Asheville-Buncombe Technical Community College

CEO

PT Instructor

Former Employee - Pt Instructor in Asheville, NC
    Former Employee - Pt Instructor in Asheville, NC

I worked at Asheville-Buncombe Technical Community College part-time (more than a year)

Pros

It is a nice academic environment with adults and young adults who are there for a purpose

Cons

It is very difficult to obtain full time work, and you are limited to only 13 hours per week as a part time instructor.

Communication with my supervisor was limited and I was never entirely sure of how I stood.

Former Employee - Adjunct Professor in Asheville, NC
    Former Employee - Adjunct Professor in Asheville, NC

I worked at Asheville-Buncombe Technical Community College part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Pay was good. There was some support for finding teaching materials. Lots of training available. I had an associate full time teacher who was my point person to go to for advice, and she was very helpful and supportive.

Cons

I found myself teaching bored high school students instead of college students. Sometimes I would not know until the last minute if I were subbing that day or not. It was difficult to converse productively with my supervisor, as that person was unhappy and quite passive-aggressive. It took a long time to develop lessons, as well as grade, for I had to grade all the work left behind by the teacher before me (this is unpaid time). Internet connection at the high school outreach was severely limited, so often I would have to bring everything for lessons to class, because we (I was not exempt from the restrictions) could not look things up online.

I think, that in the cases of having only one supervisor to go to who is hard to approach, it would be good to have some information on other possible avenues to address concerns. I felt my supervisor was difficult to talk to, and the Dean off limits in general.

n/a

I have been working at Asheville-Buncombe Technical Community College

Pros

Flexibility, supportive, co-workers are great!

Cons

Benefits for spouse and child are extremely expensive

Do benefits by percentages rather than a fixed total.

I enjoyed working here.

I have been working at Asheville-Buncombe Technical Community College

Pros

They were really flexible.

Cons

They only payed $8 an hour for work study.

The management was good.

Not as good as it used to be but still a good place to work.

I have been working at Asheville-Buncombe Technical Community College full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Working at A-B Tech is different for different positions. Continuing education, degree programs, student services, administrative functions and various centers and institutes all have different working circumstances and employee experiences. Generally speaking the workload is increasing for everyone. The new and increasing activities are many times not directly related to instruction and more inwardly focused on the institution. Employee retention has been decreasing in the past several years resulting in the loss of many very experienced employees and faculty.

Cons

There are future uncertainties in program offerings and growth due to state funding challenges.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Math Tutor in Asheville, NC
    Current Employee - Math Tutor in Asheville, NC

I have been working at Asheville-Buncombe Technical Community College part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very flexible with schedules. Interesting and smart people to work with. Challenging work.

Cons

No good cafe for lunch. No good place for coffee. Honestly, my only gripes are the food.

Rewarding opportunity to help entrepreneurs reach their dreams

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Asheville, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Asheville, NC

I have been working at Asheville-Buncombe Technical Community College

Pros

Partnerships and commitment from supporting agencies

Cons

Strong Budget for funding events

Set up loan fund to support entrepreneurs and provide large educational budget