Ascend Performance Materials

Ascend Performance Materials CEO Fred Poses
Fred Poses

Good Company, Great People

I have been working at Ascend Performance Materials

Pros

Wellness perks, laid back culture, good work/life balance, good pay.

Cons

Still fighting some of the "old culture."

Advice to Management

Continue to create avenues for your employees to drive value back into the company. Dont focus too heavily on "cost savings" - this doesnt work everywhere.

Great Place to work

Current Employee - Coordinator in Alvin, TX
    Current Employee - Coordinator in Alvin, TX

I have been working at Ascend Performance Materials

Pros

competitive pay, employee wellness programs, opportunity for advancement

Cons

no pension offered to employees

Best Kept Secret - Decatur Site

I have been working at Ascend Performance Materials

Pros

Understand the point of view: I have worked in several environments from R&D sites to production sites. I have worked in global businesses and physical worked for weeks at a time in several cultures in at least 8 countries. I have worked in large very posh companies (for everything that means in travel and project funding). With that said, I have to say that Ascend is GREAT! This isn't to speak badly of my previous employers - they were great too!

This company has a family feel, high impact projects, clear definitive goals with big picture clarity, and led by a management team that is honest and focused. I have been encouraged to network with other sites, outside contacts, develop through perfessional societies through giving talks and meeting others. At Ascend, there is high visibility on your projects and funding hasn't stopped anyone to date that I've seen (which is quite remarkable for a company this size). The professionalism is the highest I have seen yet in industry! Safety focus is very high. Very energetic and helpful engineers and staff. Everyone wants to do a good job and go home feeling proud anywhere you go but here it is more sweepingly pervasive.

I don't see anyone overworked. I saw comments below on that one... doesn't make sense at this site. With that said, people don't play around at work... they are focused and work hard but then people go home. That is another thing, I have never seen people hang out so much outside of work as they do here. Engineering groups are constantly meeting (learning and also for fun). Also, people are constantly talking about having spent the weekend together playing tennis, boating, or whatever.

I don't know how this group all found eachother but it is a pretty cool situation.

Cons

Would love a cafeteria to eat on-site.

Advice to Management

Keep up the coaching that I have seen thus far. I really enjoy that extra effort. Keep employee retention high to keep this place unchanged.

Open your eyes, Decatur, Al

Current Employee - Operator in Decatur, AL
    Current Employee - Operator in Decatur, AL

I have been working at Ascend Performance Materials full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Use to be a good company till they brought in the HRBP a few years back.

Cons

They just let the best HR person we have ever had go she helped the employees and really cared about what was going on. Can't believe they would let her go and keep the HRBP that everyone is afraid off. We have lost so many good employees because of her.

Advice to Management

Open your eyes and see what is happening the corporate office has had several complaints on her and yet they keep her around. No one wants to deal with her and now we have no one in HR we can trust that knows what's going on. She can't even answer your basic benefit questions what a joke.

Good company gone bad

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pensacola, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pensacola, FL

Pros

Good employees who give it their all. Most operators have been around a long time. A good sense of family among the workers.

Cons

Top leaders do not care about work life balance which is ironic because they preach it all the time. Its all about the numbers but employees are working with antiquated equipment. There are no realistic expectations. People are expected to work 7 days a week and are put down if they don't. After 15 years of service, just can't take it anymore. It is now causing issues with family life and I'm not the only one feeling that way. Unfortunately I'm at what is considered the better of the sites.

Advice to Management

Practice what you preach.

Was a good place, getting worse daily!!

Current Employee - Operations in Alvin, TX
    Current Employee - Operations in Alvin, TX

I have been working at Ascend Performance Materials

Pros

Shift employees are great, close drive from home

Cons

Management has destroyed this place, safety is no longer a priority, company refuses to spend money to fix the equipment. AN2/3 has had more leaks from failing pipe and equipment in the last year than in the history of the unit. People leaving faster than they can hire.

Advice to Management

It will not help!! They don't listen and they don't care

Interviewing Process

I have been working at Ascend Performance Materials full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Everyone on the interview team was very welcoming and put me at ease. The interview agenda was very well organized. The benefits and compensation package that was offered exceeded my expectations.

Cons

The mere size of the plant and the reporting structure may be overwhelming for some. However, employees at Ascend seem to be very patient and willing to answer questions.

Great place to work

I have been working at Ascend Performance Materials

Pros

Flexible schedule- competitive salary
    401k match is healthy

Cons

People are stretched a little thin at times.

Advice to Management

Make realistic expectations

Co-op at Ascend Performance Materials

Current Intern - Co-Op in Decatur, AL
    Current Intern - Co-Op in Decatur, AL

I have been working at Ascend Performance Materials as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Growing company
    good hourly pay for students (co-op)
    Everybody here is always happy to help

Cons

Nothing worth mentioning! They can may be get the co-op s involved in a lot more stuff

Perfect Co-Op Experience

Current Intern - Co-Op
    Current Intern - Co-Op

Pros

Good hands on projects for manufacturing Co-Ops.
    There's a variety of talent and people to learn from if you seek them out.
    Nicest people you will ever meet work there.
    Most mentors are flexible about you taking off a day or two a term.
    There's plenty of opportunities to grow yourself if you pursue them.

Cons

Sometimes you're not given enough work if you don't pursue projects on your own.
    Mentors and other engineers can be too busy to help you at times.
    HR is not always helpful for your questions or concerns or will take an extended amount of time (a month or more) to get back to you.

Advice to Management

There's not too much advice for me to give. You run a good Co-Op program that I'm proud to be a part of and you make an effort to show that the Co-Op program is important to you too.
    Organization within HR would be nice. It's sometimes hard to reach them or get all my questions answered fully.

Ascend Performance Materials Photos