www.ashford.edu

Updated October 18, 2014
2.6

Ashford University President Richard L. Pattenaude
Richard L. Pattenaude

Pros
  • The company offers relatively good benefits (in 29 reviews)

• Good pay for the amount of time put in (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • It is a sales job regardless of how they spin verbiage (in 16 reviews)

• Senior Management is very reactive and any type of job security is non-existent (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Good place to start career

I worked at Ashford University

Pros

Great schedule, excellent coworkers, good benefits, excellent opportunity to grow with leadership skills.

Cons

Company grew too fast and had to make severe organizational changes with personnel. Some of upper management have lost touch with putting the student first, rather than operational goals. I feel that by putting the student first the operational goals will follow.

Best for-profit school I've worked for- I've been treated well.

Current Employee - Associate Faculty (Online) in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Associate Faculty (Online) in Denver, CO

I have been working at Ashford University as a contractor (more than 5 years)

Pros

Pay is good. Support is available for online instructors. Class sizes are reasonable. University is trying to secure proper accreditation to stay viable.

Cons

For-profit colleges/universities are under scrutiny for high federal aid given/low repay rates. Legislation in the works that might put my job in jeopardy.

Continue keeping class sizes manageable and meet requirements to keep federal aid coming to students (without which school will go under).

University Advisor

Current Employee - University Advisor in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - University Advisor in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Ashford University full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The only good thing about this place is the paycheck. Period.

Cons

This is the most mismanaged organization I have ever been a part of. They constantly change procedures on just about every aspect of the enrollment/advisement process which creates a continuous state of confusion among different departments, they have a history of lay-offs and lawsuits and they have one of the worst morale problems I've ever seen. Bottom line- YOU don't matter... Only your enrollment numbers do.

Get some people in leadership who actually know what they are doing. Send out an anonymous climate survey to your employees... You will be surprised how dissatisfied your employees are. There's a reason a high percentage of admissions has taken a stress leave of absence.

Was a great experience

Current Employee - Student Services Coordinator in Clinton, IA
    Current Employee - Student Services Coordinator in Clinton, IA

I have been working at Ashford University full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Culture and drive of student services to help students

Cons

communication between staff and leadership, while evolving, needs more improvement

Admissions Counselor

Former Employee - Admissions Counselor in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Admissions Counselor in Denver, CO

I worked at Ashford University full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-Nice location.
    -Meet great people.
    -Decent benefits

Cons

-Don't let them fool you, this is a high pressure telemarketing job.
    -Highly unethical company. CEO voted one of the greediest in America. High student fees with a very low percentage of that money actually going towards education.
    -In spite of what you are told, there are quotas you are expected to meet. The catch is they are not allowed to tell you what the quota is, so you have to guess and hope you meet it.
    -No incentives
    -I was encouraged to lie to prospective students on multiple occasions to try to get them to enroll.
    -I once got called into a meeting with two managers and a director to discuss my posture and they way I sat at my desk. They wanted me to "look" more engaged as I talked on the phone.
    -I had 10 bosses. All telling me to do things differently, all getting upset if I didn't do it their way, all looking over my shoulder constantly to monitor every minute of my day.

Give your employees some space and trust they know how to do their job. Treating adults like children creates poor moral and decreases productivity and employee satisfaction.

Place employees in positions that match their skill set. It makes no sense to force employees to prove themselves in a position that is a poor match for their skills in order to get into a position that does match their skills. It's poor utilization of the skills of your employees and leads to a higher turnover rate than is necessary.

Worst Job Ever

Former Employee - Admissions Counselor
    Former Employee - Admissions Counselor

I worked at Ashford University full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Lots of overtime (whether you want it or not).

Cons

The overall atmosphere, very high pressured sales but they get mad if you refer to your position as such

Treat your employees like people

Learning Technology Specialist

Current Employee - Learning Technology Specialist in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Learning Technology Specialist in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Ashford University full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Managers really cared about their team for the most part. During hard times, managers would have team meetings to help keep moral moving, however most of these great managers ended up leaving.

Cons

Low pay, nearly 30% below market value. Layoffs occur twice in 6 months, and was volunteer leave or random selection if not enough people left. The CEO was voted Bloomberg's greediest man in the USA.

Is it a school or a business. if its a school, give us the benefits we deserve. If its a business, give us the salary we deserve.

Former Employee - Enrollment Advisor in San Diego, CA

I worked at Ashford University full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pay was decent, okay benefits, co-workers were friendly, most holidays off

Cons

Frequent lay-offs, hard to move up

HR needs to have accountability and really find out why there is low morale

Degree Mill

Former Employee - Enrollment Advisor in San Diego, CA

I worked at Ashford University full-time (more than an year)

Pros

they do have a gym at the kearny mesa location and they have a decent kitchen. starting pay is higher than many other enerty level sales jobs

Cons

terrible leads, high sales pressure, they drink the cool-aid over there er'day. changing lives!...more like scamming people out of government aid!

Do it only for the money

I have been working at Ashford University

Pros

Good benefits, free Master's degree, steady paycheck. Co-workers were pretty awesome as well.

Cons

Where shall I begin? With all the accreditation issues, cliquey work environment and mediocre managers at best,it was tough to stomach coming to work some days. What kept me going were the few great students, a steady paycheck, as well as a free advanced degree.

Get some qualified people,not just your buddies that may not know the day of the week.

Ashford University Photos