Arthur J. Gallagher & Co.

www.ajg.com

Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. Reviews

Updated Jul 11, 2014

Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. Chairman, President, and CEO J. Patrick Gallagher Jr.

J. Patrick Gallagher Jr.

Pros
  • Good Environment, Best Work Life Balance (in 6 reviews)

• Some people can work from home, but you have to be a management favorite (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Some areas of the company do not have a good work/life balance (in 8 reviews)

• Outdated computer systems; constantly freezing or shutting down (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

A lot of opportunity for young professionals

Commercial Underwriter (Current Employee)

ProsI have worked at the company for more than 5 years now and there is a lot of opportunity for advancement and career growth. Young talent are fastracked through the EDGE program with your peers. Benefits are decent compared to other competitors. My direct management is encouraging and gets the whole work-life balance deal. If you work hard and do what's right, you'll be given opportunities to move up within the company.

ConsOnly 10 vacation days and 3 floating days to start. Needs to be 15 +3 but that's something you could negotiate if you really wanted.

Office culture is a little stale at times and it's a full time desk job for me. Pay was a little on the low side with competitors.

One big turn off is the company pumps itself up all the time and it's a bunch of hullabaloo if you ask me. Yes, it's a growing and diverse company but they make a big deal about yearly growth and it's really externally through acquisitions and not organic.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake it a fun place to work. Offices that don't see. Liens every day should be casual. Celebrate birthdays and events as a group. Provide small rewards for extra work...create a fun incentive program for your people ($50 gift card for top producers each month, etc.)

Internship Experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsAs an intern, you are able to experience the daily routines of the Producers and learn the basics of the commercial insurance industry. The employees at the office you intern take care of you as much as possible and the pay is very competitive in terms of Internships. Meet other interns from around the country.

ConsMost of the Producers do not have enough time to spend with the Interns on a daily basis, so you are stuck with "busy work". People outside your immediate office are not the greatest. It is a difficult business to be successful in.

Great company undermined by inept local branch management

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsGreat brand, market leverage, name recognition and resources

ConsOld boys club. If you are a middle aged white man you will never, ever be fired. Doesn't matter how poorly he's performed. Insufficient accountability of poor performers. Generally their work load is reduced but pay remains the same. Revenue generated by top performers underwrites low performers existence.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour workforce should be as diverse as your client base. A predominantly middle aged white male leadership team sends the wrong message. Visit the local offices, listen to the top performers and affect change

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Internship

Intern (Former Employee) Itasca, IL

ProsEverything was fantastic and great

ConsNothing was bad about this company

Awesome Internship

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood guidance throughout internship. Not much pressure. Gained a lot of experience.

ConsSometimes there can be a lot of work, but that is to be expected.

Too much change for the sake of centralization and cost-cutting

ProsThere are many good people to work with.

ConsThe last 7 years has been nothing but change, much of it good, but some very painful for much of the company. The work-live balance is non-existant as working on a majority of weekends is unavoidable and there is little opportunity to take vacation time.

Not a Good Place

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsDecent benefits, coworkers are great

ConsManagement is horrible. Training is horrible. I have never been to a company where over half of the staff (including the manager) is looking to get out. This company is a revolving door. There is a reason why the same positions are open year after year.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management should pay attention to the high turnover in the accounting/finance department and make some changes to their middle management. The reputation as an employer is very bad, and spreading like wildfire.

.Good Company Gone Very Bad! Gallagher Bassett.

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee)

ProsIn the years past there were many pros to working for this company with many long time employees.
    If you are in your twenties and want to work for "below standard industrial " wages while learning the workers' compensation business then this is what you are looking for. Learn as fast as you can and
    move up.

ConsUnattainable expectations and caseload is not manageable.
    Middle management are completely useless because they are so stressed and overworked from micro-managing, they have lost all touch with their teams.
    The New Gallager Way is: Quantity over Quality !

Advice to Senior ManagementClients should not be sold a service that cannot be delivered.

I dare any member of upper management, Sr. vice-president, Asst Vice-presidents, Account managers down to office managers to do my job as a CSR for one month and see if you can do my job and not make a few mistakes. I would love to see your reaction when your lively hood is threatened because even you can't deliver what you demand of your employees, maybe then you will realize that the problem isn't because of the worker bees but is directly related to your "new compliance program" , because it is more important to be compliant than to actually take care of our customers

Good Company, Bad Management, Worse Benefits

Account Manager (Former Employee) Itasca, IL

ProsLots of resources, still has an entrepreneurial feel, room to grow, stable industry, possible to specialize in many different areas

ConsThe company does not value its employees. All perks disappeared during the great recession but never reappeared. The benefits are terrible. Health plan is so cheap, retirement plan is a joke (+5 years vesting, company match is not competitve), and PTO time is 10 days for the first 5 years! 10 days! Work-life balance is terrible.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove the benefits program or you'll never attract new talent and this will affect / hurt growth in the future. Maybe decide to actually follow the Gallagher Way you brag about so much. Have any of you read it recently?

Seem to be constantly downsizing, not a lot of strategic planning.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsAccess to lots of a carriers

ConsMorale is not great and communication poor.

Advice to Senior ManagementSell to a firm that has enlightened approach to its people.

Worked for Arthur J. Gallagher & Co.? Contribute to the Community!