Arthur J. Gallagher & Co.

www.ajg.com

Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. Reviews

Updated Jul 11, 2014

Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. Chairman, President, and CEO J. Patrick Gallagher Jr.

J. Patrick Gallagher Jr.

Pros
  • Good Environment, Best Work Life Balance (in 6 reviews)

• Some people can work from home, but you have to be a management favorite (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Some areas of the company do not have a good work/life balance (in 8 reviews)

• Outdated computer systems; constantly freezing or shutting down (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Probably above average for large US broker/consultants

Consulting/Compliance (Current Employee)

ProsOpportunities exist for self-starters. Don't wait for management or anyone else show your career path. If you go to work there, take time to learn how the company operates, really before starting out on your own career path. The extent to which you succeed will be largely based on your ability to see a need and fill it, while doing what is expected of you. The company is large, geographically dispersed and it's regions are led by very different people. In many ways, your success will depend on your location and the division. Definitely not a place to be nurtured.

ConsOverall, the cons of this organization really depend on your division and your location. Being the right gender doesn't hurt either. The biggest con is the lack of management accountability.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet out of your bubble and start finding out what's really going on in some areas of the company, significant areas. Every once in a while acknowledge the flaws and what the company is doing to address them. No companies perfect, and trying to pretend that you are only makes the employees skeptical about what they're being told.

Awesome company to work for!

Account Manager (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsGreat corporate culture and great group of people!

ConsNo cons to speak of.

Gallagher Bassett

ProsThe people I manage are wonderful and hard working

ConsSenior management is significantly disconnected from their employees

Advice to Senior ManagementStop the micro management and move to a towards a more balanced work-life environment

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Company!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Itasca, IL

ProsGreat company to work for, everyone is helpful and encourages each other to grow.

ConsThere truly are no cons for this company. If you fit in with the culture and you work hard, the opportunities at Gallagher are limitless.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone!

Medical only adjuster

Claims Adjuster (Current Employee) Colorado Springs, CO

ProsGood hours, average pay and a solid company.

ConsNot much room for advancement.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide more opportunities for people to advance.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

If you are not a producer, most likely you are out of luck for career advance.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsTrainings and benefits and career opportunity if you are a producer

ConsTrying to hard to copy competitor's style

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep talented employees.

High stress, Horrible Management

ProsThere isn't a single pro I can think of here except maybe the experience I gained to find a new job.

ConsManagement plays favorites, there are cliques not teams, the pay sucks the work atmosphere is crap. Training is horrid and even if you are told "don't be afraid to ask questions" you may as well just not bother asking as after you are told once what to do you ought to know by now exactly what to do.

Great Internship Experience at AJG

Brokerage Services Intern (Former Employee) Itasca, IL

ProsGreat exposure as an intern. You get a feel for all of the divisions AJG operates which helps to decide which one you would prefer to work in if given an offer. Excellent support system and mentorship program as well.

ConsYou don't get many assignments to complete on your own. You are more or less just shadowing the daily lives of employees. The one assignment you get is the Sales Challenge which is pretty exciting.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive interns more opportunity to prove themselves and get experience on the job

Great place

ProsGreat environment, great staff, great vibe

ConsToo much driving! That's it!

Family feel in a fortune 1000 company.

Account Manager (Former Employee) Itasca, IL

ProsPeople are very friendly and generally professional.

ConsRaises are every other year.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprovement needed in company wide communication

Worked for Arthur J. Gallagher & Co.? Contribute to the Community!