Ascension Health Reviews

86 reviews filtered by
3.3
Ascension Health President & CEO Robert J. Henkel
Robert J. Henkel

Pros
  • They really try to 'walk the 'walk' in terms of work life balance and excellent benefits (in 7 reviews)

• There are plenty of good people working here (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • They do not respect a work/life balance (in 4 reviews)

• Points of disconnection with the local health ministries where they ignore national policies (in 3 reviews)

1. Disorganized, bad culture

Former Employee - Quality Analyst in Auburn Hills, MI
    Former Employee - Quality Analyst in Auburn Hills, MI

I worked at Ascension Health

Pros

Fair salary and good benefits, most people are nice

Cons

Unfair employment practices, no lunch or breaks for salaried workers, very disorganized corporate HR. You must work 45 hours minimum for salary. Fine but, no one takes a lunch or a break ever and if YOU do, you get odd looks. I'm sorry but I can't work 9 hours without taking a break. Most eat the junk food they sell at their desks while they work. As a result, you get to work with people and train while they talk with their mouths full of food. Bizarre. I suppose that unhealthy ness is why a high percentage of folks there are clinically obese. Then, background checks aren't done until long after you've statred employment which results in chaos and possibility of firing after you've put in a month of hard work and lost ten pounds from not eating. Also, overweight managers will make comments about your healthy weight. I got the hear "wow you're peristant for a tiny little thing..." And other comments that refered to my weight. It made me pretty uncomfortable and made me feel that my boss disliked me because I was thin and she is obese. When an applicant makes a mistake on their application and calls a manager to help, if they are unable to get help with the application, it's pretty shady to fire them and claim they falsified information.

You should let employees take a lunch and demand corporate get organized in hiring procedures. Also, you should refrain from making comments about a persons body size.

2. Unprofessional and disorganized

Former Employee - Systems Analyst in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Systems Analyst in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Ascension Health full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I actually liked that the company was of the Christian faith.

Cons

Management was lacking at my location (Saint Agnes Hospital), offices were very dingy and gross, technical knowledge was non-existent. I left because I felt that I was lied to in my interview. I interviewed for a job that was not actually the one I ended up with when I started.
    Parking was a huge issue too. Off site parking in a very high-crime area is just horrible.
    There was no work-life balance, it was expected that you work on-call hours and yet that was never discussed in the interview.

Learn how to manage first off, and stop taking advantage of your employees. Work-life balance is important.

3. I volunteered for this company and I really enjoyed it.

Former Employee - Good Match in Binghamton, NY
    Former Employee - Good Match in Binghamton, NY

I worked at Ascension Health part-time (more than a year)

Pros

This is a very ethical company that values good employees.

Cons

As a volunteer, there was no pay.

It was a good opportunity to learn and grow.

5. Inner-city hospital outcome focused for patients, family and staff.

Former Employee - Per Diem RN in Saginaw, MI
    Former Employee - Per Diem RN in Saginaw, MI

I worked at Ascension Health part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I enjoyed the open communication between staff and staff with leadership. The patients and families were very appreciative of our services and most would let us know we were appreciated.

Cons

Seasonal mandated time off due to low census was a challenge at times.

Senior management needs to be seen and heard directly more often.

6. What it's like to work there

I have been working at Ascension Health full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Depending on what department or clinic you work in, the atmosphere is not very strict.

Cons

With the new system in place it seems like it's very disorganized. Some departments can be very stressful because of these system malfunctions while others are not.

7. great company and values

Current Employee - Benefits Specialist in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Benefits Specialist in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Ascension Health full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

great values, benefits, work life balance

Cons

shared service center, call center setting for payroll, benefits and HR

8. Positive, bottom line focus while recognizing work-life balance

Former Employee - Finance in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Finance in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Ascension Health full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Worked on a large ERP project for 4 years. Leadership team was experienced and partnered well with the external consulting organization. Extensive planning, attention to detail, and accountability for your actions were a plus.
    As a faith based healthcare provider Ascension emphasized harmony between your work and personal life including one or two day long retreats each year to focus on mental, physical and spiritual health. Generous time off allowances, above average compensation, and opportunities for advancement. Nice 403b/c (401K equivalent for non-profit). Fantastic healthcare benefits including a sliding premium plan based on salary, the more you make the more you pay. More companies should do this as it helps the low wage earners and does little to hurt the high wage earners.

Cons

Project related activities required a great deal of extra hours, especially during the first year of the project. This diminished in the following years as the ERP solution was deployed, however, extensive travel required, but not unexpected. Unable to take more than 2 weeks of vacation per year due to tight timelines, although they did pay out unused vacation time at 100%.

Continue town hall meetings and sharing of financial data with associates. Challenge mid-level managers to focus on developing internal resources for advancement.

9. Good pay & benefits. Lack of advancement opportunities.

I have been working at Ascension Health full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good pay - you won't get rich working here but can live comfortable.
    Generous benefits including a lot of PTO (paid time off).
    Great people to work with.
    Management doesn't micro manage.

Cons

The only real con is lack of advancement opportunities. Internal employees are often not considered when there is an opening (which there are few). Openings are filled by external, contractors or interns.

Work on promoting within, training employees who would like to work in other areas. Most people aren't interested in being stuck doing one job. Be loyal to employees who are loyal to Ascension.

St Mary's Blue Springs Missouri - family oriented organization

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Blue Springs, MO
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Blue Springs, MO

I have been working at Ascension Health part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Family oriented, people work here for over twenty years

Cons

usual healthcare stressors, required weekends/holidays

be more flexible with scheduling/hours

11. Great company, great family!

Current Employee - Business Analyst
    Current Employee - Business Analyst

I have been working at Ascension Health full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Employees are truly focused and dedicated to service of the poor and patient safety/satisfaction/experience!

Cons

Ascension ministries focus on underserved areas, so hospitals are often not found in as "glamorous" locations.

Great leadership and management, very dedicated. Work-Life balance could be a concern, they often work long hours to meet deadlines and drive projects through.