Arthur J. Gallagher & Co.

www.ajg.com

Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. Reviews

Updated January 22, 2015
Updated January 22, 2015
2.9

Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. Chairman, President, and CEO J. Patrick Gallagher Jr.
J. Patrick Gallagher Jr.

Pros
  • Some areas offer remote work from home opportunities (in 6 reviews)

• Good Environment, Best Work Life Balance (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Some areas of the company do not have a good work/life balance (in 8 reviews)

• No personal growth, very low pay increases unless your one of the chosen few (the pets they are called there) (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

They are all about the shareholders and Nepotistic Select

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

civic. - minded, ethical. Decent work - life balance

Cons

No training, little job security, no career path, no pension, poor 401K (annual contribution 12/31, sucks!), subpar income opportunity, poor management, everthing is about the shareholder and the nepotistic select . They'll present an attractive carrot to attract you and then change the game !'

Benefits and compensation not competitive with competition. Poor support demonstrated my retention. Poor sales management. Excessive and unfair nepotism. obvious extreamist focus of the shareholder over the treatment of the employee effectives moral. Corporate greed is obvious

Hmm.

Current Employee - Account Manager in Glendale, CA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Glendale, CA

I have been working at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Culture use to be friendly.

Cons

Culture is driven by corporate mandates rather than talent.

Make a point of getting better acquainted with your 'team'.

Summer Internship Review

Current Employee - Summer Intern
    Current Employee - Summer Intern

I have been working at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. as an intern (more than a year)

Pros

They are very dedicated to their internship program and invest a lot in interns with hopes that they will start a career at Gallagher. First and second year interns have a chance to travel to the home office in Itasca, just outside of Chicago. I actually had the chance to meet executive officers and even the CEO of an international company. There was a lot of hands on learning and group oriented work during the internship

Cons

The second summer that I interned there, there was some repetitive work

Maybe create a more specified track for interns that come back for a second summer to eliminate the repetition

Nice place to work

Current Employee - Insurance Producer in Short Hills, NJ
    Current Employee - Insurance Producer in Short Hills, NJ

I have been working at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very friendly environment and nice pace to work

Cons

Salary range is low for industry

Great place to work when older

Former Employee - Intern in Itasca, IL
    Former Employee - Intern in Itasca, IL

I worked at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Positive atmosphere, lots to learn, benefits are good.

Cons

Insurance can be boring and difficult to pick up on. The business is mostly male dominated which can be discouraging. Low Pay for entry-level.

Great place

I have been working at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co.

Pros

great culture, really live up to company values

Cons

need to have the grit and drive to be successful

Do NOT accept temp-to-hire opportunities with Gallagher!!!!

Former Employee - Accounts Payable Specialist in Itasca, IL
    Former Employee - Accounts Payable Specialist in Itasca, IL

I worked at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Friendly employees, and beautiful building. The company itself seems like it's going places, and knows its way around the insurance industry.

Cons

We (myself and a group of 5 other people) were hired through Accountemps to join their accounts payable team. It was explained to us that we were to be temporary employees during the training process, and then were supposed to be hired on as full employees of AJG following completion of training. The training process is very hands-off as far as the managers' perspective is. We were given a few seminars on the basics of the accounting software, then handed obscure assignments to do during the day based on what we were shown earlier. The individual training us, Yolanda Thomas, pretty well refused to answer questions regarding how to do certain things within the system. The other AP department managers seemed equally disengaged from helping us trainees learn how things were done properly. I managed to get my assignments done on time, somehow... It really just seemed like they didn't care whether we actually learned anything, or how we were progressing. Fast forward 2 weeks since my group started training, my accountemps recruiter calls me up to tell me that we'd all been terminated. Not a single word of feedback or warning from the AP department managers at Gallagher, they just emailed accountemps to say they were aborting the class out of nowhere. Apparently this is a running theme with Gallagher's accounts payable department, they will take on a whole bunch of temps to train, and then fire most (if not all) the trainees out of nowhere in one fell swoop with ZERO warning or feedback throughout the process. It was wonderful waking up at 7:30AM only to get a call from accountemps saying there was no need for me to report to work, it's pretty cowardly and unethical in my own opinion, but Gallagher obviously has their own way of doing things.

