Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. Reviews

Reset

1. Manager

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Itasca, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Itasca, IL

Pros

Good work environment, pleasant co-workers and common goals.

Cons

Location in Itasca can result in a difficult commute.

Elaborate Scheme to Make a Few People Rich

Former Employee - Account Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very few. There are some strong managers, and good support people. Somewhat of an entrepreneurial feel.

Cons

This is an elaborate scheme (Arthur J. Gallagher & Co.) to make 200 or so Gallagher's or cousins of Gallagher's or the Gallagher's select few pets millions of dollars each year off the backs of their strained workforce. Good people left almost daily. The benefits were some of the worst I have ever had. 10 vacation days until you've worked 5 years? No 401(k) match for the 1st year, and then they drop the company match in a lump sum. Doesn't make saving for retirement easier. And finally, we had a saying at Gallagher.....unless you're one of the aforementioned groups (nepotism), you will never, ever get wealthy working for Gallagher. They won't allow it. Sure, you'll be comfortable but you could sell $3 million of P&C business and they'll find a way to give you $25k. If you are a high performer, my suggestion would be to look elsewhere. Gallagher won't recognize you, and your name will be Mudd when you leave. Gallagher has this strange cultural phenomenon. If you were a higher performer and you quit, senior leadership will badmouth you throughout the organization after your departure. I've never met someone who left Gallagher for a new opportunity and was considered a solid performer after their departure. You leave Gallagher = Gallagher is a woman scorned.

Advice to Management

You are in a moral hazard death spiral right now. You have 200 - 300 people in their late 50's - early 60's that are part of the stock option program (now closed to everyone) and their only intent is to pump up the stock price right before they retire. They will practice a scorched earth mentality to cash in on their stock options. We saw this on a daily basis. If you don't recognize that these "Boomers" are a moral hazard to your organization because of this, you don't need much advice. Wall Street should be very, very wary of a long position in AJG. In 10 years, the supposed talent will have retired and the new talent will have already left. It will be a shell of its former self. Also, the messaging from corporate to the branch offices verges on insanity. The directives we used to get from corporate could be a case study in a business school on what not to do in terms of internal corporate marketing. Oh, don't ask employees for their LinkedIn username and password. Not good.

Good company, growing industry

I have been working at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. full-time

Pros

Good management at the time. Really valued youthful employees by providing mentorship and guidance.

Cons

Sold the position as consulting, but in reality its more sales and brokering.

5. Sr. WC Adjuster

Pros

I can't say anything good

Cons

I won't say anything bad

6. AJGeeee

Current Employee - Vice President in Radnor, PA
    Current Employee - Vice President in Radnor, PA

I have been working at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The stock price keeps going up

Cons

The company values the robot mentality

7. It's claims

Pros

It's a good environment to work in. The people are great.

Cons

Work and life balance.

Steady growth, great coworkers, but not poised for the future...

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Houston, TX

I have been working at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Compared to other brokerage houses such as Willis, Lockton, USI, HUB etc, Gallagher probably has the best culture: relaxed environment, better staffed and understanding supervisors. Furthermore, Gallagher has a larger market share and thus, has greater recognition. Gallagher has dedicated resources such as Actuarial services, Underwriting department, Survey tools etc. These can be help the account management teams with their periodic deliverables. In my experience, Gallagher looks to employ new talent and then groom them for higher positions in the Account management ladder. This is relatively rare in the other competitors where the staff is often just an amalgamation of bodies to throw work at.

Cons

Gallagher is severely lacking in innovation: Internal benchmarking tools are few and far in-between. There is a dire need to develop internal resources that can help drive discussion with clients and prospects.

Advice to Management

Create internal resources like Towers Watson, Milliman and Mercer have or you will soon find yourself losing the larger clients to these competitors. Abandon SalesForce, it is just a hole in the ground that you are filling with money.

Former Employee - Producer in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Producer in Detroit, MI

I worked at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have nothing nice to say about this organization.

Cons

For a long term career, this is not the place to be. Too much nepotism. Management is more concerned with meeting goals from corporate. 60+ work weeks are the norm and there are no salary increases.

Advice to Management

This office needs to be cleaned up from the top. Management should focus more on business growth than personal gain. Furthermore, It’s hard to ignore the favoritism suffocating this office.

Gallagher Bassett Finance

Former Employee - Analyst in Itasca, IL
    Former Employee - Analyst in Itasca, IL

I worked at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There were a lot of great employees. A majority of the people that I worked with were pleasant and enjoyable to talk to. You could always strike a conversation and spend time getting to know new people. Nobody seems to track your browsing history, so if you look like you're working, you can just screw around all day reading articles and watching cat videos. as long as no-one can see your screen, you're good.

Cons

Just about everything else... Technology is way outdated. Upper management could care less about finance personnel. The general mentality is "Make it work for our client, regardless of how manual the process." No fixed yearly raise, you have to fight for it. No internal career growth. I spent more than a year there, and saw 5 manager positions get filled from external hiring. No bonus for finance people, which makes it that much harder to process all the bonuses for the sales team.

Advice to Management

Promote from within. There is much talent on the working floor. Stop hiring from CNA. Don't be stingy with pay. You can't tell the team that finance was under budget by a mil and then not increase pay....

Entry Level, don't expect much

Current Employee - Institutional Investment and Fiduciary Services Analyst in Washington, DC

I have been working at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Work with smart people. - Opportunity to learn, - Working to build up the group, - Changing for the better, - Great starter job in the investment industry,

Cons

- Some of the AVP have absolute no respect for the analyst, treating us like data analyst, and thinking they are much better than us, - Salary is 30-40% below industry average, they know that but that doesn't change anything, - Environment is absolutely toxic, - Weekly analyst meeting that just focus on what we aren't doing well, - Super analysts "supervisors" who don't do anything except delegate work and make spreadsheets that no one uses. No one really knows what she does, - Half the analysts are constantly looking for new jobs because how horrible it is with pay and environment,

Advice to Management

- Compensate employees fairly to retain talent - Ask analyst to rate consultants because not only is a consultants job to retain clients but also to retain their team,

RSS Feed </> Embed