Arthur J. Gallagher & Co.

www.ajg.com
  www.ajg.com

Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. Reviews

Updated December 17, 2014
Updated December 17, 2014
2.8

Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. Chairman, President, and CEO J. Patrick Gallagher Jr.
J. Patrick Gallagher Jr.

Pros
  • Some areas offer remote work from home opportunities (in 6 reviews)

• Good Environment, Best Work Life Balance (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Some areas of the company do not have a good work/life balance (in 8 reviews)

• No personal growth, very low pay increases unless your one of the chosen few (the pets they are called there) (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Hmm.

Current Employee - Account Manager in Glendale, CA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Glendale, CA

I have been working at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Culture use to be friendly.

Cons

Culture is driven by corporate mandates rather than talent.

Make a point of getting better acquainted with your 'team'.

Great place

I have been working at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co.

Pros

great culture, really live up to company values

Cons

need to have the grit and drive to be successful

CRM Analyst at AJG

Former Employee - CRM Analyst in Itasca, IL
    Former Employee - CRM Analyst in Itasca, IL

I worked at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Some Really Great People. Good Insurance Benefits. Some areas offer remote work from home opportunities.

Cons

Extremely Political Environment. Friends & Family of Executives everywhere within the company.

Wonderful employer

I have been working at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The pros outweigh the cons of working at AJ Gallagher. The people are wonderful and the best part of working there.

Cons

Compensation in my role is lower than average and the workload high

Focus internally on employees and their wellbeing and that will take care of the clients and stockholders

Do NOT accept temp-to-hire opportunities with Gallagher!!!!

Former Employee - Accounts Payable Specialist in Itasca, IL
    Former Employee - Accounts Payable Specialist in Itasca, IL

I worked at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Friendly employees, and beautiful building. The company itself seems like it's going places, and knows its way around the insurance industry.

Cons

We (myself and a group of 5 other people) were hired through Accountemps to join their accounts payable team. It was explained to us that we were to be temporary employees during the training process, and then were supposed to be hired on as full employees of AJG following completion of training. The training process is very hands-off as far as the managers' perspective is. We were given a few seminars on the basics of the accounting software, then handed obscure assignments to do during the day based on what we were shown earlier. The individual training us, Yolanda Thomas, pretty well refused to answer questions regarding how to do certain things within the system. The other AP department managers seemed equally disengaged from helping us trainees learn how things were done properly. I managed to get my assignments done on time, somehow... It really just seemed like they didn't care whether we actually learned anything, or how we were progressing. Fast forward 2 weeks since my group started training, my accountemps recruiter calls me up to tell me that we'd all been terminated. Not a single word of feedback or warning from the AP department managers at Gallagher, they just emailed accountemps to say they were aborting the class out of nowhere. Apparently this is a running theme with Gallagher's accounts payable department, they will take on a whole bunch of temps to train, and then fire most (if not all) the trainees out of nowhere in one fell swoop with ZERO warning or feedback throughout the process. It was wonderful waking up at 7:30AM only to get a call from accountemps saying there was no need for me to report to work, it's pretty cowardly and unethical in my own opinion, but Gallagher obviously has their own way of doing things.

Don't keep bringing on people if you don't have the capacity to train them. Don't appoint managers who are extremely busy with other stuff as the lead trainer, use someone who can actually watch over the trainees and answer their questions. Bringing on 7 people only to keep a couple of them (or even sometimes none of them) is entirely unethical and wastes everyone's time and money, especially when NO feedback is ever given to the students on how they're doing throughout the training process.

challenging and stressful job comes with rewards.

I have been working at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good pay, opportunity to move up in the company, benefits are great, including their 401k program.

Cons

Stressful, training isn't that great because everyone is busy, high workload, complex issues and high volume of work to handle on a tight schedule.

Keep rewarding those that do good work.

Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. Risk Management Services (BSD)

Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in Itasca, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in Itasca, IL

I have been working at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Depending on which office you work in and who you are working with team building plays a large part of the job. You will meet great people in this company.

The service systems are setup great if you're capable of teaching yourself how to use them (EPIC, CSR24, CSP etc.) Depending on your office failure to invest in a decent computer and internet connection will be the largest problem.

Benefits are decent. 401K (Matching is annual). If you smoke you will be charged $600/yr more on your insurance.

Cons

Let me preface this by pointing out that the majority of the company is old (meaning early 50's and above).

CSO Leadership failed. People who were put in charge are all great but they promoted the wrong people. The people in charge of making sure you know how to use the various service systems are unsure of themselves and frequently give inaccurate information. They are reading for a script that they have not even memorized. --- Company needs to seriously hire younger people from within to fill these rolls.

You have to accept that even though this is a publicly traded company there is no chance for meaningful promotion and or a pay raise. They use a "performance driven pay" system, offices are slotted pay raises by exceeding their "goals" by 20 / 30 and 35% each represent 2% raise 4% raise and 7% raise. Also year over year growth is expected to be approximately 12% so failure to get 32% growth will result in no pay increase. You also need to pass audit with a 91% or higher or you are disqualified from getting a pay raise. Pay attention to that last part because they will attempt to make your work load so heavy (with useless Professional Standards tasks) that one could not possibly accomplish this. -- It is a running joke that unless you're a Gallagher you have no chance to get promoted. The vast majority of office managers are cousins.

Producers -- get 30% commission for new business and 18% for renewal. - Almost everyone is from the Baby Boomer generation. I attend company sales meetings frequently and of the 100's that show up you may see 3 or 4 under the age of 35. The industry is like a massive frat house if you're one of the cool kids (baby boomers) great! If you're young the older people will attempt to steal as much of your business as they can while making you do all of the work. -- This is something I have heard repeated with alarming frequency.

They will tell you about the Gallagher Way, great set of ideas but no longer truly the companies identify. Any office that has less than 100 people I would suggest avoiding.

Almost all of your senior account managers are delegating their work loads to assistant account managers (who make about 40k/yr) which is why they all leave.

I have now worked in three offices and under 5 presidents over 10 years. Two of them have been some of the most motivating awesome people I have ever come across. The other three have been awful, two of which only last a few months and the most recent of which has no respect for his employees and or their careers. Several people have address this persons inability to perform their job with Human Resources and nothing has ever been resolved. Anyone that has 20 people quit on them while not being able to maintain more than 1 or 2 people through organic growth isn't fit to be an office president.

sales intern

Former Employee - Sales Intern in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Sales Intern in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

friendly, always willing to help, professional, meaningful assignments

Cons

none, was very pleased with summer internship

none

Tremendous potential, poor execution

I worked at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good resources, particularly ACA updates and support. Good Co-workers and corporate resource team.

Cons

Leadership can be weak and dysfunctional. No consistency in how office is managed.

Recognize that growth through acquisitions can create challenges in leadership when former business owner is responsible for the branch. An entrepreneur is not a good fit to run the day to day operations.

Long time employee

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule central location, close to freeway

Cons

agism; sexism; snobby. You won't get a promotion or raise unless you are under 30 or come from wealth & belong to a country club. Look at the pictures online, they are all young. There is no training except for the half dozen systems. Don't apply unless you want to be a data processor

Get back to being a customer service organization not a paper service organization. Recognize the value that experience brings to the bottom line. Train the managers and have them be just managers, not insurance agents too.

Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. Photos