Arthur J. Gallagher & Co.

www.ajg.com
  www.ajg.com

Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. Reviews

Updated September 17, 2014
Updated September 17, 2014
2.9

Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. Chairman, President, and CEO J. Patrick Gallagher Jr.
J. Patrick Gallagher Jr.

Pros
  • Good Environment, Best Work Life Balance (in 6 reviews)

• Some people can work from home, but you have to be a management favorite (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Some areas of the company do not have a good work/life balance (in 8 reviews)

• Outdated computer systems; constantly freezing or shutting down (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Good Company, Bad Management, Worse Benefits

Former Employee - Account Manager  in  Itasca, IL
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Itasca, IL

I worked at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Lots of resources, still has an entrepreneurial feel, room to grow, stable industry, possible to specialize in many different areas

Cons

The company does not value its employees. All perks disappeared during the great recession but never reappeared. The benefits are terrible. Health plan is so cheap, retirement plan is a joke (+5 years vesting, company match is not competitve), and PTO time is 10 days for the first 5 years! 10 days! Work-life balance is terrible.

Improve the benefits program or you'll never attract new talent and this will affect / hurt growth in the future. Maybe decide to actually follow the Gallagher Way you brag about so much. Have any of you read it recently?

Seem to be constantly downsizing, not a lot of strategic planning.

I worked at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co.

Pros

Access to lots of a carriers

Cons

Morale is not great and communication poor.

Sell to a firm that has enlightened approach to its people.

10+ years of full time employment

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Attractive and well located local office. Professional staff (mostly) with sincere desire to serve clients despite significant obstacles from local, regional and national management.

Cons

No pay raise in 6 years! Ineffective and inequitable compensation system. Little or no local training. Local and regional management is ineffective, unengaged with the business and inconsistent. Overbearing corporate oversight. Staff morale extremely low. Very limited career paths for junior staff.

Management needs to establish high standards and stick to them without waffling. Employees need to get reasonable raises based on individual performance. Poor performers bring everyone down and need to be removed. Management needs to have client responsibilities in order to gain creditability with staff and not just sit in their offices issuing edicts..

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Career opportunities, but some dumb people in power, and they don't love the employee

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Larkspur, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Larkspur, CA

I worked at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

There are definitely good opportunities for growth depending on which area of the organization you work in. I worked in a small field office with a great boss for Gallagher Benefit Services and mostly had a good experience. You get an opportunity to work with a lot of different people and that's very helpful for career and personal growth. Benefits were ok - not great - with the exception of the 401(k) plan because they have an awesome match.

Cons

Ivory tower headquarters sometimes would dictate incredibly unworkable and stupid plans to the field offices.

There are good people in the organization and there are also some incredibly lame ones. Never fun when the lame ones are in a position of authority and make really stupid decisions that impact everyone!!

One thing that bothered me was how willing Gallagher was to screw the employees if it meant pleasing the shareholders. (I imagine it's the same for all the large corporations?) When the economy tanked a few years back they stopped giving raises and they froze all holiday parties. The economy started recovering, stock prices started rising and then they still wouldn't give raises or let you have holiday parties. I can't tell you the # of lame "explanations" I heard from corporate leadership. They pushed as hard as they could without wanting to give back.

With all that said, I don't regret the 10 years I spent there. But I'm very glad to be at a smaller company now that values employees much more than Gallagher did.

For GBS, so much of your business is with the field offices...get their input before you let some practice leader sell you on an idea that you need the field offices to buy into in order for it to work.

Wonderful company with lots of growth and positive culture.

I worked at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co.

Pros

The company is a very positive place to work with lots of activity, growth through organic sales and acquisition, and generally a great place to work. The CEO is a wonderful guy with a very engaging style and is able to talk to any group and make them feel welcome and appreciated. The company is built on a core set of values that really drive their culture. I would like to work here again in the future.

Cons

Some areas of the company do not have a good work/life balance. Depends on your manager (like a lot of places).

None.

A family owned company that has grown too quickly for management to handle.

Former Employee - Claims Adjuster  in  Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Claims Adjuster in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Generally good atmosphere, managers prefer to leave you alone as long as there are no complaints.

Cons

No pay raises for over five years, yet they were always on a buying spree to grow the company. Training is nonexistent. Very little feedback to employees.

Pay some attention to your customers instead of your acquisition targets.

good place to work

I have been working at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co.

Pros

good place to start your career

Cons

slow at getting things processed

A large workload to carry

Current Employee - Senior Claims Adjuster
    Current Employee - Senior Claims Adjuster

I have been working at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

They helped me advance my career as far as getting promotions and I am forever thankful for that. I have had some really wonderful supervisors here who were like mentors to me. A lot of my co-workers are really helpful and knowledgeable as well. I only have had one instance where taking off was an issue and that was a senior management blunder.

Cons

Male chauvinism is definitely a huge problem. After several years at the company it is clear to me that a lot of the males in management positions should not be there. They don't care enough to make an impact. Some years I did not even get raises (same with a lot of others who were very deserving) and, to me, it is a crime to not cover inflation. And this is all while the company was doing well financially. One promotion I received didn't even come with the pay. I'm sure it is different in every branch as far as the workload but the particular branch I'm in has a lot of good adjusters leaving with no authority from corporate to replace them, thus saturating the adjusters that are left. I know a lot of adjusters that work at night and on the weekends that are telecommuters and it appears there is no relief in sight. The teleworkers sacrifice personal time just to ensure they can keep working from home since that is the threat if your work "escalates". Everything has the potential to escalate daily - diary, contact forms, tasks, detailed status reports. They also monitor email weekly. I find I have to take personal time to create lengthy coverage disclaimers or evaluate demand packages.

Evaluate where each teleworker is at because if you actually knew what they go through, you would find it sickening. If they are working many additional hours just to manage their workload eventually they will get burned out. Replace people that leave and consider the nuances of each client from a qualitative perspective instead of looking at the numbers and assuming it is manageable. The branch I'm in feels like a sinking ship and morale is very very low.

Needs improvement

I worked at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good people and culture at the local office

Cons

Management in the local office was unskilled and provided no real leadership or responsibility.

Provide more training and experience to management.

Very Collaborative Firm, Too Many Acquisitions, Too Many Amateur Managers

Former Employee - Account Executive  in  Marlton, NJ
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Marlton, NJ

I worked at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Smart people abound in this company. Everyone is trying to find someone to solve their problem. You have 2 ways to get fed, be related to the Gallagher Clan in some way, or be part of a practice group. Happy I left this place behind.

Cons

Acquisitions, acquisitions, acquisitions...dilutes the flavor of the company. I started working at Gallagher, but ended up working for another firm (because of an acquisition) that I would NEVER have worked for. Gallagher does not care about employees because they are always saying they made a ton of money, but they never have money for raises. Cheap, go figure. Firm promotes 'Most Ethical Company' Status, but that is a cover for all the shady politicking that goes on at this firm. Local management are wimps. Regional management stays behind the curtain and plays chess master with employees. Plays fast and loose for a public company. Benefits are sub-par for a firm of this size. Cheap, cheap cheap company....yet they make soooo much money. They talk culture, but its snow. Wall Street first....employees last.

Upper management is making too much money to take advice.

Worked for Arthur J. Gallagher & Co.? Contribute to the Community!