Ascend Analytics Reviews

• Part-time
Employment Status

Reset
Gary Dorris, Ph.D.

1. Great opportunities to work with the biggest and best players in the energy industry.

Former Employee - Senior Energy Analyst in Boulder, CO
    Former Employee - Senior Energy Analyst in Boulder, CO

I worked at Ascend Analytics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Ascend provides exceptional opportunity to grow professionally and foster a strong career in the energy industry. You get great opportunities to work with the biggest and best players in the energy industry. I continued to advance and realize strong salary growth as the company grew rapidly. Relative to other companies, I could not imagine more autonomy, upside career growth, and learning more than working any place other than Ascend.

Cons

I found some of the client security requirements a pain. The level of sign-off and permissions required for promotions was onerous. I also found some of the technology choices very main stream for a company that prided itself on innovation. My head would hurt from trying to solve some of the problems.

Advice to Management

I thought the company could have been more ambitious with its growth plans to acquire customers and growth the capabilities of the software.

2. Exemplary opportunity for energy analytic experts

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Boulder, CO
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Boulder, CO

I have been working at Ascend Analytics full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Opportunity for upward movement, opportunity for closing proximity working with C-level of company, flexible and creative environment, fascinating problems to solve in a burgeoning sector, location, location, location, multi-locational offices in CA, CO, MT, NE. Large opportunity for direct contact with top staff at various utilities, IPPs & energy consulting services.

Cons

Standard benefits (health & retirement)

Advice to Management

Have more consistency with annual company meetings and vision.

Lots of Responsibility, lots of crazy

Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Boulder, CO
    Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Boulder, CO

I worked at Ascend Analytics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good place to live. Interesting work. decent work-life balance but can go through spurts with stressful over-allocation. Good place to learn a lot about energy business, about SAS and software.

Cons

C-Level officers have little perspective and are not entirely forthright or honest with employees or clients. Will over-promise and ride the backs of employees to attempt to deliver on the deadlines. I believe that some of these positive reviews were written by management, since there are no 5-year senior analysts in the Boulder office-- no one ever lasts that long.

5. Good experience, fast advancement

Current Employee - Software Developer in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Ascend Analytics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've worked as a software developer at Ascend for over two years and my experience has been very positive. The people here are super friendly and generally pretty helpful. The work varies between routine assignments and bigger projects. Over time I've seen my responsibilities and project assignments grow, and they (management) are pretty good about recognition and handing out raises. Since there are a lot of different projects to work on, you get to collaborate with various other people in the company and not always the same group. The work environment is very flexible, they ask you to work certain hours in the office, but after my first year they let me work from home whenever I wanted or take time off as long as I made it up.

Cons

It's kind of sink or swim here. My manager doesn't give me a whole lot of attention, and you kind of have to learn who knows what and where to go to get your questions answered. That worked fine for me but I know other people who got frustrated and quit. The flip side is you get a lot of autonomy on how to do your job.

6. A Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Senior Developer in Boulder, CO
    Current Employee - Senior Developer in Boulder, CO

I have been working at Ascend Analytics full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Ascend is a growing company tackling challenging problems. Individuals who are self-starters, have a strong interest in financial modeling of electricity markets and enjoy using software tools on a daily basis will thrive. Employees are quickly given a lot of responsibility. Friendly coworkers, challenging work and flexible work arrangements make Ascend a great place to work.

Cons

More training should be offered to new employees to help smooth the onboarding process. Greater collaboration between departments would be beneficial.

7. Good Work Environment and Great Team

I have been working at Ascend Analytics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great coworkers, flexible scheduling, ability to learn and grow with highly educated and skilled professionals. You will learn a great deal, Ascend has good pay and a reasonable rate of advancing. You will always have something to do and learn at Ascend.

Cons

Must be self-motivated and self-reliant to find success at Ascend. The team at Ascend are all highly intelligent and skilled. This paired with the vast amount of information and knowledge base it is easy to feel overwhelmed. However, if you can communicate and are ready for a challenge the team at Ascend is happy to help guide you in finding your niche.

Demoralizing work environment

Pros

The employees (not the older executives and their failing business model) are this company's greatest asset and should be recognized as such. There are intelligent and hardworking people here who are genuine and helpful to each other. Employees who work together care for each other and are willing to jump onto another project if needed.

Cons

I also agree with the 09/16/2014 review that some of the other reviews have been written by (or at the behest of) management. I would guess that at least 2-3 of them were fabricated. Ascend Analytics is a place where cronyism - a "yes-man" culture - is rewarded. The management style is generally inconsistent, being either totally hands-off or micromanaging. Employees receive little to no structured training, and they often start off feeling overwhelmed and are given unrealistic expectations for deadlines. Unfortunately, many of them are hardworking but have little room for advancement in such a small, specialized niche. Ascend occasionally sells software licenses to premier energy and utility companies whose Resource Planning, Credit, and Financial Risk departments usually find the models too complex and/or in constant need of debugging. This problem, coupled with the management team's hiring decisions which are not usually based on the actual needs of the company, has created little to no financial scalability and a perpetually at-risk business model. Deceitful and unethical business practices are rewarded and regularly practiced by senior management. Most employees have witnessed in-fighting and bickering between senior executives, so there is not really a sense of shared purpose or vision. The company is likely hovering on the brink of financial collapse, but employees receive skewed and vague reports regarding the financial health and prospects of the company. The CEO's focus continues to be on pennies instead of pounds, and "thrifty" decisions are often made without consideration of long-term consequences, often at the expense of employee satisfaction and continued positive relationships with customers. Management markets a good work/life balance, but there is little real understanding of this. Employees will frequently be called/emailed while on vacation, at home on weekends, or at lunch, with managers expecting an immediate response and becoming visibly, audibly, or otherwise frustrated if they do not receive one. Certain comments made by the CEO to employees are essentially chauvinism, sexism, and racism masqueraded as sensitive, progressive understanding. Both a serious cultural change and a reconfiguration within C-level management are necessary if this company wants to succeed.

Advice to Management

If only senior management would recognize the value in their current employees, take their employees' suggestions seriously, and learn how to work together as a management team, then the company would have a chance to thrive.

Poor decision making

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

Pros

The location was great, I learned a lot of skills, and most of the people in the company were very smart and easy to get along with. There was a lot of potential to do great work. Employees generally were given a lot of independence and treated well.

Cons

Some of the most important decisions about the company's direction were either mismanaged or avoided entirely. The worst part was when lower level employees had to take the flack for decisions made by upper management. We also were perpetually behind on every project I ever worked on.

Advice to Management

Use objective measures of success and listen to employees' ideas.

Worst experience .Management is very low quality people .Low quality software created by unprofessional people

I worked at Ascend Analytics full-time

Pros

I regret the decision to join this company

Cons

Worst work culture,management treats you like slaves ,No respect for people ,overall a wrong place to work if u are not usedto working with unprofessional people with zero people skills.No place for innovation and new ideas .Company consists of40 year old people with rigid viewpoint and no knowledge of how to manage their own product..They are not even customer focused ..

11. Interesting work for a small company in a great location

I have been working at Ascend Analytics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work is interesting, intelligent and helpful co-workers, innovative product, growing company, great location, potential to move up quickly

Cons

Workload can be demanding, communication between departments could be improved, need more initial training

Advice to Management

Improve communication & transparency, more training

RSS Feed </> Embed