Ashford University
ashford.edu San Diego, CA 1000 to 5000 Employees

Ashford University Reviews

Updated Apr 21, 2014
Ashford University – US – “Cubicle life”

Ashford University President Richard L. Pattenaude

Richard L. Pattenaude

Pros:
  • "The company offers relatively good benefits"
    in 25 reviews
  • "Great benefits package with vacation/sick/holidays; they offer overtime frequently"
    in 14 reviews
Cons:
  • "The company will tell you it's not a sales job, but the environment is very high pressure"
    in 14 reviews
  • "High-pressure, no job security, sales tactics"
    in 9 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

For profit online university

I have been working at Ashford University full-time

ProsFriendly co-workers. Flexible and fast moving execution. You know the expectations related to position you are at. Many will thrive in this environment, others will not and soon thereafter move on. I have seen both. Acceptable benefits.

ConsThere are well paid positions, but most others are under CA state average pay. There is really not much to complain.

Work hard...... And stress hard

I have been working at Ashford University full-time

ProsPay is great and I like what I do

ConsStress and more stress. I wish things were fair.

It's great if you don't mind being lured in with promises of "changing lives" and "no quotas," but you're just in sales.

Admissions Counselor (Current Employee)
Denver, CO

I have been working at Ashford University full-time for more than a year

ProsDecent pay, good benefits, the friends you make in training and on your teams

ConsOffice atmosphere, corporate cheerleading, micromanagement, 300+ outbound calls every day, horrible "leads" until most of the rest of your team quits, brow-beating people into educating themselves

Advice to Senior ManagementAt least be honest with people in the hiring process, especially about the turnover rate!

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Disgusting organization!

Admissions Counselor (Former Employee)

I worked at Ashford University full-time

ProsYou meet very friendly and personable people who genuinely get along with each other. It's fun to spend lunch or breaks with these people.

ConsIt can not get much worst than this in the corporate world. The job is terrible. You make phone calls all day and night and get yelled at and hung up on when the 2% of people you call that actually pick up the phone. The other 98% of time time, you are a brainless phone monkey, making call after call to no avail. The director and manager are pressured by the big boys above, so they take it out on you. You are pressured to no end, and there is absolutely nothing you can do about it. Some admissions counselors even resort to selling education to their friends and families, but do not realize that they will only hurt those that they love by doing this. The degree provides absolutely no value and all the talks of "changing lives" are merely broken promises. Please do not take this job no matter what.

Advice to Senior ManagementThis company needs a makeover. They have no direction and managers and directors are all too afraid to promote change. It's sad.

Overworked and underpaid

Student Advisor (Current Employee)

I have been working at Ashford University full-time for more than a year

ProsEducation benefits
Health Benefits
Good place to rebuild resume if coming off a layoff or job loss.

ConsConsistent exploitation of employees. They keep adding work volume and additional responsibilities without additional comensation. No employee relations. Management adjusts school ploicy and operations to maximize their compensation rather than to improve service quality and student experience.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on the student experience and raising academic quality. You will get better results by focusing on employee engagement and retention than by running a college like a telemarketing sales firm. Happy employees equal happy students and improved business results. Also, you are just plain greedy.

Middle of the road

Student Advisor (Current Employee)

I have been working at Ashford University full-time for more than 3 years

ProsPeople, coaching from leadership team

ConsWorkload, customer service can be challenging at times

Advice to Senior ManagementStop trying to quantify and qualitative job!

Online teaching- flexible but not good work-life balance

Teaching Assistant (Former Employee)
San Diego, CA

I worked at Ashford University part-time for more than a year

ProsInstruction can be fully online and on a mostly flexible schedule, with weekly deadlines and some daily requirements. While it is text-only, you can add your own multimedia to make it more engaging and effective.

ConsIf you have a day job M-F their schedule (T-Sun) can really mess up the week and you end up working 7 days a week. Recently their policies changed to increase Instructor load without a commensurate pay raise.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not overburden instructors and pay more in accordance with prevailing Higher Education rates. Please look into recruitment procedures and academic advising strategies to ensure college-readiness of students.

Stay far away

Instructional Specialist (Current Employee)

I have been working at Ashford University full-time for more than 3 years

ProsMoney- higher than public schools

Cons#1- underqualified management
#2- job security
#3- lack of credibility in institution

Advice to Senior ManagementEQMS isn't everything- treat employees like human beings.

This is a waste of your time.

Adjunct Teaching Assistant (Former Employee)
Clinton, IA

I worked at Ashford University as a contractor for more than a year

ProsGet experience with grading a high volume of student work, super flexible schedule, independence, work from home or anywhere.

ConsLow quality of education for students, unreasonable work load for pay, stock classrooms and lessons means no professional challenges, no chance to excel.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou can run your online classroom like a for-profit institution or you can make a difference in your student's lives; you can't do both. Pay your employees fairly and allow the excellent educators you have working for you to do their job better.

Interviewed for the Admissions Counselor position

Admission Counselor (Former Employee)
San Diego, CA

I worked at Ashford University full-time for less than a year

ProsThey make it sound great good benefits, flexible hours, paid education, upward mobility. Everything sounds good!

ConsThey lie to applicants in the interview. They claim it's not a sales position, I question that because it is a "for-profit" school.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't lie to applicants during the interview and if you want to come off as professional please wear a shirt and tie for the interview. First impressions are everything, but I guess first impressions don't matter, only sales!!!

Worked for Ashford University? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Ashford University reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Ashford University CEO Richard L. Pattenaude. All 236 reviews posted anonymously by Ashford University employees.