Arthur J. Gallagher & Co.
www.ajg.com Itasca, IL 5000+ Employees

Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. Reviews

Updated Apr 8, 2014

Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. Chairman, President, and CEO J. Patrick Gallagher Jr.

J. Patrick Gallagher Jr.

Pros:
  • "Some people can work from home, but you have to be a management favorite"
    in 5 reviews
  • "Good Environment, Best Work Life Balance"
    in 5 reviews
Cons:
  • "No work life balance too much focus on quantity and not quality of work"
    in 6 reviews
  • "Outdated computer systems; constantly freezing or shutting down"
    in 6 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

High stress, Horrible Management

I have been working at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co.

ProsThere isn't a single pro I can think of here except maybe the experience I gained to find a new job.

ConsManagement plays favorites, there are cliques not teams, the pay sucks the work atmosphere is crap. Training is horrid and even if you are told "don't be afraid to ask questions" you may as well just not bother asking as after you are told once what to do you ought to know by now exactly what to do.

Worst job of my life

Claims Adjuster (Former Employee)
Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. full-time for less than a year

ProsThere were no pros to this job. I had worked as a Claims Adjuster for a few years before coming to this company. I didn't last long here.

ConsI felt unwelcome as soon as I started. All of my co-workers outside of 1 were rude, not helpful in any way and acted as though they wished I wasn't there. I later found out it was because they were all aware that I was being paid more than they were before I started. Pretty sure that is something that shouldn't be disclosed to other employees.

Favoritism ran wild at the OKC office. There was another individual who was promoted to adjuster at the same time they hired me for the same job. On a daily basis I was given 5-7 times the workload of this person as they were buddy buddy with the department manager. This person was incompetent and never should have been promoted in the first place. Constantly asked me questions and I basically ended up doing their work on top of mine. They had gotten in trouble with the law, couldn't show up on time etc. etc. but none of that mattered.

I took two part-time jobs that I was WAY over qualified for just to get out of there. I have warned multiple people about working at this place.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook into how your OKC office is being run. The management was terrible and mostly non-existent. Hopefully in the time since I left, some of that has changed.

Chaos in the workplace

Client Representative (Former Employee)
Quincy, MA

I worked at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. full-time for more than 3 years

Prosa few good people, free coffee, good location, job security because lots of people quit

ConsManagement is a circus, overworked/underpaid revolving door Client Service Dept, no communication, cog in the wheel, no respect, no accolades, no incentive/motivation to work harder, no recognition for a job well done, no growth opportunities

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention or more employees will walk out the door, show some competence, interact with your employees better, show respect, get to know people, HELP out in times of need, be a leader not a manager, a better training model for new employees... The sweatshop review said it all.

Think Twice...Unrealistic Expections

Senior Claims Examiner (Former Employee)
Maple Grove, MN

I worked at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. full-time for more than 5 years

ProsLunch with vendors, and other misc perks from vendors

ConsOutdated computer systems; constantly freezing or shutting down. Very unmanageable workload. Major micro-managing, totally out of control with no Supv support. Allegedly paperless, but without any uniform process; a real nightmare. Overabundance of emails from mgmt were a major distraction to completing work. Client/customer satisfaction no longer the focus, just a numbers game. Very low morale, lack of communication, no team atmosphere, more like CYOA. A lot of pressure to work OT, no personal life (I worked over 70 hrs/wk). Frozen pay...unless you were an office pet. Very unprofessional office manager; i.e. if you were not related or hand-picked, your life was made miserable to the point of forcing you to quit or be fired. No job security...the overall tone was you could easily be replaced...and many were.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook in the mirror, listen to yourselves

Do you like SharePoint? If so It's a Dream. but if You are a REAL Developer, it's a pile

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee)
Itasca, IL

I worked at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. as a contractor for less than a year

Prosnone here, stay away if you are a REAL software engineer.

Consif you love SharePoint, work here.

If you know SharePoint is a pile of shiza, don't. SharePoint is their bread and butter. Consultants make millions off of supporting their sharepoint systems that crash all the time.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet some real developers and get the f rid of ShareSh**. (SharePoint)

Really terrible....

Project Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. as a contractor for less than a year

ProsThey work 7 hour days but even that seems like an eternity

ConsTerrible overall IT and PMO management

Advice to Senior ManagementWhat good would it do. They know it all.

Understaffed, overworked

Account Representative (Current Employee)
San Jose, CA

I have been working at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. full-time for more than a year

ProsTime flexibility, close to food places

ConsPoor management, unethical behavior/manner, unhelpful

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to employees and take steps to make work a better environment

Beware

Account Executive (Former Employee)

I worked at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. full-time for less than a year

ProsWorldwide insurance services and offices

ConsInduce you with an attractive package and then terminate without any notice. Outsources their service center to India. Terrible customer service and more interested in revenue than clients

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Bad Company

Accounts Payables (Former Employee)
Itasca, IL

I worked at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. full-time for more than a year

ProsGenerally coworkers are nice and helpful

ConsManagement has no idea what is going on.
Company fires people all the time and has a high turnover rate.
Company makes lots of money but feels it should continue to outsource work to India and shrink department size. Overwhelming amounts of work for employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to care about your employees before the company can not function.

Horrible Stay Away from Syracuse, NY office

Claims (Current Employee)
Syracuse, NY

I have been working at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. as a contractor for more than 5 years

Prosnone
Stay away
The work environment is horrible every employee is miserable

ConsOffice Manager treats employees like dirt
Horrible work environment
compensation and benefits
No respect for employees
turnover rate is extremely high

Advice to Senior ManagementAudit office managers and listen to the employees who are being treated like dirt
Upstate NY office you should realize what is going on employees are scared to talk.
GB is horrible employer benefits, compensation how do you expect quality work when you can't give your employees bonus or annual raise but then expect them to work they way they do. Horrible company to work for

Worked for Arthur J. Gallagher & Co.? Contribute to the Community!

Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. Videos

Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. – Why Work for Us?

Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. began as a one-man agency in 1927 and has grown to become one of the world's largest insurance brokerage and risk management services firms with more than 12,500 employees globally… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. CEO J. Patrick Gallagher Jr. All 150 reviews posted anonymously by Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. employees.