Arthur J. Gallagher & Co.

www.ajg.com

Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. Reviews

Updated Jul 11, 2014

Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. Chairman, President, and CEO J. Patrick Gallagher Jr.

J. Patrick Gallagher Jr.

Pros
  • Good Environment, Best Work Life Balance (in 6 reviews)

• Some people can work from home, but you have to be a management favorite (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Some areas of the company do not have a good work/life balance (in 8 reviews)

• Outdated computer systems; constantly freezing or shutting down (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

A mixed bag

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSome branches have shorter hours or better perks, but it is strictly on branch by branch basis. A large company with potential to move to another branch if you are moving your family.

ConsThere are too many managers, especially at the regional level and up, who are not as competent as they should be, and they tend to hold the company back. Computer systems are extremely poor, slow, and antiquated. They keep a computer software working long past useful life. There seems to be no accountability; and people who do not work are not made to do so. Especially if they are in a protected class. This causes much additional work for the rest. They made a lot of effort this year to say they would attempt to properly compensate their top performers, but top performers weren't getting raises either.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is too much emphasis on acquiring revenue; rather than growing revenue from within or by managing current business effectively.

Career opportunities, but some dumb people in power, and they don't love the employee

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Larkspur, CA

ProsThere are definitely good opportunities for growth depending on which area of the organization you work in. I worked in a small field office with a great boss for Gallagher Benefit Services and mostly had a good experience. You get an opportunity to work with a lot of different people and that's very helpful for career and personal growth. Benefits were ok - not great - with the exception of the 401(k) plan because they have an awesome match.

ConsIvory tower headquarters sometimes would dictate incredibly unworkable and stupid plans to the field offices.

There are good people in the organization and there are also some incredibly lame ones. Never fun when the lame ones are in a position of authority and make really stupid decisions that impact everyone!!

One thing that bothered me was how willing Gallagher was to screw the employees if it meant pleasing the shareholders. (I imagine it's the same for all the large corporations?) When the economy tanked a few years back they stopped giving raises and they froze all holiday parties. The economy started recovering, stock prices started rising and then they still wouldn't give raises or let you have holiday parties. I can't tell you the # of lame "explanations" I heard from corporate leadership. They pushed as hard as they could without wanting to give back.

With all that said, I don't regret the 10 years I spent there. But I'm very glad to be at a smaller company now that values employees much more than Gallagher did.

Advice to Senior ManagementFor GBS, so much of your business is with the field offices...get their input before you let some practice leader sell you on an idea that you need the field offices to buy into in order for it to work.

Wonderful company with lots of growth and positive culture.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe company is a very positive place to work with lots of activity, growth through organic sales and acquisition, and generally a great place to work. The CEO is a wonderful guy with a very engaging style and is able to talk to any group and make them feel welcome and appreciated. The company is built on a core set of values that really drive their culture. I would like to work here again in the future.

ConsSome areas of the company do not have a good work/life balance. Depends on your manager (like a lot of places).

Advice to Senior ManagementNone.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A family owned company that has grown too quickly for management to handle.

Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) Charlotte, NC

ProsGenerally good atmosphere, managers prefer to leave you alone as long as there are no complaints.

ConsNo pay raises for over five years, yet they were always on a buying spree to grow the company. Training is nonexistent. Very little feedback to employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay some attention to your customers instead of your acquisition targets.

A large workload to carry

Senior Claims Adjuster (Current Employee)

ProsThey helped me advance my career as far as getting promotions and I am forever thankful for that. I have had some really wonderful supervisors here who were like mentors to me. A lot of my co-workers are really helpful and knowledgeable as well. I only have had one instance where taking off was an issue and that was a senior management blunder.

ConsMale chauvinism is definitely a huge problem. After several years at the company it is clear to me that a lot of the males in management positions should not be there. They don't care enough to make an impact. Some years I did not even get raises (same with a lot of others who were very deserving) and, to me, it is a crime to not cover inflation. And this is all while the company was doing well financially. One promotion I received didn't even come with the pay. I'm sure it is different in every branch as far as the workload but the particular branch I'm in has a lot of good adjusters leaving with no authority from corporate to replace them, thus saturating the adjusters that are left. I know a lot of adjusters that work at night and on the weekends that are telecommuters and it appears there is no relief in sight. The teleworkers sacrifice personal time just to ensure they can keep working from home since that is the threat if your work "escalates". Everything has the potential to escalate daily - diary, contact forms, tasks, detailed status reports. They also monitor email weekly. I find I have to take personal time to create lengthy coverage disclaimers or evaluate demand packages.

Advice to Senior ManagementEvaluate where each teleworker is at because if you actually knew what they go through, you would find it sickening. If they are working many additional hours just to manage their workload eventually they will get burned out. Replace people that leave and consider the nuances of each client from a qualitative perspective instead of looking at the numbers and assuming it is manageable. The branch I'm in feels like a sinking ship and morale is very very low.

Very Collaborative Firm, Too Many Acquisitions, Too Many Amateur Managers

Account Executive (Former Employee) Marlton, NJ

ProsSmart people abound in this company. Everyone is trying to find someone to solve their problem. You have 2 ways to get fed, be related to the Gallagher Clan in some way, or be part of a practice group. Happy I left this place behind.

ConsAcquisitions, acquisitions, acquisitions...dilutes the flavor of the company. I started working at Gallagher, but ended up working for another firm (because of an acquisition) that I would NEVER have worked for. Gallagher does not care about employees because they are always saying they made a ton of money, but they never have money for raises. Cheap, go figure. Firm promotes 'Most Ethical Company' Status, but that is a cover for all the shady politicking that goes on at this firm. Local management are wimps. Regional management stays behind the curtain and plays chess master with employees. Plays fast and loose for a public company. Benefits are sub-par for a firm of this size. Cheap, cheap cheap company....yet they make soooo much money. They talk culture, but its snow. Wall Street first....employees last.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management is making too much money to take advice.

10+ years of full time employment

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Denver, CO

ProsAttractive and well located local office. Professional staff (mostly) with sincere desire to serve clients despite significant obstacles from local, regional and national management.

ConsNo pay raise in 6 years! Ineffective and inequitable compensation system. Little or no local training. Local and regional management is ineffective, unengaged with the business and inconsistent. Overbearing corporate oversight. Staff morale extremely low. Very limited career paths for junior staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to establish high standards and stick to them without waffling. Employees need to get reasonable raises based on individual performance. Poor performers bring everyone down and need to be removed. Management needs to have client responsibilities in order to gain creditability with staff and not just sit in their offices issuing edicts..

Great Company but glass ceiling

Account Executive (Current Employee) Itasca, IL

ProsBenefits are great and the company values are sold. The history of AJG stands out amongst other brokerage firms. There are many specialized niches within AJG that allow you to become an industry expert. Great internship program.

ConsNo recognition of success from managers
    Getting a raise is difficult; even with a consistent sales record
    There is no encouragement to find employment opportunities within company which leads to high turnover.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate and recognize the younger account executives when they perform. That's your future. AJG spends a lot of money on developing talent but I feel like the majority leave after a few years and go to other companies that provide a more promising future.

good place to work

Prosgood place to start your career

Consslow at getting things processed

Needs improvement

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood people and culture at the local office

ConsManagement in the local office was unskilled and provided no real leadership or responsibility.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide more training and experience to management.

Worked for Arthur J. Gallagher & Co.? Contribute to the Community!