Ascension Parish School Board

Patrice Pujol

the best

Current Employee - High School Teacher in Saint Amant, LA
    Current Employee - High School Teacher in Saint Amant, LA

I have been working at Ascension Parish School Board full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

coworkers and students. High expectations, lots of work. Good students, great support. High pay compared to others. I love it here

Cons

alumni has too much influence. Everyone is related to everyone. very political. Have to know someone to get a job. Don't anger anyone . never can please everyone.

none

na

I have been working at Ascension Parish School Board full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

not a single one at this place

Cons

choose not to mention at all

compensate your employees for the work and service that they provide.

substitute teacher

I worked at Ascension Parish School Board part-time (more than an year)

Pros

it was a was a 2nd job. My full time job was evenings and weekends

Cons

there were no benefits given with this job

Special Needs Counselor

Former Employee - Special Needs Counselor in Gonzales, LA
    Former Employee - Special Needs Counselor in Gonzales, LA

I worked at Ascension Parish School Board full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of independence, great school system, dedication to student needs, cooperative faculties and administrations

Cons

Homophobic atmosphere at times, little choice in school placement, some collegial tension

"Everything great and intelligent is in the minority"

Current Employee - Teacher in Donaldsonville, LA
    Current Employee - Teacher in Donaldsonville, LA

I have been working at Ascension Parish School Board full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I have worked for 2 different schools in the Parish. The first was a dream come true. Great support from administrators, colleagues, parents, and community. Our professionalism was never questioned. "A" school. Freedom to experiment with new techniques created a culture of teachers and students who were excited about learning.

District offers comparatively good medical coverage and life insurance benefits. The communities which comprise Ascension Parish are wonderful places to live. 10 sick days per year granted to teachers. Unused days rollover to the next year.

Cons

2nd school......I am actively looking to leave and follow in the footsteps of many who have quit recently. Overabundance of paperwork, useless data charts and graphs..."busy work" if you will. No lunch break, no planning periods, no time given to fulfill normal teaching duties. Employee morale has bottomed out. Faculty literally being told to "teach to the test."

The students and teachers are suffering in order that administrators and the district continue to receive praises for being an "A" district. Not. Worth. It.

You have lost your BEST teachers so far, (check the names, credentials, schools) and it is only November. Unless you slow the bleeding, expect to restaff entire schools come January and August. "Attitude reflects leadership."