www.msc.ascensionhealth.org

2.7

CEO

Horrible

I have been working at Ascension Health Ministry Service Center

Pros

None None None None None

Cons

Lies, Gossip, Disorder poor HR Staff

Run like he**

The values are just a big front...

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Ascension Health Ministry Service Center full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You can get away with anything

Cons

Leadership think only on themselves

Open your eyes and look at people's motives.

Ministry Service Center is a garbage place to work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Ascension Health Ministry Service Center full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I can not think of a single thing I liked about this place. A definite soul-sucker.

Cons

Get ready to enter the time machine back to High School....Immaturity and incompetence is what the Ministry Service Center is all about.

Hire people who know what they're doing and who give a crap about their employees.

Beware of the contact center

Former Employee - Contact Center Associate in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Contact Center Associate in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Ascension Health Ministry Service Center full-time

Pros

Great company overall! Just don't accept a job In the contact center

Cons

The contact center is the worst functioning department in the MSC. They try to get you to buy into their stupid culture. If you decide that another dept. is a better fit, they will do their best to stop you from transferring and then fire you.

Be real!

Poor outlook....this place is a revolving door.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Ascension Health Ministry Service Center full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Difficult to think of anything positive....maybe the commute was better than my previous job? The view from the building is nice? I'm really grabbing at straws here...life at the MSC is not fun.

Cons

A really political environment. Some people were very good at their jobs, but some people are major idiots. There is a culture of management not listening to qualified advice, and wasting time chasing meaningless projects. Very frustrating to employees!

Enter At Your Own Risk

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

Pros

Paycheck every 2 weeks; Not a lot of overtime

Cons

Immature/unprofessional management; Month long blackout vacation time; High school acting coworkers; No real opportunity for upward career advancement; HR is nonchalant about employee issues; Does not care about education (i.e. Having a degree does not mean anything concerning your compensation)

Managers should present policies and things going on and to come in a professional manner, that means not including their negative personal opinion about things that they nor their employees can have any control or input into changing.
    Employees who are doing the jobs on a daily basis need to be able to provide more feedback on processes-- and the feedback listened to and taken seriously when making decisions about moving forward with bringing on more sites.
    Need to establish more even work loads and tasks-- some seem to put assignments based on favoritism, so some employees are learning while others are given trivial mindless tasks.

Changes like the weather.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

Pros

Mobility (work from home) program.

Cons

Surprisingly political for a supposed Catholic organization.

Low job security = low employee morale = low committment

Leadership is in it for themselves

Pros

Ascension is a great mission-oriented company. Good benefits.

Cons

Politics are brutal. Management in the MSC have no healthcare experience, and they condescend to those who do. The facility was over built with flashy, colorful furniture and high-tech elaborate big screen TVs in a way that contradicts Ascension's modest values. Favorites are played and if you disagree you are isolated. The CEO is barely ever there. He doesn't even live in Indianapolis. Despite Ascension's high-minded platitudes, they pay $10s of thousands of dollars per year for his travel costs. HR department is pretentious and hard to deal with. If you want to express a concern, it is a shame that you can't trust HR to respect your confidentiality.

Respect who your clients are. You might not think very highly of faith-based health care delivery but your clients care about it very much. Also, walk before you can run. The place is just getting off the ground and you're acting like it's Google. Slow down and get the small stuff right before chasing the big symbol crashes. Thin out the administrative areas and devote your salary budget to production people. There is too much overhead in that place.

Considering looking for another job!

Current Employee - Supervisor in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Indianapolis, IN

Pros

The work load is manageable and very easy. I work with a WONDERFUL group of people. I get to work from home when ever I need to. And things are looking even brighter now that our current manager turned in her resignation. Prayerfully the company will hire a better replacement because she was a BIG dark cloud hanging over everyone's head. If not for all of the wonderful people that I work with, it would have been an impossible place to work. The senior leaders are starting to conduct a lot of employee surveys and they seem to be taking the employee complaints they receive seriously. The jury is still out on that one so we will see if they make the necessary changes to turn things around.

