Ascend One Reviews

2.4
Bernaldo Dancel

1. Great Company to work for

I worked at Ascend One

Pros

great benefits and training; the ability to help people

Cons

Raises were infrequent; Company changed focus from debt management to healthcare

Advice to Management

More opportunities for leadership

2. Negotiations

I worked at Ascend One

Pros

The ability to work from home was a huge plus. The benefits were solid and there was a pretty good work environment.

Cons

Every year there were layoffs, even when the company was growing. The company is not taking any new customers and the layoffs increased.

Run as fast as you can

I have been working at Ascend One

Pros

Great benefits. Ascend one was a great working family culture in the past.

Cons

Lack of vision & communication from management. Constantly changing environment and frequent layoffs.

Advice to Management

Better long term planning

5. One of my worst working experiences!

I worked at Ascend One full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Working at home
    -Made some friends
    -PTO
    -Benefits (which are expensive)

Cons

-Hired at less then pay rate on job posting.
    -Micro managing.
    -Constantly lay offs despite constant hiring (for the same positions).
    -Each manager has different rules & requirements. You get shuffled to new managers often.
    -They won't work with you or your schedule (though they say they will), but will ask you to bend over backward for them (stay late, come in early, work on days off, change schedules). You can't do any of these for your benefit, but if it benefits the company suddenly the rules change.
    -Best performing rep on month, then threatened with termination if off quota by a small percent the next month.
    -Managers are rude and play favorites.
    -Work additional jobs, but no additional pay.
    -Rediculous schedules.
    -No one available to assist you.
    -No consistency in what's required.
    -Negative enviroment.
    -Constant pressure of meeting the ever changing goal structure. Something new is added to it every other month.
    -The company doesn't seem to really care about employees or customers.
    -You are told all this stuff about helping the customer get out of debt but once you're there, it's about keeping the call under 6 mins. You will be harassed & threatened if you don't. Alway a looming fear of loosing your job.
    -There will be things going on that you can not discuss with or tell the customer.
    -There is no real debt management coach. More like an answering service. You can try but then there is that ever pressing call time that you can't meet if you are really helping the customer thoroughly.
    -Some customers end up with more debt then what they started with. If that happens you basically have to put it back on the customer. I tried to help customers the best I could but of course this made my job more stressful due to call time & as I mentioned threats of job loss.
    -40 calls holding all day long.

I really felt positive and enthusiastic when starting the company. I thought I would get a chance to really help people. While the pay wasn't great, I could at least survive (bare minimum, but better then nothing) and I got to work at home. I was excited about helping people and working at home with hopes I could earn more later or move into another role. I will say after working for Ascend One/Care One, I would never *EVER* use their services. They don't treat customers or employees well. Instead of taking the responsibility to make things right, they go on about how business isn't doing good. The truth is they can't keep customers and when they do, they get a bad reputation. So they decided to open some diet center. This was one of the worst working experiences I've ever had. I only wish I had gotten out sooner.

Advice to Management

Every company needs to make money. But that shouldn't be the only thing that's important at the end of the day. You should have kept the anonymous employee surveys and did them every 3 months. Stop the threats of termination and actually encourage employees. Stop laying folks off, only to replace them. In my years I only saw one good manager (and I had them all). She got out shortly after I was hired. Mission statements are good but are worthless if they are just words on paper. Listen to people doing the job. I never brought a problem to the table I didn't have a solution for. If it wasn't manageable, I could have tweaked it. No one seemed interested in discussions for improvement (except the one good manager). This company could have done so much better. There are plenty of people who need help managing debt. It's best to keep customers then spend tons of money on ads to bring in new ones. You're only replacing the one you couldn't keep (instead of actually generating new customers), sort of like the above employee situation. The employees feel badly toward the company & wouldn't use the service either (or encourage their friends or families to do so). If you are selling help, the customers should be really helped.

The snakes in the grass will be unearthed

Current Employee - Accounting in Columbia, MD
    Current Employee - Accounting in Columbia, MD

I have been working at Ascend One full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work from home
    Benefits
    pto
    Save money due to lack of commute

Cons

This company scams consumers. There should be a watchdog group standing over the incompetentcy of the upper management. The system is flawed.

Advice to Management

Fire upper management and start over. Most have zero business experience other than in their current position. Advance those with enthusiasm, with whom do not involve themselves with petty office quarrels which spill over into those who do not agree, threatening job security.
    Consistency!
    Stop pulling the wool over consumers eyes!

7. Virtual but stressful

I have been working at Ascend One

Pros

Working from home saved time and money. I learned alot and made good friends.

Cons

Very high stress job at times. There was always pressure to get payment increases and keeping average call times down. I understand why but there was alot of reward for bad behavior. Made less money bec bonuses were less and had to leave bec not making enough.

Advice to Management

Give people better bonuses since pay is not alot.

8. Very promising. Very bright people

Current Employee - Director in Columbia, MD
    Current Employee - Director in Columbia, MD

I have been working at Ascend One full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very smart and challenging people
    Family friendly environment

Cons

Lack of management vision.
    Company is pivoting to fund the loss of credit card business.

Advice to Management

Have long term vision.
    Bring back the family friendliness

Great until industry change

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Columbia, MD
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Columbia, MD

I worked at Ascend One full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Back when it was still a financial e-commerce business, the culture was great. IT ran a solid software development shop with technical sovereignty. PTO and work/life balance was solid.

Cons

Compensation was at or below industry average. The company has since shifted to a different industry, abandoning financial e-commerce and trying to grow a start-up. Based on conversations with former co-workers who are either still there or left after my departure, I understand the culture is not as good as it once was.

Glad they are going under!

I worked at Ascend One

Pros

Pay, benefits, people, atmosphere, experience

Cons

Being set up for termination, incompetent managers.

Advice to Management

Don't be hypocrites! You really only care about money & not employees or customers.

From "Get out of debt" to "Get Out!"

Current Employee - Solutions Coach
    Current Employee - Solutions Coach

I have been working at Ascend One full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work from home. Help people get out of debt. Good benefits and monthly commission opportunities. Website is user friendly and provides good, free financial advice.

Cons

Mangers either misinform or don't inform. Very secretive about process and changes. Lost focus on core business...owner now more concerned with his health, wellness center.

Advice to Management

Be more professional and provide your employees the opportunity to succeed. Some managers allowed their sales reps to cheat and cut corners. Other managers micromanaged and played favorites.