Arup

Updated January 27, 2015
Updated January 27, 2015
3.7

Greg Hodkinson

Pros
  • Generally management is concerned about work life balance and do a good job in communicating that to the employees (in 13 reviews)

• Great people, culture and high profile projects (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • There is fake sense of work life balance (in 5 reviews)

• Hard to believe the behavior of upper management is tolerated (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Great projects, bad management, low-pay

Current Employee - Designer
    Current Employee - Designer

I have been working at Arup full-time

Pros

The projects we work on are always really interesting, and the opportunities to travel around the world to different offices are amazing.

Cons

Salary is lower than all competitors, a distinct lack of training, a lot of bureaucratic nonsense regarding career growth and even general day to day needs.

Big company, odd means of doing business

I have been working at Arup full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great place to learn, awesome projects. Benefits are good, meaning insurance and others. Cool offices. Some really nice people.

Cons

Work life balance is a joke, but much worse in the UK where they expect overtime (16 hour days sometimes) with no compensation. Some true savants good at their job but should never be in management. Echoing what others say, you have to be British or in the A club to get promoted, and it's nasty what some folks do, which is obvious to most, and still get promoted. There is a reason all the real talent leaves after 3-5 years.

Get off your pompous butts and give credit where it's due. Stop making work life and diversity statements you don't follow up on. Get better BD folks with a clue on how to do things. Enable the younger folk, stop driving them into the dirt and riding their backs to get all the credit.

Medical Technologist

Current Employee - Medical Te
    Current Employee - Medical Te

I have been working at Arup full-time

Pros

Things used to be really great when the company was voted as one of the top companies to work for. This was under the old CEO. Old CEO was great to work with. Work moral was great.

Cons

When new CEO was changed, things got to be a little tight with the budget.

Company moral needs to boost up. Promotions need to be to people that deserves it and not because of favoritism.

Joke of a company

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Arup full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits. Location was pretty good.

Cons

Some of the worst people I've ever worked with. Leadership in the US is joke and the company can't seem to win any projects. The people have been there forever and don't value anyone with new ideas. Arup USA can't win any real projects and I can't see it being an employer of choice moving forward. Very low salaries and the profit share is not competitive no matter what they tell you. They try and hire very cheap labor and keep them for as long as they can. Look elsewhere.

Pretty Enjoyable

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Arup full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits are average, but you can get paid overtime so that helps a lot when working a lot. Lots of good career building and defining projects to work on.

Cons

Things are duplicated across regions, and this could be taken advantage of to be more profitable on projects. People are not promoted based on merit as much as they should be.

Discuss with coworkers on the projects things that you think would be helpful to increase profitability on each project.

Solid and steady

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Arup full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

If you want to gain experience right out of college before moving onto another more promising company with a more upwardly mobile career, then this is the place to start.

Cons

Stodgy, linear thinking was often the default way of approaching problems. It's also a male dominated business model with sprinklings of women and minorities in upper management to satisfy the law's requirement for "diversity and inclusion."

Major changes in the past few years

Current Employee - Designer in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Designer in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Arup full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Arup has the recognition and does lots of large scale projects. You will learn tons working here. S

Cons

I've lowered my rating for Arup and this is due to the people working here. Arup in LA probably doubled in size. Fine but I feel it didn't give people a chance to really bond. Also there are a few folks that put down the work of others trying their best and few extremely lazy people. Walk around and you will consistently see the same person sketching and watching videos.

We all know who this person is but he continues to defy termination.

Don't listen to complaints by non workers. Sometimes they complain about others the most to justify their lazyness. Reward hard workers. There are lots of them too and they often get passed over for promotion.

Amazing experience!

Former Employee - Graduate Engineer
    Former Employee - Graduate Engineer

I worked at Arup full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Highly qualified staff from all over the world. Cutting edge designs and the progress path is very well set out so that you have an excellent balance of field work, design and education. Each member of our team was from a a different part of the world.

Cons

Average salary, but other than that every thing is great. Perhaps include an exercise facility for staff.

Some low level managers are causing good junior staff to leave

Fantastic Company, Projects, People

Current Employee - Graduate Electrical Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Graduate Electrical Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Arup full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Get to work on projects located on every continent. Amazing 401(k) plan, and the global profit share is pretty great.

Cons

I get the sense that Buildings MEP is somewhat of an afterthought-the 'favorite child' is Structural/Civil, in the context of big infrastructure projects. Also Transportation, Urban Planning, and building visualization tend to get most of the fanfare. That might just be the case at the New York office, though.

More transparency regarding where project funding is coming from, and the political landscape underlying what we're doing. There have been more than a few projects where we're told to stop working and have no idea why, until the reason drifts down the grapevine.

Mechanical Engineer

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Washington, DC

I have been working at Arup full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Cool projects and smart people

Cons

Salary is comparable to other companies within the industry. Not necessarily a con, but limitations on salary are a reality.