Arthur J. Gallagher & Co.

www.ajg.com
  www.ajg.com

Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. Reviews

Updated September 26, 2014
Updated September 26, 2014
2.9

Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. Chairman, President, and CEO J. Patrick Gallagher Jr.
J. Patrick Gallagher Jr.

Pros
  • Good Environment, Best Work Life Balance (in 6 reviews)

• Some people can work from home, but you have to be a management favorite (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Some areas of the company do not have a good work/life balance (in 8 reviews)

• Outdated computer systems; constantly freezing or shutting down (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

good place to work

I have been working at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co.

Pros

good place to start your career

Cons

slow at getting things processed

A large workload to carry

Current Employee - Senior Claims Adjuster
    Current Employee - Senior Claims Adjuster

I have been working at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

They helped me advance my career as far as getting promotions and I am forever thankful for that. I have had some really wonderful supervisors here who were like mentors to me. A lot of my co-workers are really helpful and knowledgeable as well. I only have had one instance where taking off was an issue and that was a senior management blunder.

Cons

Male chauvinism is definitely a huge problem. After several years at the company it is clear to me that a lot of the males in management positions should not be there. They don't care enough to make an impact. Some years I did not even get raises (same with a lot of others who were very deserving) and, to me, it is a crime to not cover inflation. And this is all while the company was doing well financially. One promotion I received didn't even come with the pay. I'm sure it is different in every branch as far as the workload but the particular branch I'm in has a lot of good adjusters leaving with no authority from corporate to replace them, thus saturating the adjusters that are left. I know a lot of adjusters that work at night and on the weekends that are telecommuters and it appears there is no relief in sight. The teleworkers sacrifice personal time just to ensure they can keep working from home since that is the threat if your work "escalates". Everything has the potential to escalate daily - diary, contact forms, tasks, detailed status reports. They also monitor email weekly. I find I have to take personal time to create lengthy coverage disclaimers or evaluate demand packages.

Evaluate where each teleworker is at because if you actually knew what they go through, you would find it sickening. If they are working many additional hours just to manage their workload eventually they will get burned out. Replace people that leave and consider the nuances of each client from a qualitative perspective instead of looking at the numbers and assuming it is manageable. The branch I'm in feels like a sinking ship and morale is very very low.

Needs improvement

I worked at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good people and culture at the local office

Cons

Management in the local office was unskilled and provided no real leadership or responsibility.

Provide more training and experience to management.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very Collaborative Firm, Too Many Acquisitions, Too Many Amateur Managers

Former Employee - Account Executive  in  Marlton, NJ
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Marlton, NJ

I worked at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Smart people abound in this company. Everyone is trying to find someone to solve their problem. You have 2 ways to get fed, be related to the Gallagher Clan in some way, or be part of a practice group. Happy I left this place behind.

Cons

Acquisitions, acquisitions, acquisitions...dilutes the flavor of the company. I started working at Gallagher, but ended up working for another firm (because of an acquisition) that I would NEVER have worked for. Gallagher does not care about employees because they are always saying they made a ton of money, but they never have money for raises. Cheap, go figure. Firm promotes 'Most Ethical Company' Status, but that is a cover for all the shady politicking that goes on at this firm. Local management are wimps. Regional management stays behind the curtain and plays chess master with employees. Plays fast and loose for a public company. Benefits are sub-par for a firm of this size. Cheap, cheap cheap company....yet they make soooo much money. They talk culture, but its snow. Wall Street first....employees last.

Upper management is making too much money to take advice.

Probably above average for large US broker/consultants

Current Employee - Consulting/Compliance
    Current Employee - Consulting/Compliance

I have been working at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Opportunities exist for self-starters. Don't wait for management or anyone else show your career path. If you go to work there, take time to learn how the company operates, really before starting out on your own career path. The extent to which you succeed will be largely based on your ability to see a need and fill it, while doing what is expected of you. The company is large, geographically dispersed and it's regions are led by very different people. In many ways, your success will depend on your location and the division. Definitely not a place to be nurtured.

Cons

Overall, the cons of this organization really depend on your division and your location. Being the right gender doesn't hurt either. The biggest con is the lack of management accountability.

Get out of your bubble and start finding out what's really going on in some areas of the company, significant areas. Every once in a while acknowledge the flaws and what the company is doing to address them. No companies perfect, and trying to pretend that you are only makes the employees skeptical about what they're being told.

Awesome company to work for!

Current Employee - Account Manager  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. full-time

Pros

Great corporate culture and great group of people!

Cons

No cons to speak of.

Gallagher Bassett

I have been working at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co.

Pros

The people I manage are wonderful and hard working

Cons

Senior management is significantly disconnected from their employees

Stop the micro management and move to a towards a more balanced work-life environment

Great Company!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Itasca, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Itasca, IL

I have been working at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great company to work for, everyone is helpful and encourages each other to grow.

Cons

There truly are no cons for this company. If you fit in with the culture and you work hard, the opportunities at Gallagher are limitless.

None!

Medical only adjuster

Current Employee - Claims Adjuster  in  Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Claims Adjuster in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good hours, average pay and a solid company.

Cons

Not much room for advancement.

Provide more opportunities for people to advance.

If you are not a producer, most likely you are out of luck for career advance.

I worked at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Trainings and benefits and career opportunity if you are a producer

Cons

Trying to hard to copy competitor's style

Keep talented employees.

Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. Photos

Worked for Arthur J. Gallagher & Co.? Contribute to the Community!