Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. Reviews

• Any Status
Employment Status

Reset
2.0
Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. Chairman, President, and CEO J. Patrick Gallagher Jr.
J. Patrick Gallagher Jr.

Pros
  • Some areas offer remote work from home opportunities (in 6 reviews)

• My direct management is encouraging and gets the whole work-life balance deal (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Some areas of the company do not have a good work/life balance (in 8 reviews)

• No personal growth, very low pay increases unless your one of the chosen few (the pets they are called there) (in 5 reviews)

Unrealistic goals

I worked at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. full-time

Pros

I worked with very talented and experienced people on the broker side of AJG at a branch office. The resources listed as available showed a great amount of depth.

Cons

The resources promised in AJG materials, such as in-depth property claim experience were not available to clients. Getting an "expert" out of Chicago was like trying to pass an act of Congress. There was little oversight with branch offices and we often asked the question- what would corporate do if they actually came out to the branch (not a small either) and talked to the people on the ground? Nepotism runs wild for a publicly traded company with many high level management positions filled by family- by either birth or marriage. Lastly, when goals came out for the following year, there was little explanation of how to achieve a high (15-20%) increase year after year without additional resources.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring family members and take the best candidate. Make goals reasonable to achieve. Send a manager who isn't in the chain of command to a branch office to get a real assessment of what is happening at the branch and why.

Client Services Manager

Current Employee - Client Services Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Client Services Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Atlanta location has good shopping areas nearby. For running errands during lunch hour or after work. Somewhat flexible schedule

Cons

No bonuses at year end, incentives are only for producers. Producers are treated like they are royalty and we are peasants. Heavy workload since people are quitting all the time. New hires at all times doesn't help, they expect you to train others on top of doing your own work on time. No good benefits for such a well endowed company. Robot type work with no acknowledgment of work well done. Management gives you hell when you're late or absent even when you have valid reasons and even if you actually have days off to spare.

Advice to Management

To offer incentives if they want their account managers to do producer work. Lighten workload and hire necessary talented workers. Offer necessary training personnel for new hires instead of making coworkers train them.

Client Service Associate, Senior

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Pros

Good pay and nice co-workers.

Cons

No training structure, benefits not that great, micro managing. You have to pretty much learn the systems on your own.

Company in an aging Industry and hasn't kept up with current work environments

Former Employee - Client Service Associate
    Former Employee - Client Service Associate

I worked at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Organized Corporate Team -Flexible schedules

Cons

- Budgets are tight - In an aging industry - Benefits not that great/expensive health plans

Advice to Management

Not the 1950's anymore, create a more appealing work environment and upgrade employee perks.

6. Senior Claims Representative

Pros

Supportive team members, allow work from home

Cons

Bad management, very demanding work schedules. They take advantage of salaried workers and expect them to work well beyond M-F 8:30 to 4:30.

Advice to Management

Lower claim counts and make salaries more competitive

7. AJGeeee

Current Employee - Vice President in Radnor, PA
    Current Employee - Vice President in Radnor, PA

I have been working at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The stock price keeps going up

Cons

The company values the robot mentality

8. It's claims

Pros

It's a good environment to work in. The people are great.

Cons

Work and life balance.

Entry Level, don't expect much

Current Employee - Institutional Investment and Fiduciary Services Analyst in Washington, DC

I have been working at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Work with smart people. - Opportunity to learn, - Working to build up the group, - Changing for the better, - Great starter job in the investment industry,

Cons

- Some of the AVP have absolute no respect for the analyst, treating us like data analyst, and thinking they are much better than us, - Salary is 30-40% below industry average, they know that but that doesn't change anything, - Environment is absolutely toxic, - Weekly analyst meeting that just focus on what we aren't doing well, - Super analysts "supervisors" who don't do anything except delegate work and make spreadsheets that no one uses. No one really knows what she does, - Half the analysts are constantly looking for new jobs because how horrible it is with pay and environment,

Advice to Management

- Compensate employees fairly to retain talent - Ask analyst to rate consultants because not only is a consultants job to retain clients but also to retain their team,

10. It sucks

I worked at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. full-time

Pros

There are times that you feel like people like you there, and there are times you may genuinely like working there and seeing everybody everyday.

Cons

that feeling ends pretty quickly, people are always on you no matter what you do, even if you are caught up, NOTHING is good enough for them. One mistake, One time, never before done is a criminal case to them, even if it's something small, like putting the coffee box in the wrong cupboard.

Advice to Management

I honestly don't know, Management is great, they seem like nice people and are very understanding. It's everybody else that is less than satisfactory.

Account Executive

Pros

Despite my concerns, my company (that was acquired) has, for the most part, been left alone so I still have the enjoyment of my co-workers, same office location and same small company feel. Most of my higher ratings are due to the Execs that I still work with on a daily basis.

Cons

As a publicly traded company there is little generousity. There are no extras and very little is done in the way of wellness. Sure there is a wellness program but as a company that consults on wellness it would be nice if we more cutting edge. I feel all the extreme benefits consulting practices are used here....premium contributions tied to salary, premiums for the high deductible HSA qualified plan are higher than the norm, employer HSA contributions are divided among each pay period (nothing generous about that) and 401k contribution matches aren't allocated until you've spent the entire year there. To me this is keeping score but I guess no surprises as a publicly traded international firm. As for the companies professional resources and services, it's disjointed. There's very little organic growth here so chances are the service you may need to lean on for client support was an acquired company working as it's own profit center. This can lead to less flexibility and it often feels clunky. They also may not be sympathetic to what your needs are because hey, they have their own objectives that have nothing to do with helping you support your client or revenue. Overall there just feels like a lack of being under one roof, so to speak. I'm sure this is typical of a large international organization that grows mainly by acquisition though.

RSS Feed </> Embed