Don't keep bringing on people if you don't have the capacity to train them. Don't appoint managers who are extremely busy with other stuff as the lead trainer, use someone who can actually watch over the trainees and answer their questions. Bringing on 7 people only to keep a couple of them (or even sometimes none of them) is entirely unethical and wastes everyone's time and money, especially when NO feedback is ever given to the students on how they're doing throughout the training process.

CRM Analyst at AJG

Former Employee - CRM Analyst in Itasca, IL
    Former Employee - CRM Analyst in Itasca, IL

I worked at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Some Really Great People. Good Insurance Benefits. Some areas offer remote work from home opportunities.

Cons

Extremely Political Environment. Friends & Family of Executives everywhere within the company.

Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. Risk Management Services (BSD)

Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in Itasca, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in Itasca, IL

I have been working at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Depending on which office you work in and who you are working with team building plays a large part of the job. You will meet great people in this company.

The service systems are setup great if you're capable of teaching yourself how to use them (EPIC, CSR24, CSP etc.) Depending on your office failure to invest in a decent computer and internet connection will be the largest problem.

Benefits are decent. 401K (Matching is annual). If you smoke you will be charged $600/yr more on your insurance.

Cons

Let me preface this by pointing out that the majority of the company is old (meaning early 50's and above).

CSO Leadership failed. People who were put in charge are all great but they promoted the wrong people. The people in charge of making sure you know how to use the various service systems are unsure of themselves and frequently give inaccurate information. They are reading for a script that they have not even memorized. --- Company needs to seriously hire younger people from within to fill these rolls.

You have to accept that even though this is a publicly traded company there is no chance for meaningful promotion and or a pay raise. They use a "performance driven pay" system, offices are slotted pay raises by exceeding their "goals" by 20 / 30 and 35% each represent 2% raise 4% raise and 7% raise. Also year over year growth is expected to be approximately 12% so failure to get 32% growth will result in no pay increase. You also need to pass audit with a 91% or higher or you are disqualified from getting a pay raise. Pay attention to that last part because they will attempt to make your work load so heavy (with useless Professional Standards tasks) that one could not possibly accomplish this. -- It is a running joke that unless you're a Gallagher you have no chance to get promoted. The vast majority of office managers are cousins.

Producers -- get 30% commission for new business and 18% for renewal. - Almost everyone is from the Baby Boomer generation. I attend company sales meetings frequently and of the 100's that show up you may see 3 or 4 under the age of 35. The industry is like a massive frat house if you're one of the cool kids (baby boomers) great! If you're young the older people will attempt to steal as much of your business as they can while making you do all of the work. -- This is something I have heard repeated with alarming frequency.

They will tell you about the Gallagher Way, great set of ideas but no longer truly the companies identify. Any office that has less than 100 people I would suggest avoiding.

Almost all of your senior account managers are delegating their work loads to assistant account managers (who make about 40k/yr) which is why they all leave.

I have now worked in three offices and under 5 presidents over 10 years. Two of them have been some of the most motivating awesome people I have ever come across. The other three have been awful, two of which only last a few months and the most recent of which has no respect for his employees and or their careers. Several people have address this persons inability to perform their job with Human Resources and nothing has ever been resolved. Anyone that has 20 people quit on them while not being able to maintain more than 1 or 2 people through organic growth isn't fit to be an office president.

challenging and stressful job comes with rewards.

I have been working at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good pay, opportunity to move up in the company, benefits are great, including their 401k program.

Cons

Stressful, training isn't that great because everyone is busy, high workload, complex issues and high volume of work to handle on a tight schedule.

Keep rewarding those that do good work.

Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. Photos