Ashford University
ashford.edu San Diego, CA 1000 to 5000 Employees

Ashford University Reviews

Updated Apr 8, 2014
Ashford University – US – “Cubicle life”

Ashford University President Richard L. Pattenaude

Richard L. Pattenaude

Pros:
  • "The company offers relatively good benefits"
    in 25 reviews
  • "Great benefits package with vacation/sick/holidays; they offer overtime frequently"
    in 14 reviews
Cons:
  • "The company will tell you it's not a sales job, but the environment is very high pressure"
    in 14 reviews
  • "High-pressure, no job security, sales tactics"
    in 9 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Once growing

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Ashford University full-time for more than 3 years

ProsUniversity is pretty well established as a newer for-profit school. Rapid growth led to over hiring early on and great place to establish a career for working in post-education.

ConsRapid growth led to over-hiring which then led to many people being let go voluntarily and involuntarily. Business plan implementation was fairly weak which led to bad communication and overall lower employee morale due to frustration.

Degree Mill

Enrollment Advisor (Former Employee)

I worked at Ashford University full-time for more than a year

Prosthey do have a gym at the kearny mesa location and they have a decent kitchen. starting pay is higher than many other enerty level sales jobs

Consterrible leads, high sales pressure, they drink the cool-aid over there er'day. changing lives!...more like scamming people out of government aid!

Ashford University

Enrollment Advisor (Former Employee)

I worked at Ashford University full-time for more than 3 years

ProsPay was decent, okay benefits, co-workers were friendly, most holidays off

ConsFrequent lay-offs, hard to move up

Advice to Senior ManagementHR needs to have accountability and really find out why there is low morale

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Do it only for the money

I have been working at Ashford University

ProsGood benefits, free Master's degree, steady paycheck. Co-workers were pretty awesome as well.

ConsWhere shall I begin? With all the accreditation issues, cliquey work environment and mediocre managers at best,it was tough to stomach coming to work some days. What kept me going were the few great students, a steady paycheck, as well as a free advanced degree.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet some qualified people,not just your buddies that may not know the day of the week.

Ashford University not recommended

Financial Services Advisor (Former Employee)

I worked at Ashford University full-time for more than a year

ProsDecent pay. Good location. Decent benefits.

ConsUpper management is very unorganized and lacks communication skills. Company changes direction continually without considering all pro's and con's and are very rarely prepared for serious issues, the company is very re-active instead of proactive. Management seems far too young and provide very little effort in helping people learn, grow, or advance. Lack of training is also a serious issue.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire your managers based on experience and skill instead of hiring friends. Communicate clearly with your entire staff.

Good place to start career

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Ashford University

ProsGreat schedule, excellent coworkers, good benefits, excellent opportunity to grow with leadership skills.

ConsCompany grew too fast and had to make severe organizational changes with personnel. Some of upper management have lost touch with putting the student first, rather than operational goals. I feel that by putting the student first the operational goals will follow.

Best for-profit school I've worked for- I've been treated well.

Associate Faculty (Online) (Current Employee)
Denver, CO

I have been working at Ashford University as a contractor for more than 5 years

ProsPay is good. Support is available for online instructors. Class sizes are reasonable. University is trying to secure proper accreditation to stay viable.

ConsFor-profit colleges/universities are under scrutiny for high federal aid given/low repay rates. Legislation in the works that might put my job in jeopardy.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue keeping class sizes manageable and meet requirements to keep federal aid coming to students (without which school will go under).

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

It's just a job.

Admissions Counselor (Former Employee)

I worked at Ashford University full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood benefits; secure building with gym and cafeteria on-site; can take months to get fired if you stop producing

ConsThe training focused on sales tactics and not on the programs offered. Pretty intense office politics. Parking can be bad. As an employee, everything you say and do is permanently on record and could haunt you. Pay inequality: many advisers make $100k but produce less than qualified vets who make 40k

Advice to Senior ManagementYou probably bagged groceries at your last job and still think 'library' is pronounced 'li-berry.'

Was a great experience

Student Services Coordinator (Current Employee)
Clinton, IA

I have been working at Ashford University full-time for more than a year

ProsCulture and drive of student services to help students

Conscommunication between staff and leadership, while evolving, needs more improvement

A good stepping-stone/entry-level position.

Admissions Counselor (Current Employee)
San Diego, CA

I have been working at Ashford University full-time for less than a year

ProsGood pay, good benefits, positive/fun environment.

ConsHigh-pressure, no job security, sales tactics.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe positive and enthusiastic with your employees.

Worked for Ashford University? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Ashford University reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Ashford University CEO Richard L. Pattenaude. All 235 reviews posted anonymously by Ashford University employees.