Ashford University

Updated November 11, 2014
2.5

Ashford University President Richard L. Pattenaude
Richard L. Pattenaude

Pros
  • The company offers relatively good benefits (in 29 reviews)

• Good pay for the amount of time put in (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • It is a sales job regardless of how they spin verbiage (in 16 reviews)

• Senior Management is very reactive and any type of job security is non-existent (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Admissions Counselor

Current Employee - Admissions Counselor in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Ashford University full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people you work with on your team are probably the only good thing about being at Ashford. They're generally all great and helpful people.

Cons

They are strictly numbers oriented with no consideration for the actual students you're enrolling. They don't care if the person is mentally unfit to be a student or has the IQ of a toddler, they just want their money from people you sign-up. The place will tell you different when you first begin working there and while you're in training but don't be fooled, if you're not producing enough students (regardless of how many qualified people you talk to) you'll soon be fired. The people we enroll often have no business even thinking about school. They are simply there to get a student loan check.

Quit the charade and tell it like it is.

Ask a lot of questions

I worked at Ashford University

Pros

Benefits were pretty good for the position

Cons

Too many to list here.

Hire experienced management rather than cheap inexperienced people

I just started, but wow, is this place not ethical!

Current Employee - Enrollment Advisor in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Enrollment Advisor in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Ashford University full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Some really fun people to work with.

Cons

So far I've been told this is an old, reputable University in Iowa that wanted to start making it easier for people to obtain a good degree, but turns out, this company bought the location in Iowa not long ago by a guy and investors that used to work for another online college degree company. They only bought the cheap Iowa location to give them credibility and to make is easier to get accreditation.
    No matter what they tell me, it’s a sales job and you are asked to really push people to get sign up for classes, not because of some honorable reason that will help people, but because it's profitable for the company.
    This so called school isn’t respected and in fact there are many legal infractions against this company and there are people on the good side of education that want to close diploma mills down and this is the quintessential diploma mill.
    The environment is rows and rows of little cubical with people making hundreds of calls in a day to sell a worthless degree. They sign innocent people who don’t know they are taking classes from a company that won’t help their career.

Shut it down! You are a literally stealing the spirit of hope and effort from innocent people in order to profit!

Could not stand sitting in a cubicle making 150+ calls a day

Former Employee - Admissions Counselor in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Admissions Counselor in Denver, CO

I worked at Ashford University full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Pay is pretty good for a recent college grad. Employees are very fun to work with... all in the same age group (recently just graduated college). Great location in downtown Denver. Many restaurants and bars to go to after work.

Cons

Everything. Management is awful. They will treat you like a child. Even if you exceed, you are still getting paid the same amount as everyone else. This is a sales job, it needs to be commission-based. Managers are all micro-mangers, you even have to let them know when you are going to the bathroom. You have to work here for about 4-5 years to even be considered a promotion or raise. Be prepared to make about 150+ calls a day until you finally find a potential student and beg them to come to our school and soon find out that they will drop out within weeks.

Stop the micro-managing. Stop the high school drama. There is so much jealousy and fighting between teams, it is so ridiculous.

Went through some rough patches, trying to make positive changes.

I have been working at Ashford University full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Overall the leadership is trying to place student success and learning as a top priority. We have some great leaders, we have received WASC accreditation, and we have policies and practices in place to continue to make positive improvements overall.

Cons

Politics has always been a bit of an issue. For the last few years certain departments feel they are always fighting for resources in order to do their job well. Not much room for additional opportunities at this time. Again, leadership is aware of many of these issues or concerns and are listening to their employees and care about making changes to improve culture and productivity.

Keep listening to your employees and let us know you are listening by responding will solutions.

Interesting corporate structure.

Former Employee - University Advisor in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - University Advisor in San Diego, CA

I worked at Ashford University full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Benefits are good. Work environment is bright and cheery. Great people working there. It is primarily a 30 something culture. Has the feel of a college campus. Great job for fist time out of college. Good pay. Very fast paced environment.

Cons

Training does not give a clear picture of what the job really is. High end phone sweat shop.

Management all sounds like a cookie cutter rehearsal. They have been trained to state corporate designed responses. All sound like robots. The majority of managers have limited people skills. But in that type of environment, best to have sheep managing sheep.

Great place to work

Current Employee - University Advisor in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - University Advisor in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Ashford University full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I have been working for Ashford for almost 5 years and find it is a great place to work if you avoid getting too caught up with other people's negativity. It is hard to stay away from as this company has a high turnover rate however, if you do, you might find that you really enjoy your co-workers and your position.

Cons

It can be a hard type of environment to get used to for someone coming from a different industry.

Thought I had a promising future there...

Current Employee - Manager in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Ashford University full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I loved what I did, I loved the people I worked with, and the tuition benefits were great!

Cons

Lack of communication between departments, management, and executive leadership led to lots of wasted time on failed initiatives and often created more work instead of streamlining processes for employees to make their days more productive and less stressful. Absolutely no job security, even if you are a good performer and show commitment and dedication to the organization. Employees are constantly in fear that they will get laid off and they are constantly pushed to perform to unrealistic expectations. While they offer generous vacation benefits, taking time off leaves you so far behind and stressed out that you either a) don't take vacation, b) work while on your vacation c) take vacation and then get inn trouble when you return because you can't catch up quickly from the amount of work that piled up while you were out. Guess which option I went with? I will give you a hint...it wasn't C.

Better communication! Promotions should be based on abilities, not popularity and after-hours social events. I have seen many good employees get laid off just because they didn't party, while people who grossly violate policies and ethics are given promotions and incentives.

It was Sales dressed up like education, but some skills were transferable

Former Employee - Admissions Counselor in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Admissions Counselor in San Diego, CA

I worked at Ashford University full-time (more than an year)

Pros

If you're looking to get a sales job and hit things like calls per day and make a calling strategy this is simply that. There are benefits for those who can get past the selling school to people who get afford it aspect. The people tend to be good because everyone is in the same boat and as long as you're not looking for personal fulfillment you could earn a paycheck and get paid holidays off.

Cons

You are a number. If the school ever loses it's accreditation or if it isn't profitable it will close. I worked there during an accreditation scare and a lot of people jumped ship. The managers are generally promoted if they are good sales people, which doesn't always make for good managers. It can be stressful if you are behind, but if you can stay under the radar and produce they'll leave you along. If you don't produce, your number is up.

Cultivate better leadership as opposed to encouraging micromanagement. This advice won't get taken because the company is looking for a profit, but I'm long past my anger over working here.

Great pay, great benefits including TR, but NO GROWTH.

Current Employee - Admissions Counselor in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Ashford University full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Ashford University has a great mission of serving the under served in educational goals. The benefits as an employee was great and some of the coworkers were so much fun. You grow professionally there and challenge yourself in ways no other job will. I came in with extensive sales, communication, counseling and management experience so I didn't experience problems like others.

Cons

Highly-stressful, cold-calling environment and if you have a bad manager, good luck!. Departments lack integration and communication. Not enough student and financial advisors so admissions takes on double the work. Though I wasn't a victim of one and was on a top team, many people face lay offs and if you don't come with great communication skills and quick thinking, you won't survive. it takes a certain individual to stay there. They don't appreciate long-term loyal and qualified employees. I would have stayed if I got moved up in the positions but that did not happen for reasons I will say are "favoritism" or "personal."

You lose too many wonderful and loyal employees who just need more appreciation and higher pay. Though you added new positions with higher pay, it is rarely seen that people get that promotion and a "slap to the face" when you hire someone externally for it. Managers need a lot of education as they lack leadership and new strategies.

Ashford University Photos