Cons

The company is quite disorganized. Especially the recruiting department. Hopefully things will get better.T he company hires leaders in and pays them less than some of their employees. The salary is based off of what you are making at your current job when hired in or promoted to instead of basing the starting salary off of the salary range for that specific job. I was hired in and paid less than the bottom salary range for my position and then later on I found out that there were employees reporting in my department that make more money than I do. This is nonsense. This is another example of the disorganization of the company. It's like they started the MSC and didn't completely think through every aspect of the design of things and later on they realized they made a mistake and tried to fix it. But they did a poor job of fixing it. There is also a lot of favoritism. It appears that internal promotions are based off of "who" you know instead of your ability to do the job and your prior experience. And what's worse is, they don't try to hide it. This place is a walking EEOC suit waiting to happen. The company "talks" about their "ministry" values but their actions don't mirror this.

I think it's great that you promote from within but you really need to provide some training for your newly promoted leaders and assign an experienced mentor to each person. Because the company is promoting a lot of Associates in to leadership roles that have no prior experience and it is disastrous. Just a suggestion. And the HR department needs to do a better job of connecting with the Supervisors and Department Heads that they oversee, to make sure each department is representing the company according to the company's mission and values. I think they would be surprised at what they would find. But of course the reason for all of the inexperienced promotions is because the current leaders are promoting their "favorites" and not those most qualified for the position.

Entirely mismanaged and poorly focused

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

Pros

Free fountain soda, K-cup coffee machines. Open, modern floor plan & lots of windows. Focus on community involvement. Morning reflection e-mails from the on-site pastor and hours per month allotted to community service. Mobility program being rolled out slowly but surely offers associates the opportunity to work from home (something that most any job here can be done, honestly). Some flexibility in scheduling based on hours of operation.

Cons

The entire productivity tracking system (PES). Antiquated way of doing it, emphasis placed on percentages rather than the actual work getting done. Breaking down every activity you perform in order to track it takes nearly as much time as the work itself.

Although there is an emphasis on community involvement & reverence, at least in the department I worked in we were absolutely chained to our desks and had no real means of participation as far as our service hours were concerned. No team atmosphere. Although they maintain an open floor plan, group-think is totally discouraged -- both on account of the workload which is very individualized and on account of the fact that if you spend time collaborating, your productivity tracking suffers.

Management is more focused on how productive the department appears to be rather than how productive it actually is. At the same time, they're never on the floor in order to actually be providing constructive criticism or brainstorming ways to fix issues. The lack of communication is really frustrating, especially when there are obvious problems in the process that are not being fixed or even addressed. This reflects in poor service for the health ministries. Vicious cycle. At the same time, management is concerned with keeping employees in line to make the department look good rather than fostering growth and bettering the department itself. High turnover rate.

The exempt employees in our department spent WELL over 40 hours a week to stay on top of a workload that is way too heavy for a 40 hour workweek. Regardless of the fact that there's some flexibility in scheduling shifts, you're expected to spend extra hours putting in the time to keep up with a workload that is insane and is nowhere near something someone could stay on top of in a normal workweek. There were hourly associates in the department in an easier role making easily as much as the exempt ones who had a laid back workload that was easily managed within 40 hours. Totally unbalanced.

PTO is a joke, especially within the first year. 3.74 hours a pay period for full time employees, then you're bumped up to slightly over 4 a pay period after that. Equates to around 12 days a year, and that is any time spent away from work, no differentiation between sick & vacation time. Oh, and if you're saving time for a vacation... you better not get sick, because that vacation requires you to have the PTO to take it! With such a low accrual rate, it gives you no flexibility at all.

Sweeping issues under the rug is going to bite you in the end. Make time for the people under you and be on the floor with them. A great multilevel management structure starts with great management, and at least in the department I was in, it was so poor up top that the chain of command was a complete mess. Staff properly for deployments, make workloads manageable.

Ascension Health Ministry Service Center Photos