Asbury Automotive

3.7

Asbury Automotive President and CEO Craig T. Monaghan
Craig T. Monaghan

My personal experience within Asbury Automotive Group

I have been working at Asbury Automotive full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The reason why I love my position is the people. I've grown with them professionally and learned more about them personally during the past 2 years at the Nalley Lexus-Galleria location. The service managers are excellent leading our department in the direction of positive successful business practices. The benefits are good in terms of 401k, insurance, dental, and vision. The way our service department provides some of the best customer service in the South East territory, and the group that I work with are passionate about it. We all make it fun and interesting where there is never a dull day. The people I work with on a daily basis is like a second family to me. It's a pleasure to work the long hours that I do and still be motivated to do what is it that I do, while still having fun.

Cons

It can be stressful at times. But all jobs involve some amount of stress. It's not easy being a service consultant, and it takes a certain kind of personality to do it effectively and efficiently.

Overall, it was a very interesting working experience.

Former Employee - Compliance Associate in Fayetteville, NC
    Former Employee - Compliance Associate in Fayetteville, NC

I worked at Asbury Automotive full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I'll just say that it was a good learning experience to take from my 3 years with the company.

Cons

I'd rather not get into details about that.

I'd rather not get into this one either.

The Best in the Automotive Business

Current Employee - Service Director in Greenville, SC
    Current Employee - Service Director in Greenville, SC

I have been working at Asbury Automotive

Pros

You get out of this company and business what you put into it. I have been with a few different automotive groups and Asbury is by far the best one I have had the opportunity to be associated with. You have the support that you need and the wealth of knowledge that can only come from being with a large company, however; you feel like you are working in a smaller dealership where all of the employees have a real interest in its success. All of the management and dealer principles are happy to share their expertise and help each dealership grow. The company does a great job of finding out what works, and sharing that with each dealership so everyone wins. The workplace is competitive and rewards are based on individual merit, not who you know or how long you have been with the company.

Cons

The greatest challenge is just being a part of the automotive business in general. Each day is a new day and you have to be able to press the reset button every morning before work. You can only celebrate your sucess for a short moment because you have to do it all over again tomorrow and the next month.

Continue to put an emphasis on employee retention. Small things go a long way and it is important to our bottom line that we retain, promote, coach, and grow our talent pool.

Great place to work!!

Current Employee - GENERAL SALES MANAGER in Marietta, GA
    Current Employee - GENERAL SALES MANAGER in Marietta, GA

I have been working at Asbury Automotive full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The management team is very fair and provide an excellent place to work. I feel that it is a company that offers mobility.

Cons

I have no complaints. I have been there for over three years and the good merits far outweigh the bad merits.

A Place to Work if You Want a Real Career

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Duluth, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Duluth, GA

I have been working at Asbury Automotive full-time (less than a year)

Pros

This company is all about promoting from within and developing their own staff. They do outside training, seminars, and team building often. They let you take on new tasks.

Cons

The benefits are not the best. No allotted sick days. The days must come out of your PTO. Other than that, really no complaints.

Sometimes I wish management was more clear about the way they want their staff to act. I wish the guidelines were a little more exact this way the staff would be more professional.

good way to learn

I worked at Asbury Automotive

Pros

experience in car sales, interesting job

Cons

very long hours, pay scale not very employee-friendly

remember that employees do have a life outside of work.

The most enormously rewarding and challenging position I've ever held - bar none

Current Employee - Manager In Training in Greenville, SC
    Current Employee - Manager In Training in Greenville, SC

I have been working at Asbury Automotive full-time (less than a year)

Pros

-Literally limitless opportunity to excel in diverse leadership, operations, sales, and management roles.
    -A corporate culture that values and rewards success like no other. Asbury is never scared to
    -Unparalleled advancement opportunities in the MIT program and outside of it.
    -Advancement and respect based on hard work and talent, NOT seniority. Hard work is recognized here like nowhere else.
    -Fortune 500 structure and organization combines the best aspects of working for a large corporation with the best aspects of working for a self-contained local organization.
    -Amazing co-workers and managers - enormous wealth of knowledge to draw from.
    -Outrageous income opportunity - work extremely hard, put in the effort, and the financial rewards are incredible.
    -Extremely professionally fulfilling career opportunities.
    -Flexible structure of the MIT program, rotations, and advancement allows for lucrative futures for any professional interest within the industry, from sales to fixed operations.

Cons

-To be upfront, if working a lot of hours is a con for you, this is NOT the job for you. You cannot succeed in the industry overall and ESPECIALLY in the MIT program without extreme dedication. Get ready to work late nights and Saturdays. Honestly, if you're the kind of person that is willing to commit fully to your own success and the success of your organization, this will not be a con for you. Being chosen for a position in the MIT program is an honor and an enormous opportunity, and that comes with the expectation that you will be a shining example of professionalism, great attitude, and drive 24/7/365.

Typical Corporation

I worked at Asbury Automotive

Pros

Good amount of authorized overtime, good employee discounts

Cons

Expensive insurance, always looking to cut costs starting with employees

Listen to your support employees, don't go by what management "represents their employees as."

If you want to actually make money in auto sales look elsewhere.

Former Employee - Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Sales Representative

I worked at Asbury Automotive full-time (less than a year)

Pros

high turnover and a lot of room for advancement if your willing to relocate.

Cons

micromanaged and low compensation per unit.

make money on the front too.

Started entry level sales, moved to corporate position within a year

I have been working at Asbury Automotive

Pros

Working in sales, you make big money in commission. The people were friendly and like family, considering it was a straight commission atmosphere, which is usually a hostile, back-stabbing one. The company likes to promote from within and recognizes talent when they see it. You also get health benefits and paid time off.

Cons

When in sales, you have to work nights, weekends, and holidays. You also must put in at least 50-60 hours per week to be successful. Some employees are whiny and there may be a considerable amount of favoritism shown towards others.

Be fair with house deals. It's not fair to give them solely to one person all of the time and begins to look suspicious.