Ashford University
ashford.edu San Diego, CA 1000 to 5000 Employees

Ashford University Reviews

Updated Apr 8, 2014
Ashford University – US – “Cubicle life”

Ashford University President Richard L. Pattenaude

Richard L. Pattenaude

Pros:
  • "The company offers relatively good benefits"
    in 25 reviews
  • "Great benefits package with vacation/sick/holidays; they offer overtime frequently"
    in 14 reviews
Cons:
  • "The company will tell you it's not a sales job, but the environment is very high pressure"
    in 14 reviews
  • "High-pressure, no job security, sales tactics"
    in 9 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Underrated. This is an awesome organization to work for. Very pleased.

Assistant Professor (Current Employee)
San Diego, CA

I have been working at Ashford University full-time for more than a year

ProsI have the best job in the world. I work from home and I am designing new courses and teaching the classes that I want to teach.

ConsIt is always busy. Rarely any downtime.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to promote within. Consider giving bonuses.

High turnover rate for employees and students

Enrollment Advisor (Former Employee)

I worked at Ashford University full-time for more than 3 years

ProsTough to find something to fill this category but if you're an excellent sales person you'll make bank.

ConsNo positions pay well unless you're in Admissions (Sales). If you're in Admissions (Sales), you will be quickly let go if you can't keep up with production. Retention does not seem to be a concern at Ashford for either employees or students.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit with the turnover of employees. You show the public you don't care about even the most tenured employees and shine a negative light on yourselves. The best talent will avoid you as it's public knowledge upper management only cares about themselves. You only pay Admissions (Sales) and all other departments are overlooked. Your student population also suffers as the person who enrolled them is usually not around long for them to keep in communication with.

Admissions Counselor

San Diego, CA

I worked at Ashford University full-time for less than a year

ProsIt is one of the only companies in San Diego that pays a livable wage for someone right out of college.

ConsYou are convincing someone to go thousands of dollars in debt (knowing full well 90% of the students won't graduate) for a crap degree from a crap school. Managers are constantly being micromanaged, so that means you are constantly being micromanaged. These people will enroll anyone no matter what. I had a manager try to convince me to enroll an elderly lady with dementia. There have been numerous people that have enrolled students when the student was intoxicated and clearly cannot make the best decision.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop focusing on money, and focus on the students and the quality of education.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

This place SUCKS. Worst job of my life. Don't even bother working here.

I worked at Ashford University full-time for more than a year

ProsIt was a nice building, the bathrooms were nice, the cubicles were nice, a few people were nice, outside of all the gossip that happens here.

ConsWorst job ever. You are literally the annoying telemarketer that everyone hates and hangs up on. This is a telemarketing job, except worst because the leads they hand you are old and worn out. No one will want the useless degree that Ashford provides. They say they are "changing lives" by enrolling and I agree, lives are changed her for the worst. You try your best by becoming a professional scammer to scam as many students as you can. And when they figure out you've scammed them, they dropped, then you get yelled at by your manager and director as to why they dropped. The turnover rate for this job is sky-high because you either are tried of being a brainless phone money and quit, or they will fire you and hire a new batch of phone monkeys. This can easily go down as one of the worst jobs any human being can be subjected to. It's not even worth applying, much less working here.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou don't care one bit about your employees and it shows. Corporate greed sucks, and your company is the worst at it. Every employee hates it here, they are only stuck here because there is no where else to go in this economy.

Progressive company, making great strides.

Student Advisor (Former Employee)

I worked at Ashford University full-time for more than a year

ProsThe company faces market and institutional challenges with excellence. Good place to work to hone customer service, process, and communication skills. The education benefit is excellent!

ConsThe intrinsic nature of for-profit organizations is that they are driven by the bottom line. As such, there is a constant awareness of the need for growth that leads to uneasiness regarding job security.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue the mentoring and leadership emphasis - it makes a huge difference among staff!

Not employee Friendly

Online Adjunct Instructor (Former Employee)

I worked at Ashford University full-time for more than a year

ProsHigher rate of average compensation

ConsThose in charge disrespect their employees
Swearing at employees
Focusing on metrics that do not correlate to student success (i.e. responders, time in class)

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees with much more respect.

Ashford is a big corporation that treats its employees as numbers.

Admissions Operations Coordinator (Former Employee)
Denver, CO

I worked at Ashford University full-time for more than a year

ProsThey offer an education benefit that allows employees to earn free or discounted degrees from all three of their institutions. They also offer competitive health and vision benefits.

ConsThe leaders are unethical and lack vision. The low level employees pay the price for poor decisions made by the executive team. They reached a plateau in 2013 and suffer from an identity crisis.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt is likely you or someone you know got promoted just because the executive team needed to fill a position. Don't make the same mistakes your predecessors did, pay close attention to your staff and promote for skill set and performance. Just because there is a position available doesn't mean you should fill it with the employee that is next on the totem pole.

Can give you some career experience but not somewhere to grow

Enrollment Advisor (Former Employee)

I worked at Ashford University full-time for more than a year

ProsDecent pay and good benefits

ConsWorking in the admissions department can be extremely stressful. I moved on to a different department that was much less stressful.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf less focus was on admissions and more on the active students then the company would be much better off

Contrary and disconnect between departments, hypocritical managers who slave drive and provide no incentives.

Admissions Counselor (Current Employee)

I have been working at Ashford University full-time for more than 3 years

ProsAbility to work over time as need and a youthful exuberant staff.

ConsNo incentive for achieving more than the minimum, hypocritical slave driving managers.

Advice to Senior ManagementExpect others to do as you do not just as you say and lead by example!

The management at times was out of sorts but it has great benefits such as access to discounts for tuition.

Denver, CO

I worked at Ashford University full-time for more than a year

ProsTuition discount for yourself and dependents.

ConsManagement changes are constant making it hard for employees to know what is going on.

Advice to Senior ManagementStability would help make employees feel better about everything.

Worked for Ashford University? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Ashford University reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Ashford University CEO Richard L. Pattenaude. All 235 reviews posted anonymously by Ashford University employees.