Ascension Health

Robert J. Henkel

Long term associate

Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Ascension Health full-time for more than 10 years

ProsExcellent opportunity to make a contribution within the context of a purpose driven mission. Long track-record of accomplishment and discipline in execution of direction and plan.

ConsThe volume of needs, opportunities and opinions are challenging. Many constituencies that have a real impact on daily activities.

Advice to Senior ManagementAlways stay faithful to the purpose and mission

So Far, So Good...

Project Manager (Current Employee)
Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Ascension Health full-time for less than a year

ProsStrong Benefits, Exceptional Culture, Strong Results are Noticed, Growing Organization with plenty of room to grow. Associates are given the opportunity to get their job done and contribute to a culture of change.

ConsConstant Change. Headcount Pressure Means Lots of Work. All structures at MSC not yet defined, so career paths are not as obvious.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart to think about Succession Planning and growth for Senior Individual Contributors.

Ascension Information Services - Impact Lives with Info Technology

Solution Development Specialist (Current Employee)
Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Ascension Health full-time for more than a year

ProsFrom an Information Technology perspective, senior management of AIS (Ascension Information Services), especially the CIO, have a world view that correctly identifies the goal of all effective IT projects; that is the enablement of caring for people in the most clinically informed manner possible. 99% of all IT associates I have encountered treat each other with respect and work towards goals consist with this world view. Benefits are excellent, work time expectations are very balanced, HR processes are effective. Education is clearly a priority. Consistent performance and tenure are highly valued by senior management. IT strategic direction and goals are made clear from the CIO through the director-levels, and appear to be correctly aligned with the changing healthcare landscape.

ConsSince the organization is large, one has to make a concerted effort to remain connected in order to be most effective and understand how one's job fits within the greater goals of the organization. This is not a problem as long as you make that effort. Compensation within "the ranks" is not at the top of the list, but the work conditions, job satisfaction, and security make up for this.

Great Place To Work

I have been working at Ascension Health full-time

ProsAscension Health is a great place to work. They offer a competitive salary and benefits package, the management treats you as a person and not a number, and there is lots of opportunity to learn new things.

ConsThe workload can be heavy at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work in making your associates feel like they are part of the team. Keep an eye on the demanding working and seek resources as needed for the growth.

I enjoy working for Ascension Health Information Services

Systems Analyst (Current Employee)
Evansville, IN

I have been working at Ascension Health full-time for more than 3 years

ProsI have great benefits, ample leave time, many opportunities for advancement, option to periodically work from home. Awesome human resources department.

ConsTakes forever to fill a position, uses too many consultants, many conflicts between local ministries and AHIS. Often things can get confusing with having a direct supervisor, but many dotted lines to other individuals.

Working at Ascension

Solutions Development Lead (Current Employee)

I have been working at Ascension Health full-time for less than a year

ProsGreat people, good environment, good pay & benefits

ConsPoints of disconnection with the local health ministries where they ignore national policies

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure global policies are clearly communicated and enforced. Also enforce accountability across the board

Excellent

I have been working at Ascension Health

Proscareer growth is definitely available with Ascension

ConsMany seem to hold information back

This organization lives out it's Mission

Director, Human Resources (Current Employee)

I have been working at Ascension Health

ProsA caring community of leaders that lives out it's mission every day.

ConsHow will government decisions impact our ability to continue to carry out our 2020 vision.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to keep those that we serve at the heart of all the decisions that we make.

Loved it

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Ascension Health

ProsBelieve in the Mission. Dedicated People. Work Life Balance. Opportunity to Travel. Great People. Innovative and think outside the box.

ConsNo cafe in office. Office Location not so great. Too much travel sometimes. Overall, I do not have much bad to say about the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementA bit too much politics on the senior level, but this is true of most companies. Overall, a good bunch of people.

Ascension Health: Positively Impacting Healthcare for the next 100 years

Vice President (Current Employee)

I have been working at Ascension Health

ProsLives up to their core values. 100,000 reasons---people who collaborate on caring out its mission to serve patients, community as a ministry. Management, clinical staff and executives top notch and leaders in the industry.

ConsIts a large national organization and the structures needed to manage 100 hospitals and facilities across the US. With $11 Billion in revenues it would be a "Fortune 500" company if it was a NYSE or for profit firm perhaps #5 in healthcare companies, that brings slower decision making and some expected red tape. Needs to continue building diversity into its long term plans for senior management team local, regionally and nationally.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinued to build upon the values of St. Vincent De Paul (one of the founding orders) by innovating, leading and challenging the US healthcare system by focusing on quality patient care, medical advances & technology, excellent stewardship, addressing and serving the 47 million Americans either under insured or uninsured as St. Vincent De Paul practiced with simplicity, intergrity and honesty 375 years ago.

Worked for Ascension Health? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Ascension Health reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Ascension Health CEO Robert J. Henkel. All 43 reviews posted anonymously by Ascension Health employees.