Arup

Updated March 6, 2015
Updated March 6, 2015
3.7

Greg Hodkinson

Pros
  • Generally management is concerned about work life balance and do a good job in communicating that to the employees (in 13 reviews)

• Great people, culture and high profile projects (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • There is fake sense of work life balance (in 5 reviews)

• Hard to believe the behavior of upper management is tolerated (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Structural Engineering

I have been working at Arup

Pros

The projects are the reason to work there.

Cons

There is no understand of how the management works
    Conniving People

Learn how to manage

Great workplace, not always enough to do

Former Intern - Intern in New York, NY
    Former Intern - Intern in New York, NY

I worked at Arup as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

- Tremendously effective and positive work environment
    - Top-notch talent, very self-motivated
    - Frequent lunches, breakfasts, and social events
    - Good work-life balance (40 hrs/wk usually)

Cons

- Not always enough work to be done. Work is frequently contingent upon clients
    - Consulting environment and billable-hours format makes mentoring difficult

- Offer more engineering education and presentations during times of reduced workload

Good company, if not a little silo'd

Former Employee - Graphic Designer in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Graphic Designer in London, England (UK)

I worked at Arup full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits and great people

Cons

Unrealistic deadlines, salaries could be higher considering the scope of the companys income

With a company of this size, you need to keep a tighter leash on everything, as each department seems like its unrelated to the next

Application process

Former Employee - Public Safety Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Public Safety Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Arup

Pros

Has great benefits, Fair salary, good working environment.

Cons

The upper management are not necessarily the most considerate of your needs. They over work you and when your in the application process if you have anything on your record and you are given an offer you will be given an offer and benifits and you will sign the paper work before getting a background check. If you have anything on your background check you or anything negative on you credit report the company will take back the offer and you will lose your job opportunity after given all this hope.

9 years of my life wasted

Former Employee - Senior Structural Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Structural Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Arup (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great Projects (after the fact)
    some smart people (who are abused)
    Some really hard workers (who are also abused)
    A great place to build up your résumé get your PE and move on with your life!!!

Cons

Some managers are horrible and have no idea what they are doing. They sugar coat everything. They are all full of BS. Arup is dysfunctional to say the least

You guys are horrible wastes of life. Think about the employees lives. Not about getting a bigger profit share.

Benefits of working for a corporation without most disadvantages of it.

I have been working at Arup full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Arup's specific ownership structure (no profit reported to outside shareholders) makes it a naturally employee oriented firm, with a developed sense of community, broad employee benefits and career development opportunities, including international assignments and other lateral move options.

Cons

Personal and career growth opportunities may be limited for non-technical staff. There may also be a general perception for non-project staff to be second-category citizens, regardless of their experience, education and value, just because they are not engineers.
    The salaries are below competitive compared to similar positions in similar firms, although for many it is balanced out by benefits and friendly work environment.

The company might be missing an opportunity to grow its business by having brightest people running its business management side, i.e. legal, marketing, HR, knowledge management, process improvement etc., by underestimating the role of talent in those areas. The competitive pay, training and career development opportunities are key here. Assuming that only engineers can run the world has not been bringing impressive results lately.

Creative, technically excellent and innovative company

Current Employee - Structural Engineer in Melbourne (Australia)
    Current Employee - Structural Engineer in Melbourne (Australia)

I have been working at Arup full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I have had a fantastic experience at Arup at several of our East Asia/Australasian offices.

I highly respect my colleagues, who bring bright ideas with out-of-the-box thinking. There is strong investment in internal research, sharing best-practices on our intranet and you are always sitting next to a few people smarter than you. International placements abound if you want them, especially for engineer/senior engineer levels (in 5 yrs since graduating I've already worked for Arup in 3 countries). Chance to contribute to iconic, award winning projects. Uniquely lively environment for such a big company which is willing to take risks and give young talented staff responsibilities. Management take care of their staff and the company is filled with those who have been with Arup for 20+ years - frequently people rejoin after working for others for a few years.

Cons

Not too much to grumble about, but pay is mediocre. Financial discipline on projects can be a bit lacking at times.

Continue to invest in technical excellence, organic growth, and taking on challenging/risky projects where our innovative staff can shine.

Great People but Slow Progression and Low Job Satisfaction

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Arup full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The office culture is great. You are pretty much guaranteed to make friends there if you are a social person. This is the best part of working at Arup. The relationships you gain here, both professional and personal, are very valuable. They are very talented people working at this company, globally.

Internships are paid very well, and usually turn into full-time positions.

Learning and growing is encouraged. The benefits are generous and the career development is clearly defined. Paid overtime until you reach a certain grade is nice bonus.

Cons

You will work hard, and you will mostly not be thanked. While my personal boss was a lovely person, the final say is in the hands of more senior staff. There are some really awful people in high positions who are ungrateful, unprofessional, and unapproachable—the type who people unanimously hate working for or with.

The pay is not competitive with others in the industry. Arup takes advantage of the decision between working for a big name or working for higher pay. Many young staff choose Arup because of opportunity, and then leave to make more money. Sometimes they return later on in their careers when they can make more. The progression is very slow and strategic, which seems to be their idea of "fair" (not an American company).

Work/life balance is not great. Lots of overtime that is not worth your sanity. The engineers really slave away for many many hours. Unless you're in non-marketing central services, you are pretty much expected to work as many hours as it takes.

Start saying thank you. Start recognizing those who are working the hardest and those who are simply taking the credit.

structural engineering

I have been working at Arup

Pros

big company, with structural organization
    good compensation

Cons

relative low salary
    busy with many OT

Good work-life balance, not the best salaries

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bristol, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bristol, England (UK)

I have been working at Arup full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Arup is owned by the people, and that is very much reflected in the culture. My work-life balance is respected, and there is a relatively flexible approach towards flexible working hours, providing you pull your weight. I can imagine it may differ per function, but certainly in my department, it feels good. Unfortunately, I am on a maternity cover and there is still no definite answer as to whether my role will become permanent or not, although hints of it. I think Arup is very open minded when it comes to women in business, and promotes employing women. Arup seems to be the kind of company that doesn't want to complicate matters, and is therefore open to job shares, and working part-time for mothers. 25 days holiday is generous, and that is complimented by the 10 days you can take unpaid. That and the flexible benefit allowance that you can spend on extra holiday days, or the green car scheme for example. The pension scheme at Arup is incredibly competitive.

Cons

The salaries at Arup are notoriously low, I have heard from engineers and consultants that they are being hassled to do the same job elsewhere with 10-15k over what they currently earn. I have however heard, that the culture at these kind of places is much more high pressured, so I guess it depends what floats your boat. I took a pay cut to come here, and unsure how quickly they might consider raising my salary. Cons also include the range of benefits, as great as they are, are not available to FTC staff, which is a real shame, and feels a bit unfair.

Keep doing what you are doing, it seems to be working. Offer flexible benefits for FTC staff, they work hard too, so shouldn't just be pushed to the side.