Aruba Networks

Aruba Networks Reviews

Updated Apr 12, 2014

Aruba Networks Chairman, President, and CEO Dominic P. Orr

Dominic P. Orr

Pros:
  • "Great technology, actual leadership in the market that makes easy to sell"
    in 6 reviews
  • "There are great people there who want to help one out"
    in 4 reviews
Cons:
  • "no work life balance, too much politics in management"
    in 4 reviews
  • "Like any other small company, it will burn you if you dont know how to balance work and life"
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Not a fun place to work - a real grind ....

Member of Technical Staff (Former Employee)

I worked at Aruba Networks full-time for more than 5 years

ProsSolid technology; diversified global customer install base.

ConsVery poor Executive leadership; lack of vision - what does being "... the biggest small company mean?"

Overall poor employee moral due to lack of incentives and especially lacking in career growth opportunities.

There's an internal 'expectation' of working almost 24x7 - very difficult to balance work-life with home-life. Hi employee turn-over is common as a result.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider a change in leadership at some high-end levels.

Great Performing company, horrible internal structure

I have been working at Aruba Networks full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat performing company. Pays well but comes with a cost

ConsLong hours and over worked. Company is hiring one too many "Directors" who delegate the work. Horrible internal structure. Was a great company a few years back but new management is destroying the internal vibe. Too many big headed folks coming in. The company praises "smallest biggest company" but is anything but that. Basically one big mess

Advice to Senior ManagementThink twice before hiring upper management. Help out the employees who are doing the grunt work. Create a better atmosphere within.

Aruba is an absolute mess and disappointment.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Aruba Networks

ProsGood product, good food in the cafeteria, decent location, but not a lot of real talent doing anything productive.

ConsExecutive management is oblivious to how things actually are at lover levels withing the organization. Lower level managers are lazy, unproductive, uncreative, and just hanging out to enjoy the "free ride". Sales operations team is completely clueless, internal systems, tools, and processes are antiquated & outdated. Nobody wants to own up and make things better. People are more concerned with politics and double talk than really trying to make a difference. They hire unqualified people and promote them based on how well they can kiss up as opposed to the quality of their work. Low integrity, no morals, a complete and utterly ridiculous bait and switch... at least the product is good. Don't get me wrong there are a lot of great people there too (the worker ants) but most of the ones with power below director level are absolutely clueless. Its like a very bad episode of Beverly Hills 90210.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake your heads out of the sand and really take a long hard look at the people in your organization. Figure out which ones add value and which ones are just along for the ride. People who deliver results and actually care are more important than all of the fakers blowing smoke and trying to pretend that they are actually working while fluffing up the numbers and affecting your ability to forecast properly. Laziness and faking it and pretending to work are a disease and it is terribly sad to see a company with such great products employ such worthless people who are just happy to milk it and get by rather than actually make a positive difference.

Enterprise centric employer

Director (Current Employee)
Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Aruba Networks full-time for less than a year

ProsMarket leader in WiFi technology

ConsNo patience for service provider market place

Advice to Senior ManagementThe opportunity for service providers takes more commitment and patience than you all have shown you are capable of.

Poor middle management is a historical problem that never gets resolved.

I have been working at Aruba Networks full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGenerous equity compensation; flexible work schedule

ConsFrequent change of management and company direction/strategy. In terms of hiring and promotion, this company swings from one extreme to another. I've witnessed a bunch of director level employees let go because of complaints that they don't do enough work. Then those positions are filled with the most hardworking individual who has zero management skills and don't know how to build a team, how to delegate, how to scale the work, commanding every work details to their personal taste at the sacrifice of their direct reports happiness without real improvements in the quality of work products. The end result is that the company is still suffering talent retention issue.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain the people you want to promote to management role before you actually promote them; part of the reviews for people managers need to come from his/her direct reports.

Everything except technology

Software Engineer (Current Employee)
Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Aruba Networks full-time for more than a year

ProsI have to really think about it so I guess there is nothing outstanding anymore. On second thought, work from home is acceptable to extreme limits where fortunate ones need to show up once a week.

ConsToo much of work but the rewards depends on the personal equation with management. Lots of talk can take you place. Good place if you can talk well.

Technical Staff Engineer (Former)

Member of Technical Staff II (Former Employee)
Bangalore (India)

I worked at Aruba Networks full-time for more than a year

Pros40% hike is given to outside guys but not to inside guys. importance is given to each employee.

Conspolitics in a small company. Specially Bengali people are lots of .... Hires wipro people mostly with cheap price. Politiics is too much..........

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not hire based upon salary ...hire think based upon knowledge........... plus decision dont take wtever u like.......think a lot......all are selfish for their performance upper level.

Disorganized Young Company

Intern (Former Employee)
Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Aruba Networks as an intern for less than a year

ProsGet to work with some interesting stuff and the employee perks are not too bad

ConsSome of the supervisors are limited in their knowledge and the don't have great teams.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow people (new and senior) to add input to new products. Also, hire people for particular jobs and stop trusting other companies with the projects (stop outsourcing projects, aka pcb layout and design).

Great potential but reactive and sales driven

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Aruba Networks full-time for more than a year

ProsExecutive management has their finger on the pulse of the industry and know where the company should be going
Wireless and mobile are hot spaces ready for innovation and growth
Financials of the company are strong
Top employees are highly rewarded.

ConsInnovation is stifled by a never-ending parade of fire drills to add new features to make one potential customer happy.
Engineering management lacks the ability to realistically plan
Workload is very high and recognition for success is only financial

Advice to Senior ManagementHire experienced engineering managers at all levels to realistically plan and execute on release cycles. Develop programs to publicly recognize success and innovation in addition to financial rewards. Explicitly and publicly assign roles and responsibilities so everyone know their job and how it fits into the entire company.

Can be fun for a while, but eventually wears you down

Product Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Aruba Networks full-time for more than 5 years

ProsPeople genuinely have a positive attitude and a desire to make great products and make Aruba a great company to work for. There are opportunities to be involved at all levels working on very exciting projects. All executives are extremely approachable even if the outcome may not be what you want. Flexible holidays.

ConsEver changing company strategy, repeating the same mistakes, no money for critical resources but plenty to waste on other things. Some people with big job titles and very little quality output (not unique to Aruba I know). Limited career growth in my experience, happens by accident rather than by design.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in a new IT organization and the underlying systems. So much valuable time and effort is wasted using legacy technology or due to poor implementation of current technology. Practice what you preach about the biggest small company or abandon the term. Listen to your key employees, reward them for doing things the right way versus always rewarding the people that clean up the mess when things go wrong.

Worked for Aruba Networks? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Aruba Networks reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Aruba Networks CEO Dominic P. Orr. All 65 reviews posted anonymously by Aruba Networks employees.