at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Company is profitable and is getting larger every day.
    Pretty good medical, dental etc benefits and generous PTO and holidays
    Compensation is equal to the national average
    Develop and manage multiple projects from inception through completion
    Work side-by-side with some very intelligent people who will make you do your best
    Family-style atmosphere, which means everyone is upfront and honest, sometimes brutally honest
    Directors of marketing have vast experience of marketing and technology and are willing to help you if you ask for direction.

Cons

You will be harassed your first few months.
    Political: lots of family members or friends of the family who get jobs here
    High-stressed managers talk down to you and even yell at you in meetings.
    There is not a fully developed training curriculum, you will need to develop it yourself
    Overworked employees and managers who are very forgetful
    Be prepared to work 12-hour days and have no one recognize your devotion to the company and passion to succeed.

Try not to interrogate employees in their first week of employment.
    Take it easy on the micro-management as a lot of the employees do not like it and stress about it daily.
    You talk about having employees who are pro-active, but you forget that you too should be pro-actively looking to help your employees succeed, instead of breaking down their character and making them feel small.
    Build up each employees confidence and it will show through their work.

Gossip/Nepotism

Former Employee - Claims Adjuster in Miramar, FL
    Former Employee - Claims Adjuster in Miramar, FL

I worked at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co.

Pros

Generally friendly people in the office. Okay health benefits. Nice area. Stable environment.

Cons

Low salary, gossip, nepotism, and two face co-workers.

Certain branch managers are quite informal and moody.

Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. Photos