Arthur Murray Dance Centers

Employment Status

Reset
3.1
John Kimmins

1. Best Studio to Learn How to Dance!

Former Employee - Manager & Dance Specialist in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Manager & Dance Specialist in Tampa, FL

I worked at Arthur Murray Dance Centers full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I loved every aspect of being a part of the Arthur Murray Dance family. I've met so many amazing individuals and got to travel to so many places throughout my years with Arthur Murray. I would highly recommend this company to anyone looking to take some dance lessons.

Cons

Depending on the area you live in, lessons could get quite pricey, however always keep in mind that besides the 45 minute dance lessons, you also have access to group classes and practice parties which really are worth every penny invested.

Advice to Management

Considering I was their manager, I wouldn't be able to give myself any advice.

2. Fun job

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

I have been working at Arthur Murray Dance Centers full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Fun job. Great company. They truly want the best for their students and instructors. They train daily on business and dance techniques. If you're successful, they will help you open your own studio.

Cons

Late hours. Difficult to have a life outside of the studio, especially with someone who does not dance. It is definitely a lifestyle and is easy to lose focus of your personal life.

Advice to Management

I think its important to be realistic with your expectations of employees and what they can and cannot offer.

Long hours. No overtime

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Merrillville, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Merrillville, IN

Pros

Learning the dances are fun

Cons

Franchisee expects you to have the same passion about HIS business as him! Wake up! Our paychecks will never look the same!!!!

Advice to Management

This place is a joke. It's all about sales. I'm surprised anyone learns how to dance here. more than half of the 45 min lesson is reviewing and talking to gain your client's trust. Maybe 10 to 15 mins of actual new moves and that's it. Not to mention the outrageous prices they charge. Which goes straight to the franchisee. These places can rake in a lot of cash. Instructors are not compensated properly. Btw, I'm speaking of the merrillville Indiana franchise. The franchisee hired me, mind you that their ad for hiring said no experience needed, but I did have several years of previous dance experience. Sold me a dream, and after about 6 weeks let me go because he found another instructor who was already at the bronze level. But I thought you said no experience necessary??? After leaving a long time job making over 50000 a year, I was a little more than upset about it. They restrict what you can teach students, and all of the students learn what's right from a book (syllabus). It's really not worth the money as a student. Btw, when u spend all that money on the competitions, your competing in a closed circuit which means all judges are from other Arthur Murray franchises! dont get me wrong, there is some truly amazing dancers in the organization, but it takes at least 4-5 years to get to an intermediate level. If your very young(18-26) this may be a good career for you. But I'd say take the training and become a freelance instructor. You'll make way more money that way. That's if you just really want to teach without the high pressure sales tactics.

Dancing changed my life and it allows me to make a difference in the lives of everyone else I come in contact with.

Current Employee - Supervisor
    Current Employee - Supervisor

I have been working at Arthur Murray Dance Centers full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Amazing training opportunities and an immense sense of community and family. A great organization that truly understands that people are not just a number. The lives that have been enriched through dancing makes the job so worthwhile. The opportunities for advancement are only limited by my imagination and determination.

Cons

The first year or two requires some sacrifice for most staff as they come in unskilled for the most part and take some time to build a steady clientele, but the sacrifice is worthwhile in the long run.

6. Love every min

Current Employee - Teacher in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Teacher in Dallas, TX

Pros

This is a great place to work hard and be rewarded for it. This isn't a normal corporate job were no one cares and no one knows you. Even people at other studios know who you are...

Cons

There is usually a lot of weekend work, so be prepared, and it's certainly not a clock in, clock job

7. My experience with Arthur Murray Dance Centers was a great one. I got to meet and work with variety of people.

Current Employee - Arthur Murray Dance Instructor in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Arthur Murray Dance Instructor in Pittsburgh, PA

Pros

They teach you how to dance, good for networking

Cons

No room to grow, low base salary, no benefits, worked almost every holiday

Arthur Murray in Schaumburg, IL is not the place to become an instructor if you have no experience.

Pros

The Friday Night Parties, Special Events are rewarding & building relationships with students.

