Ashford University

www.ashford.edu
Profile Unclaimed

Good company culture

Current Employee - Admissions Counselor in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Ashford University full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Friendly staff and great employee culture

Cons

No a lot of upward mobility for promotions.

Promote from within for management positions

Great to bad

Former Employee - University Advisor in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - University Advisor in San Diego, CA

I worked at Ashford University full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great people to work with

Cons

Cut backs made the job stressful.

Do not limit resources and raise expectations. This creates a toxic work environment.

bad management

Current Employee - Admissions Counselor in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Admissions Counselor in Denver, CO

I have been working at Ashford University full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Met some great employees, everyone is around the same age. OK pay for just getting out of college.

Cons

Horrible micro-management. Very salesy job. not really a counseling job. 150+ cold calls a day.

Stop micro-managing!

Exciting, fast-growth environment, but ethically questionable business

I worked at Ashford University full-time

Pros

Opportunities for advancement existed for employees with brains willing to put in extra effort and buy into the mission. Good benefits. Good if you like a challenging, high-pressure, fast-changing environment.

Cons

It's half university, half aggressive business. Or more like one quarter university and three quarters aggressive business. Nothing wrong with an aggressive business per se, but Ashford aggressively enrolls people in college who have no business being in college, who probably wouldn't be in college if a telemarketer hadn't talked them into it. Then it gets them signed up for government loans, and that money becomes Ashford's revenue. The problem? People who don't belong in college don't finish college. But they wind up in debt just the same.

Too much rollover hiring, not enough training

Former Employee - Admissions Counselor in San Diego, CA

I worked at Ashford University full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The pay was great, $18.75 per hour. That's the only thing great about this company.

Cons

Every three months they hire new edu-telemarketers. That's all this job is. Your telemarketing, making calls on internet leads for people who expressed interest or accidentally clicked on a college ad. As a recruiter, you are sharing that lead with other online schools. Highly competitive and the leads are really bad. You end up calling the same person ten times per day.

Fires Talent Because Something is Wrong

Current Employee - Admissions Counselor in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Ashford University full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This work place is full of people with incredible personalities and identities. You won't survive here unless you have that. That being said -some of the best relationships I've had were from this place. People are interesting and fun. Compensation is competitive and benefits are good. There is a gym and cafeteria on location. As long as you can enroll and retain the students you are good.

Cons

As long as you can enroll and retain students you are good. The problem with this sentence is that it is very hard to not stay on the roller coaster. Meaning, you will do well you will be busy enrolling but once you spend time with your current students your prospecting time goes down and you stop enrolling. It's seriously a viscous circle. Very talented people get fired all of time here. I like to say Ashford has hired and fired half of San Diego. They'll get it right one day.

Roller Coaster: The admission counselor or UA position is really 3 positions in one. You will be a "Prospector"-calling 150-300+ people looking for warm leads while taking notes in the CRM and following up with people you said you would call back throughout the day. You will be a "Closer" walking those warm leads through the application and getting all of the necessary documents to be prepped and qualified for enrollment. And lastly, you will be their support in their first couple classes ((2-5 week classes) 70 days or if you count the introductory class add 2 additional weeks), helping them solve computer issues, internet issues, maintain interest until they can get financial aid, resetting passwords, making sure they pass with a 70% or better answering questions about financial aid (even though we are supposed to be stone cold steve austin- telling them sorry can't talk about financial aid but you can try calling your FSA that you can never get a hold of). If one of these is out of whack your whole month for students can be a nightmare. Which brings me to ask- Have you ever tried separating these roles? I'm sure you guys have talked about this but it just seems like a problem since most people go through this there.

Terrible place to work

Former Employee - Admissions Counselor in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Admissions Counselor in Denver, CO

I worked at Ashford University full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The pay and location are pretty decent. The quality of people they hire is pretty spectacular as well. Beyond those qualities, there is nothing.

Cons

Everything else. Unrealistic expectations. The quotas you are expected to meet are ridiculous. You are constantly told how you are going to lose your job. The job sucks the life out of very good people.

What does it matter? It's a for profit university--the scum of the scum.

Initially Ashford University was a great company to work for...

Former Employee - Director in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Director in San Diego, CA

I worked at Ashford University full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

During the growth period (2008 - 2012) the company had quite a few opportunities for career advancement for those who showed initiative and leadership capabilities. Just like most large corporations the department(s) you work in and Manager you work for will determine if you enjoy your job or not. I have to say that I enjoyed each Manager that I worked for and department that I worked in.

The direction of Ashford University definitely changed for the positive after Dr. Pattenaude became President / CEO. He is an inspirational person who leads you to believe in the University mission. Students & employees should be happy that Dr. P is at the helm of Ashford University.

Cons

Unfortunately, the reality of Ashford University for the past couple years:

- increased govt. scrutiny & competition in for profit higher education industry causing a stressful work environment and constant fear of losing accreditation and potentially being shut down
    - year over year reduction in student enrollments causing layoffs
    - productive employees (Management & Staff) with quarterly / annual review scores of 4+ out of 5 being laid off due to budget cuts

The life of a student advisor

Current Employee - Student Advisor in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Student Advisor in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Ashford University full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good pay, decent insurance options, and a good level of autonomy. I can come in almost any hour in the morning I want as long as I work my 8 hours and leave before 6pm. I work on my own pace and learn which tasks are a priority to complete. Coaching and counseling students feel rewarding. They allow quite a bit of overtime. The feeling of helping a student through their journey to graduate is great too. I saw a couple of my students at their graduation and it made it all worth it.

Cons

The people I work with are incredible, and the managers are pretty cool people too. I feel frustrated with the more business-minded leaders push high expectations on the advisors that I feel like a sales person trying to keep students in.

The leadership has improved significantly. My advise to managers is to never forget your student advising days, but also remember that the expectations were different then and the new expectations are harsher than when they were in my position.

You gotta give them what you get paid for!

Former Employee - Admissions Counselor in San Diego, CA

I worked at Ashford University full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The pay and company benefits are really great. Also, depending on your manager you can have a great work environment.

Cons

High turnover rate, change is constant, no loyalty to employee

Don't drink the Kool-Aid!

Ashford University Photos