Ascend Performance Materials

Updated Jun 12, 2014

Not yet rated.

Ascend Performance Materials CEO Fred Poses

Fred Poses

Culture is positive and jobs are impactful

(Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsBroad, challenging jobs which offer great career growth. Company cares about employees and the communities where they operate. The first week in June, 2014, small groups of employees at all six U.S.-based sites were given $1,000 and told to do good in the community that day. Some handed out lunch to the homeless and others selected specific individuals who needed financial assistance. I have never worked for a company that would even consider something like this!!

ConsCompany is still defining business processes and structure is limited. Great for some, highly ambiguous and sometimes frustrating for others.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunications to employees have strengthened greatly over the past 6 months about business performance, company goals and values. Please continue this.

Hope Things Improve

Corporate Houston (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsOperations and contractors folks keep the business afloat and are paid at average to keep up with market. Company tends to bring good professionals but management keeps them from performing in the best interest of the business. 3-4 years ago, company made lots of money and our bonus was around 140% of target; thanks to Invista that had quality issues and their clients switched over to Ascend.

ConsEgos are a big issue and play a big role in company's culture. People spend significant time navigating through politics. Perform your role in the best interest of the business, but not in the best interest of personal interests and you will be singled out and, possibly, let go. Co-employment is a big issue since the Monsanto time, we were communicated that a project to address co-employment was on the works but the HR associate managing the project left, IT re-took it; however IT is not co-employment expert. Co-employment issue has increased in the past 1.5 years with new HR team starting treating contractors as employees. Management doesn't communicate well with owners when setting bonus goals, and while company tends to have good earnings, the paid bonuses have been at 50% or below in the past 2 years. Work hard long hours for owners to make cash but expect to be paid at 40% of your target bonus. There is a culture to have small wins, get the low hanging fruit with no high impact on the business, rather than addressing achievable high impact results for the business. Sad to experience that some management members feel they belong to a different class and treat non-management members disrespectfully. Superficial-highly political relationships and finger pointing is a must. HR headcount is large and results are yet to be seen for the past 4-5 years. HR head and team have been promising for years, but no deliverables yet. 3 new and very good corporate HR guys have already left the company; not so good corporate HR guys stayed. Finance team members look at each other as enemies; no collaboration, finance managers use management by fear with their directs. Management by fear is embedded in the company's DNA. Management knows the company has quality issues and top management tends to blame the client's processes to cover own quality issues. Some clients have terminated contracts because of quality issues. Heard from new hires that during the interview and selection process they were told the company was great, when they join they get disappointed. President left, or was let go last week. Big expansion project is now frozen due to forced-by-top-management unrealistic expectations.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemove narcissism from top management. Change culture from the top, do care about your employees - walk the talk. Present the company "as is" during the recruitment process, no lies; if company's culture is not great, say it. Be open and realistic, many families depend on this company.

Co-op

ESH Co-op (Former Employee) Alvin, TX

ProsCompany Values
    Flexible Work Environment
    Employee bonding
    State-of-the-art technology
    High Safety Orientation

ConsEnvironment sometimes too fast paced to catch up, but still gives a good opportunity to learn from and adapt.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Pursuit of Excellence

Global Marketing Director (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsHigh standards
    Continuous improvement
    Reward for Hard Work and Imagination
    Talented and Experienced Workforce

ConsBillion $$ start-up.....Employees must have expertise to thrive in ambiguity
    Constant visibility and pressure to perform......this place is great for brave hearts

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue focus on developing a performance- and merit- driven culture

Tons of growth

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsJobs are broad - I get to do bigger things than I would at other companies. I feel like I am really impacting the business
    Little bureaucracy/red tape - Things happen quickly around here, with little need for approval from on high.
    Good pay/benefits - Pay is consistent with the market, some really creative benefits (rewards for exercising, financial assessment and advisors, free Weight Watchers). We relocated from across the country, and the relo package was solid, and flexed to meet our needs.

ConsCould use some better communication from higher management

High Potential, Low Performance.

(Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsAbility to influence change quickly and easily.
    Benefits are slightly above average.
    Sense of family and support by fellow colleagues.
    High employee-to-employee support; highly active internal company assistance program.
    Company spends time and money on philanthropic initiatives year round. Great environment to get involved and make a difference.

ConsLong term culture does not show improvement.
    Company focuses on 1-2 year planning, not 5-15 year plans or goals.
    Poor leadership on the small to large scale- If you have a great leader, you may be covered. But, when you're visible all the way up the chain you're held accountable for matters that are outside the scope of your knowledge and responsibility.
    Compensation/Benefit package needs improvement.
    Communication is very poor.
    Company suffers from the "Too many chiefs, not enough Indians" syndrome in every line of management.
    Corporate office and leadership track is about who you know, not what value you bring or how much you accomplish.
    Goals and objectives are very disconnected to what employees really need/want both in manufacturing and corporate environments.
    Company focuses on easy wins, with little to no focus on critical matters of personal and commercial business.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember that most of the employees want to work each day to support the business and enjoy their careers. Value your loyal employees and show fair and equal treatment. Learn to appropriately manage the people aspect of your business by resolving conflict, not choosing sides and showing preference.

APM

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsFlexibility. Compensation. Career Growth. Access to Leadership.

ConsPrivate company and managed as such.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove communication and give appropriate authority to those who need it in order to improve the business process.

New to Ascend and very happy!

ProsComing out of a large organization where it often took months, if not years to bring new initiatives to fruition, Ascend offers a refreshing change of pace. After just 6 months with Ascend, I have been able to make a measurable impact. An added bonus is that I really like the people I work with!

ConsThings move very quickly at Ascend which can be a challenge for some people. You need to be able to recognize the value in rapid changes in organizational structure, people and systems.

Advice to Senior ManagementLeverage internal resources more frequently to communicate with employees -- Yammer, iAscend, etc.

A Great Place to Learn and Acquire Experience!!

Accounting Analyst (Current Employee) Houston, TX

Pros- As a new graduate, I am really enjoying the exposure to various levels of operations.
    - Extreamly Diverse.
    - Lots of learning opportunities and career growth
    - Very open to new ideas and implementation is fast.

ConsWork pace sometimes maybe a little slow.

A great place to work in the Florida Panhandle...

Lab Technician (Current Employee) Pensacola, FL

ProsGreat pay, good people, tons of overtime.

ConsUnderstaffed in the Analytical Lab

Worked for Ascend Performance Materials? Contribute to the Community!