Cons

If your considering on becoming an instrutor part-time. Think again because you will not meet the expectations they have for u to become an instrutor. Becoming an instrutor with no experience maybe a better fit for a college student or someone who has a lot of extra time on their hands. Only because it maybe hard for u to find time to practice on your own, outside of Arthur Murray depending on the time you get out of work if you have a full-time job but you're looking for part-time job to do for fun. I got out of work at 5pm every day M-F, & so I only had weekends to look forward to for practice. You hardly practice when your at Arthur Murray, when u go in for training you'll learn a new dance instead of reviewing/practicing what u learned the day before. They train u for free to become an instructor & training is all over the place, its a bunch of mumbo jumbo. One minute you could be learning the foxtrot (for the very 1st time) & the next half hour your learning the Tango with a different instructor instead of picking up where u left off, which was learning the foxtrot. They rush u through training with the hopes of you learning all dances (both male & female roles) in a week! Which is very unrealistic! The owner of this location will beat your confidence down & belittle you if you're not meeting their expectations in a week. Which is very unrealistic if you don't have any ballroom experience! Everyone who works at Arthur Murray says that the owner (who is one of the managers) has a language barrier which is why the owner may come across harsh or very insensitive. To me it's everyone making excuses for the owner and it's a scapegoat to clean up the owners mess from his ignorent, narrow minded, and insensitive self. Which is probably why there is such a big turn over rate with dance instructors. You wouldn't know this about the owner because the owner is quite a charmer when it comes to the students that are paying for lessons! Note: It's a lot of hard work to become an instructor, the expectation's for an instructor vs. a student are very high! There are 10 dances to learn during training, however your 1st day in training you'll probably be shown like 6 dances, which is why the training is a bunch of mumble jumble. All the dances u need to learn for both male & female steps, have a total of 6 different steps. You must learn both roles (male & female) so that u can teach any student that walks in for lessons or work with any couple that comes in for lessons. You also have to be comfortable with choreography, just in case a student wants u to create a dance for their wedding or something special they have coming up. You have to be a good talker too & be able to convenience new students to buy lessons! If a new student or couple walks out, without buying lessons; you will be questioned & you better be able to explain yourself/have a good reason.

If you want to properly learn ballroom dancing this is NOT a good fit for you.....

Current Employee - Dance Instructor
    Current Employee - Dance Instructor

Pros

Honestly, there's nothing positive to say about this business.

Cons

1) The majority of instructors do NOT have a dance background, so the training you'll be getting will be haphazard. 2) And for what you're getting it is incredibly expensive.

Advice to Management

Hire people with dance experience.

fun job, low pay, big time committment

Former Employee - Instructor
    Former Employee - Instructor

Pros

fun, free lessons. nice people, great exercise if you teach daily

Cons

low pay, training is much better from a competing dancer/couple than in studio. As an instructor you only think you are getting good. You are learning social not competitive dancing. focused on extreme psychological manipulation of students. they have no secrets not shared with whole staff daily.

Advice to Management

none. you won't change

Love & Hate. Two strong forces. Current employee.. 4 yrs.

Current Employee - Teacher
    Current Employee - Teacher

Pros

Dancing all day! Meeting exciting people. Sales training.

Cons

Crap pay but expected to be dressed in the nines everyday? U have a beard? Go shave? Management will tell you go put on more makeup. Working 45+ hours I've made roughly 34k this year. Once a month we have gala parties and a club night out. Where the students party with us until 12am. No extra pay. Its to "build bond with students". If u want a day off. Need a doctored note and they guilt you into coming in anyway, comparing u to other teachers. Raises are a joke here. U put in work, hire coaches to train you out of your own money (barely do the coaches work individually with teachers, when paid for by the franchisee.) Just to get a dollar raise. Hard work doesn't pay off in this job. Hard work shows u work hard so they give you more hard work without compensation. If you are a trained dancer? Expect little to no real training besides videos and handbooks. Coaches come in and MAYBE bless you with one new concept for you to obsess over. Its all money and sales and the franchisees will do whatever possible to become the best studio. Even at the cost of their employees. Work hours are 1-10pm. No option for part time. You MUST be fulltime. No room for part time. They want full devotion.

Advice to Management

More pay. More recognition. More humility. 1-10pm plus addition overtimes hours for events and weekends for events without additional pay. (If no students show up to the event to dance with u) u get like 50$ saying thank u for coming and working. No real incentive cause we barely see commission. I don't recommend this job.

RSS Feed </> Embed