Ashford University

www.ashford.edu

Ashford University Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014
Ashford University – US – “Cubicle life”

Ashford University President Richard L. Pattenaude

Richard L. Pattenaude

Pros
  • The company offers relatively good benefits(in 26 reviews)

• Pay and benefits-good enough to sustain you while you actively seek different employment(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • It is a sales job regardless of how they spin verbiage(in 15 reviews)

• Of those, more than 100 were Admissions Counselors(in 14 reviews)

Contrary and disconnect between departments, hypocritical managers who slave drive and provide no incentives.

Admissions Counselor (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsAbility to work over time as need and a youthful exuberant staff.

ConsNo incentive for achieving more than the minimum, hypocritical slave driving managers.

Advice to Senior ManagementExpect others to do as you do not just as you say and lead by example!

The management at times was out of sorts but it has great benefits such as access to discounts for tuition.

Admissions Counselor (Former Employee) Denver, CO

ProsTuition discount for yourself and dependents.

ConsManagement changes are constant making it hard for employees to know what is going on.

Advice to Senior ManagementStability would help make employees feel better about everything.

Admissions Counselor review

Admissions Counselor (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsExtremely well trained/prepared for the job. I really liked the vibe on the floor, and most employees got along with each other well. Some of the older reps, however, who benefited from old ED regulations and who made substantially more, had an arrogance that was not cool.

ConsBullpen environment at times...not a clear path for promotion. The opportunity to participate in leadership development programs is based on interviews and eligibility criteria. One can meet the criteria, but not get much of an interview (the list of those accepted was known prior to the actual interview).

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the team vibe going...

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

This place SUCKS. Worst job of my life. Don't even bother working here.

Admissions Counselor (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsIt was a nice building, the bathrooms were nice, the cubicles were nice, a few people were nice, outside of all the gossip that happens here.

ConsWorst job ever. You are literally the annoying telemarketer that everyone hates and hangs up on. This is a telemarketing job, except worst because the leads they hand you are old and worn out. No one will want the useless degree that Ashford provides. They say they are "changing lives" by enrolling and I agree, lives are changed her for the worst. You try your best by becoming a professional scammer to scam as many students as you can. And when they figure out you've scammed them, they dropped, then you get yelled at by your manager and director as to why they dropped. The turnover rate for this job is sky-high because you either are tried of being a brainless phone money and quit, or they will fire you and hire a new batch of phone monkeys. This can easily go down as one of the worst jobs any human being can be subjected to. It's not even worth applying, much less working here.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou don't care one bit about your employees and it shows. Corporate greed sucks, and your company is the worst at it. Every employee hates it here, they are only stuck here because there is no where else to go in this economy.

Stepping Stone...

Student Advisor (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

Prosgreat benefits, and great community

Consbad structuring, unstable environment, always worried to lose your job/place

Advice to Senior Managementhire better managers

Accessible education to the masses!

Military Admissions Counselor (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsWonderful concept, excellent training program, stellar benefits, fair pay, flexible schedule, amazing coworkers, and WASC accredited!

Consrough transition from the "old" way of doing things to the new and improved way

Advice to Senior ManagementLet it be what it is... a University.

Drank the Kool Aid. Sold my soul in hopes of making it with a growing company.

Enrollment Advisor (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsDecent Salary
    Some great people
    Benefits
    Learned how to do manipulative and fear based sales
    Rewards and incentives in the beginning (college fridays)
    Company trip to Las Vegas

ConsCutt throat sales
    Terrible upper and lower management
    Demoralizing if you're not reaching goals
    Fake
    Their accreditation almost going down the toilet should tell you something.
    Back stabbed by manager - after I told her I had an interview to do a lateral transfer. She cancelled it behind my back due to the lack of performance on my team then fired me.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive your sales staff solid reasons to stay onboard after 6 months, lower quotas,

White Color sweatshop

University Advisor (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

Prosdecent pay, free fitness facility, centrally located. blah blah balh blah

ConsIf you want to go to work and be made to feel an inadequate failure this is the place for you. They will tell you they are a "lead rich" company. what they don't tell you is they buy the cheapest leads possible that they will admit only convert at 2%, give you anywhere from 100-200 of these leads a month then expect you to enroll 15 students on a monthly basis. Due the math...IT's NEARLY IMPOSSIBLE TO SUSTAIN! Then they give you a database of old leads that have been called hundreds of times and expect you to enroll from that. They give a nice starting salary but make you mentally earn every penny and then some. My entire team is constantly in fear of losing their jobs. This is a classic fear based leadership model. For a company that admittedly has a bad reputation in the community they have done nothing to change their public image. Talk to ten people and I would bet at least one has worked for this place at some point and I would venture to guess they wouldn't have anything good to say about it.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop living in the past. The for profit industry is changing. The way you do business is changing. You have good people that you are firing everyday. Make the expectations feasible. You will have a happier and much more productive staff.

My time as admissions counselor

Admissions Counselor (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsAshford was a fun place to work. Great wages, the people I worked with were awesome, and you could not beat the benefits,

ConsThe training was very poor. Becoming a counselor should take more than two weeks of training. During that two weeks of training, minimal time is spent on the phone with students. If "counselors" are under performing, more training should be offered or be offered other positions at the school versus being laid off,

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease do not hire employees in large groups with expectations to lay off large groups without offering other positions available at the school first.

wish it was better

Admissions Counselor (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

Prosi like the cafe and i like the benefits and the location and co workers i like the cafe and i like the benefits and the location and co workers

Conscompany doesnt care about employees they would fire most anyone for no reason company doesnt care about employees they would fire most anyone for no reason

Advice to Senior Managementcare about the employees

Worked for Ashford University? Contribute to the Community!