Ashford University
ashford.edu San Diego, CA 1000 to 5000 Employees

Ashford University Reviews

Updated Apr 8, 2014
Ashford University – US – “Cubicle life”

Ashford University President Richard L. Pattenaude

Richard L. Pattenaude

Pros:
  • "Decent pay, good benefits, the friends you make in training and on your teams"
    in 20 reviews
  • "Great Pay and Benefits - you are paid hourly, which is great when overtime is offered"
    in 10 reviews
Cons:
  • "Be prepared to use slimy sales techniques to get students to enroll or you will not be around for long"
    in 13 reviews
  • "The company will tell you it's not a sales job, but the environment is very high pressure"
    in 14 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Admissions Counselor review

Admissions Counselor (Former Employee)

I worked at Ashford University full-time for more than a year

ProsExtremely well trained/prepared for the job. I really liked the vibe on the floor, and most employees got along with each other well. Some of the older reps, however, who benefited from old ED regulations and who made substantially more, had an arrogance that was not cool.

ConsBullpen environment at times...not a clear path for promotion. The opportunity to participate in leadership development programs is based on interviews and eligibility criteria. One can meet the criteria, but not get much of an interview (the list of those accepted was known prior to the actual interview).

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the team vibe going...

Stepping Stone...

Student Advisor (Current Employee)

I have been working at Ashford University full-time for more than a year

Prosgreat benefits, and great community

Consbad structuring, unstable environment, always worried to lose your job/place

Advice to Senior Managementhire better managers

Accessible education to the masses!

Military Admissions Counselor (Current Employee)
San Diego, CA

I have been working at Ashford University full-time for less than a year

ProsWonderful concept, excellent training program, stellar benefits, fair pay, flexible schedule, amazing coworkers, and WASC accredited!

Consrough transition from the "old" way of doing things to the new and improved way

Advice to Senior ManagementLet it be what it is... a University.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

White Color sweatshop

University Advisor (Current Employee)

I have been working at Ashford University full-time for more than a year

Prosdecent pay, free fitness facility, centrally located. blah blah balh blah

ConsIf you want to go to work and be made to feel an inadequate failure this is the place for you. They will tell you they are a "lead rich" company. what they don't tell you is they buy the cheapest leads possible that they will admit only convert at 2%, give you anywhere from 100-200 of these leads a month then expect you to enroll 15 students on a monthly basis. Due the math...IT's NEARLY IMPOSSIBLE TO SUSTAIN! Then they give you a database of old leads that have been called hundreds of times and expect you to enroll from that. They give a nice starting salary but make you mentally earn every penny and then some. My entire team is constantly in fear of losing their jobs. This is a classic fear based leadership model. For a company that admittedly has a bad reputation in the community they have done nothing to change their public image. Talk to ten people and I would bet at least one has worked for this place at some point and I would venture to guess they wouldn't have anything good to say about it.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop living in the past. The for profit industry is changing. The way you do business is changing. You have good people that you are firing everyday. Make the expectations feasible. You will have a happier and much more productive staff.

Drank the Kool Aid. Sold my soul in hopes of making it with a growing company.

Enrollment Advisor (Former Employee)

ProsDecent Salary
Some great people
Benefits
Learned how to do manipulative and fear based sales
Rewards and incentives in the beginning (college fridays)
Company trip to Las Vegas

ConsCutt throat sales
Terrible upper and lower management
Demoralizing if you're not reaching goals
Fake
Their accreditation almost going down the toilet should tell you something.
Back stabbed by manager - after I told her I had an interview to do a lateral transfer. She cancelled it behind my back due to the lack of performance on my team then fired me.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive your sales staff solid reasons to stay onboard after 6 months, lower quotas,

My time as admissions counselor

Admissions Counselor (Former Employee)

I worked at Ashford University full-time for more than a year

ProsAshford was a fun place to work. Great wages, the people I worked with were awesome, and you could not beat the benefits,

ConsThe training was very poor. Becoming a counselor should take more than two weeks of training. During that two weeks of training, minimal time is spent on the phone with students. If "counselors" are under performing, more training should be offered or be offered other positions at the school versus being laid off,

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease do not hire employees in large groups with expectations to lay off large groups without offering other positions available at the school first.

Try the Cool-Aid, Cult of Online Admissions

Admission Counselor (Former Employee)
Denver, CO

I worked at Ashford University full-time for more than 3 years

ProsPeople do succeed by getting degrees here others not so much.
The two week paid training was a good experience. Good place to start your life after college, and you might actually help a few people get a degree and make a better life for them. On-going training is always good, it is a transferable skill. You can make some good friends and contacts here if you put in the effort. Nice looking people overall and enroll in a Masters program while you are at it. If you are hungry and have a sweet tooth then look no further, plenty of junk food to make your day a little more tolerable. Managers will splurge by opening their $$ deep pockets and buy bagels for their team. Thanks guys/gals!

ConsI didn't like the Cool-Aid they made us drink. It is clearly brainwashing mental warfare getting you to believe in something that is simply not the reality of Online Enrollment. Managers will force you to enroll a person with no money to their name, no computer, no car, no credit, nothing, into a $56,000 degree program and think this is ethical.
They legally say there is no sales quota, but it is painful to watch the managers tip-toe around the subject, it leads to a lot of creativity in manipulating performance of the teams.
If you are a seasoned professional or been in the workforce for a few years, I highly recommend you continue your search elsewhere, every review on this company has truth. Please, just do your due diligence and understand fully what you are getting into when you sign your name on the bottom line. Good Luck!

Advice to Senior ManagementI was inspired to get to listen to the CEO speak, wow did I want to go out there and make a difference! Then listening to the President of the Denver office speak and I was still inspired to make a difference....and then there are the managers. Yes there are some true leaders 20% while 80% are inexperienced, never worked a day in there life, communicate better to a digital device..a major disconnect of mission. I was very saddened by this and no amount of money would have made me stay at Ashford University. Don't groom your rookie managers and future leaders at the expense of your employees because your system has left a bad taste in mouths of the great workforce who call Denver home.

wish it was better

Admissions Counselor (Current Employee)

I have been working at Ashford University full-time for more than a year

Prosi like the cafe and i like the benefits and the location and co workers i like the cafe and i like the benefits and the location and co workers

Conscompany doesnt care about employees they would fire most anyone for no reason company doesnt care about employees they would fire most anyone for no reason

Advice to Senior Managementcare about the employees

Stay away!

University Advisor (Current Employee)
Denver, CO

I have been working at Ashford University full-time for more than a year

ProsWhen they were growing, it was a good opportunity to move up. Pay rate is very nice, lots of overtime available, and free tuition to go back to school.

ConsCONSTANT pressure from senior leadership, work many Saturdays. Horrible culture, lots of layoffs, always the threat of losing your job.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe consistent with your message. Actually care about your employees AND your students.

Incompetent management, who cannot lead

Institutional Research Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Ashford University full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe only pro is the paycheck; other than that I cannot think of any redeeming qualities that this institution has.

ConsMiddle management does not take ownership of the mistakes that they make; rather they use their team members as the "fall guys". Also, there is no sense of team development. Stressful environment to work for - the only focus is on the bottom dollar and making a profit. Little to no disregard of the employee's well-being.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would recommend that all directors and above read "The 21 Irrefutable Laws of Leadership" as most are not qualified to lead effectively.

Worked for Ashford University? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Ashford University reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Ashford University CEO Richard L. Pattenaude. All 235 reviews posted anonymously by Ashford University employees.