Asbury Automotive Reviews

Asbury Automotive President and CEO Craig T. Monaghan
Craig T. Monaghan

1. Featured Review

My personal experience within Asbury Automotive Group

I have been working at Asbury Automotive full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The reason why I love my position is the people. I've grown with them professionally and learned more about them personally during the past 2 years at the Nalley Lexus-Galleria location. The service managers are excellent leading our department in the direction of positive successful business practices. The benefits are good in terms of 401k, insurance, dental, and vision. The way our service department provides some of the best customer service in the South East territory, and the group that I work with are passionate about it. We all make it fun and interesting where there is never a dull day. The people I work with on a daily basis is like a second family to me. It's a pleasure to work the long hours that I do and still be motivated to do what is it that I do, while still having fun.

Cons

It can be stressful at times. But all jobs involve some amount of stress. It's not easy being a service consultant, and it takes a certain kind of personality to do it effectively and efficiently.

2. Sales focused, but results based and rewarding of results.

Current Employee - Lube Tech in Little Rock, AR
    Current Employee - Lube Tech in Little Rock, AR

I have been working at Asbury Automotive full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Results based pay and raises for hourly employees.
    No micromanagement from supervisors.
    Frequent visits from multi-location supervisors who want to ensure success.

Cons

Lack of benefits. As a commission based industry automotive employers have very poor benefits.
    Fiefdoms for supervisors. Supervisors can create processes that profit for themselves at the expense of their subordinates.

Advice to Management

Asbury is exactly what one would expect from a large auto dealer company.

3. Sales Copsultant

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Asbury Automotive full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very Big Company. Lots of training available, Good place to work. Very organized and looks like there is room for advancement.

Cons

Hours are grueling. 70+ hours/week for the salespersons, and for the managers is even worst. no family time whatsoever.

5. Typical car industry business

I worked at Asbury Automotive

Pros

Good Experience on resume. Was enjoyable to learn about the car industry.

Cons

Very High turnover rate within company and between each dealership. At my particular dealership the leadership was working to rebuild both sales and service department. Drove a lot of people to quite. Asbury also has been outsourcing almost every position which left quite a few people jobless very suddenly.

6. Sales

I worked at Asbury Automotive (More than a year)

Pros

Good Benefits Nice facilities. THATS IT!

Cons

IF you've been in the auto industry and have worked for real dealers DO NOT WORK for Asbury. Management lies to there staff. Your money is ALWAYS wrong. they will never tell you what you made until the end of the month and it's always wrong. They love green peas anyone with any experience should never work for this company. Complete dictatorship and no teamwork what so ever. Highest turnover I've ever seen in this business. No room for growth at all unless you're a young kid that is willing to be paid nothing for a year to advance. Worst money I've ever made in this business.

Advice to Management

Stop talking down to your employees. Stop telling your sales staff it's none of their business what they made.

7. Great stepping stone for gaining experience in a corporate environment but no career growth or pay increases.

I have been working at Asbury Automotive full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Extremely fast-paced environment that will allow you to gain a lot of experience in a short period of time. Non-corporate employees receive regular pay increases and promotions. Most GMs and managers genuinely care about their employees. Career development and growth opportunities and better pay for non-corporate employees.

Cons

No growth potential or career development for corporate employees. Increasing work loads with no increase in compensation for corporate employees. No performance reviews or pay increases for corporate employees. Benefits are expensive with subpar coverage. PTO allowance is far below corporate standards. Not consistent in the implementation of policies.

what they say about car dealers is true, don't trust them

Former Employee - Sales and Leasing Consultant in Palm Harbor, FL
    Former Employee - Sales and Leasing Consultant in Palm Harbor, FL

I worked at Asbury Automotive

Pros

Learned what tricks to look out for when buying a car. Did meet some nice folks that quit faster than I did. Learned a hard lesson.

Cons

No concern for staff, excessive hours for no pay, they will always find a way to not pay you. Expect you to lie to customers. Expected to make calls to people that are sick of being called by the same dealer for months or even years. No honesty in management.

Advice to Management

Start going to church. Worst culture I have ever heard of. Consider how you would feel if your family was treated how you treat staff and customers.

9. Overall, it was a very interesting working experience.

Former Employee - Compliance Associate in Fayetteville, NC
    Former Employee - Compliance Associate in Fayetteville, NC

I worked at Asbury Automotive full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I'll just say that it was a good learning experience to take from my 3 years with the company.

Cons

I'd rather not get into details about that.

Advice to Management

I'd rather not get into this one either.

10. The Best in the Automotive Business

Current Employee - Service Director in Greenville, SC
    Current Employee - Service Director in Greenville, SC

I have been working at Asbury Automotive

Pros

You get out of this company and business what you put into it. I have been with a few different automotive groups and Asbury is by far the best one I have had the opportunity to be associated with. You have the support that you need and the wealth of knowledge that can only come from being with a large company, however; you feel like you are working in a smaller dealership where all of the employees have a real interest in its success. All of the management and dealer principles are happy to share their expertise and help each dealership grow. The company does a great job of finding out what works, and sharing that with each dealership so everyone wins. The workplace is competitive and rewards are based on individual merit, not who you know or how long you have been with the company.

Cons

The greatest challenge is just being a part of the automotive business in general. Each day is a new day and you have to be able to press the reset button every morning before work. You can only celebrate your sucess for a short moment because you have to do it all over again tomorrow and the next month.

Advice to Management

Continue to put an emphasis on employee retention. Small things go a long way and it is important to our bottom line that we retain, promote, coach, and grow our talent pool.

11. Great place to work!!

Current Employee - GENERAL SALES MANAGER in Marietta, GA
    Current Employee - GENERAL SALES MANAGER in Marietta, GA

I have been working at Asbury Automotive full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The management team is very fair and provide an excellent place to work. I feel that it is a company that offers mobility.

Cons

I have no complaints. I have been there for over three years and the good merits far outweigh the bad merits.