Arthur J. Gallagher & Co.

www.ajg.com
  www.ajg.com

Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. Reviews

Updated September 26, 2014
Updated September 26, 2014
2.9

Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. Chairman, President, and CEO J. Patrick Gallagher Jr.
J. Patrick Gallagher Jr.

Pros
  • Good Environment, Best Work Life Balance (in 6 reviews)

• Some people can work from home, but you have to be a management favorite (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Some areas of the company do not have a good work/life balance (in 8 reviews)

• Outdated computer systems; constantly freezing or shutting down (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

High stress, Horrible Management

I have been working at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co.

Pros

There isn't a single pro I can think of here except maybe the experience I gained to find a new job.

Cons

Management plays favorites, there are cliques not teams, the pay sucks the work atmosphere is crap. Training is horrid and even if you are told "don't be afraid to ask questions" you may as well just not bother asking as after you are told once what to do you ought to know by now exactly what to do.

Great place

I have been working at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co.

Pros

Great environment, great staff, great vibe

Cons

Too much driving! That's it!

Great Internship Experience at AJG

Former Employee - Brokerage Services Intern  in  Itasca, IL
    Former Employee - Brokerage Services Intern in Itasca, IL

I worked at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Great exposure as an intern. You get a feel for all of the divisions AJG operates which helps to decide which one you would prefer to work in if given an offer. Excellent support system and mentorship program as well.

Cons

You don't get many assignments to complete on your own. You are more or less just shadowing the daily lives of employees. The one assignment you get is the Sales Challenge which is pretty exciting.

Give interns more opportunity to prove themselves and get experience on the job

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Family feel in a fortune 1000 company.

Former Employee - Account Manager  in  Itasca, IL
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Itasca, IL

I worked at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

People are very friendly and generally professional.

Cons

Raises are every other year.

Improvement needed in company wide communication

Worst company I ever worked for. Internal audit head reviewed emails just because their findings were questioned.

Former Employee - Financial Controls Manager
    Former Employee - Financial Controls Manager

I worked at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. full-time for more than a year

Pros

It is a growing company as they are constantly acquiring small insurance agencies.

Cons

Corporate management is more interested in form over substance.

Clean up your books. Sometimes it is easier to write-off balances and save money in the long run instead of spending time and effort researching historical items.

I loved my job and my company until Arthur J. Gallagher purchased us.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

This would be a good company for a person seeking to get professional experience.

Cons

If you are very experienced in your field get ready to be under valued, under paid, and yet squeezed for everything they can get out of you. On the one hand they can't do without you. On the other you are told you're worth very little.

Wake up and see who is really do the work and what work adds real value. It's not just producers by a long shot.

Worst job of my life

Former Employee - Claims Adjuster  in  Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Claims Adjuster in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. full-time for less than a year

Pros

There were no pros to this job. I had worked as a Claims Adjuster for a few years before coming to this company. I didn't last long here.

Cons

I felt unwelcome as soon as I started. All of my co-workers outside of 1 were rude, not helpful in any way and acted as though they wished I wasn't there. I later found out it was because they were all aware that I was being paid more than they were before I started. Pretty sure that is something that shouldn't be disclosed to other employees.

Favoritism ran wild at the OKC office. There was another individual who was promoted to adjuster at the same time they hired me for the same job. On a daily basis I was given 5-7 times the workload of this person as they were buddy buddy with the department manager. This person was incompetent and never should have been promoted in the first place. Constantly asked me questions and I basically ended up doing their work on top of mine. They had gotten in trouble with the law, couldn't show up on time etc. etc. but none of that mattered.

I took two part-time jobs that I was WAY over qualified for just to get out of there. I have warned multiple people about working at this place.

Look into how your OKC office is being run. The management was terrible and mostly non-existent. Hopefully in the time since I left, some of that has changed.

I met some great people, that's all!

Former Employee - Senior Claims Adjuster  in  Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Senior Claims Adjuster in Tampa, FL

I worked at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- There were many opportunities for continued education.
    - We were allowed a flexible schedule. However, it was removed without warning.

Cons

- There are not many opportunities for advancement.
    - The morale was so low that the company had to come up with events to boost the spirit of
       the employees.
    - The company lacks technology. They are still trying to become a paperless company.
    - The benefits are not great. The vacation days are limited.
    - Raises are little to non-existent.

- Get to know the people who work for you. We're people, not robots. There is no reason why an adjuster who is scheduled to get off around 5:00 pm, leaves after 8:00 p.m. almost every night.

A collaborative environment with some of the most talented and experienced people in the industry.

Current Employee - Senior Consultant  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

A great culture and people who care deeply about their business and are invested in each associates success. Tremendous resources that can be leveraged for virtually any client need. Strong training and career development programs.

Cons

A large and somewhat fragmented organization due to their M&A growth strategy. Poor communication and coordination between business units.

Communicate key corporate objectives and long term stratgey more frequently.

The Jury is Still Out

Current Employee - Administration  in  Short Hills, NJ
    Current Employee - Administration in Short Hills, NJ

Pros

Can't rate this as yet.

Cons

I work at a recently acquired firm. We are their largest M&A to date. They may have been fine with typical small agencies, but they seem lost with one our size. We were 400 person agency with an IT department, accounting and HR and while I've met some nice people some are blithering idiots in this situation. It doesn't help that part of their accounting is in India and couple that with much of the transition work relegated to temps it makes for a fragrant cesspool stew. Few people have been spoken to as to their futures so hopefully things improve by year's end. Otherwise I'll have a winter vacation.

Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. Photos

Worked for Arthur J. Gallagher & Co.? Contribute to the Community!