Arup

Updated December 17, 2014
Updated December 17, 2014
3.5

Greg Hodkinson

Pros
  • Generally management is concerned about work life balance and do a good job in communicating that to the employees (in 13 reviews)

• Great people, culture and high profile projects (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • There is fake sense of work life balance (in 5 reviews)

• Hard to believe the behavior of upper management is tolerated (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Medical Technologist

Current Employee - Medical Te
    Current Employee - Medical Te

I have been working at Arup full-time

Pros

Things used to be really great when the company was voted as one of the top companies to work for. This was under the old CEO. Old CEO was great to work with. Work moral was great.

Cons

When new CEO was changed, things got to be a little tight with the budget.

Company moral needs to boost up. Promotions need to be to people that deserves it and not because of favoritism.

Pretty Enjoyable

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Arup full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits are average, but you can get paid overtime so that helps a lot when working a lot. Lots of good career building and defining projects to work on.

Cons

Things are duplicated across regions, and this could be taken advantage of to be more profitable on projects. People are not promoted based on merit as much as they should be.

Discuss with coworkers on the projects things that you think would be helpful to increase profitability on each project.

Solid and steady

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Arup full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

If you want to gain experience right out of college before moving onto another more promising company with a more upwardly mobile career, then this is the place to start.

Cons

Stodgy, linear thinking was often the default way of approaching problems. It's also a male dominated business model with sprinklings of women and minorities in upper management to satisfy the law's requirement for "diversity and inclusion."

Major changes in the past few years

Current Employee - Designer in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Designer in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Arup full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Arup has the recognition and does lots of large scale projects. You will learn tons working here. S

Cons

I've lowered my rating for Arup and this is due to the people working here. Arup in LA probably doubled in size. Fine but I feel it didn't give people a chance to really bond. Also there are a few folks that put down the work of others trying their best and few extremely lazy people. Walk around and you will consistently see the same person sketching and watching videos.

We all know who this person is but he continues to defy termination.

Don't listen to complaints by non workers. Sometimes they complain about others the most to justify their lazyness. Reward hard workers. There are lots of them too and they often get passed over for promotion.

Amazing experience!

Former Employee - Graduate Engineer
    Former Employee - Graduate Engineer

I worked at Arup full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Highly qualified staff from all over the world. Cutting edge designs and the progress path is very well set out so that you have an excellent balance of field work, design and education. Each member of our team was from a a different part of the world.

Cons

Average salary, but other than that every thing is great. Perhaps include an exercise facility for staff.

Some low level managers are causing good junior staff to leave

Fantastic Company, Projects, People

Current Employee - Graduate Electrical Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Graduate Electrical Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Arup full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Get to work on projects located on every continent. Amazing 401(k) plan, and the global profit share is pretty great.

Cons

I get the sense that Buildings MEP is somewhat of an afterthought-the 'favorite child' is Structural/Civil, in the context of big infrastructure projects. Also Transportation, Urban Planning, and building visualization tend to get most of the fanfare. That might just be the case at the New York office, though.

More transparency regarding where project funding is coming from, and the political landscape underlying what we're doing. There have been more than a few projects where we're told to stop working and have no idea why, until the reason drifts down the grapevine.

Mechanical Engineer

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Washington, DC

I have been working at Arup full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Cool projects and smart people

Cons

Salary is comparable to other companies within the industry. Not necessarily a con, but limitations on salary are a reality.

Sound company, lacks balance for employees

I have been working at Arup

Pros

Most employees here take pride in their work and try to do the best job possible. There is what I feel to be genuine concern from high-level management to deliver projects that make the world a better place (environmentally sound, socially responsible).

Cons

They expect a high level of results out of their employees which is good, but it tends to drift over into pressure to "wow" and "amaze" that leads to stress. The extra hours and pressure tend to thwart creativity more than they enable it.

It's ok to promote and reward excellence, but acknowledge that occasionally employees may need to just do the job they were hired to do due to outside interests (family, education, issues they may not wish to share with their employer).

Great people, great company

Former Employee - Structural Engineer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Structural Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at Arup full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

At Arup, you have the opportunity to work on the most amazing projects in the industry. The people are brilliant, your ideas are valued, and you feel like you can actually make a difference.

Cons

It's a big company, and there's a bit of bureaucracy in terms of promotions, staffing, paperwork, etc. The hours can be a bit tough at times too, but they ebb and flow.

Friendly Working Environment

I have been working at Arup full-time

Pros

It was an enjoyable place to work and people were very friendly. There is a large variety of projects and you can find yourself with unexpected but interesting opportunities.

Cons

They do not do a very good job of clearly setting forth their expectations for individual employees and the yearly goals set can be highly subjective and ambiguous. Also, when the company hit hard times it started letting people go in ways that just skirted the edge of the law. I am sure that they were entirely legal in how they were carried out but just barely.

Set clearly attainable and straightforward goals so employees can see a clear pathway forwards within the company.